The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default Greatest thing your mom EVER did for you!

Other than bring you into this world, or choose to make you her own

In 1985 my town raised mom used her first commission check from a house she sold to buy a $1500, 12.2 roan gelding for 2 horse crazy girls. And paid to field board him, which was $90 a month if he could be used in the lesson program.

We had him for 25 years. Thanks Mom!!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My mom firmly planted the horsey bug in me. Women have been riding in my family for many generations.

I have to credit both of my parents for maintaining the horse bug. I got my first riding lesson for my 8th birthday and a horse when I was 10. I never realized until many years later, the sacrifices my parents made for me to keep that horse, even after my dad was laid off from his job when I was 12.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Default gardening

My mom used to talk me out in the yard and "make me" help her weed. Little did she know-or did she-that I would love gardening and weeding forever!
    Thanks Mom!

My mom has her fair share of idiosyncracies but she was and has always been a great horse show mom. I am sure she would have rather spent my teen years doing something other than shuttling me and the horse trailer all over the East Coast to shows and lessons, but she did.

I still try to get her to go with me to all my horse events, even though she lives half a country away. It just doesn't feel like a horse show without her.

Allow me to ride and show, despite the fact that it scares her so. THANKS, MOM!

My Mom showed great respect for my privacy, never snooped through my things, never opened my mail, and she also encouraged me to be independent at an earlier age than other kids (such as taking the bus downtown by myself to swimming or music lessons when I was 9 or 10). Both my grandmothers were appalled.

(Of course if she had gone through my stuff she would have been bored silly since I was a very studious little kid not prone to getting into trouble or doing the kid of things parents fret about. All that came later.)
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

It's not just one thing...it's several. Taught me to speak my mind. Taught me to stand up for what's right, regardless of the consequences to myself. Taught me that women are just as valuable and capable as men.

My Mom was very cool.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

A lot.

Gave me life - the greatest gift of all, as we were reminded in church today!
    Gave me two awesome little sisters to share that life with.
    Bought me a pony (well with dad) then a horse.
    Let me travel & explore to my hearts content, and welcomed me home after!

I have the best mom in the world <3
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My mom was a pioneers and one of the more forward thinkers for her time. My grandfather basically made her "the son" he never had. So during the 1920's and 1930's he raised her as such so she had the self confidence to do many things that were against the norm of the day. She was one of the first WAAC commissioned in WWII. She helped out our housekeeper so much in the 1950's to get her rights due to her that when Gussie passed away, my mother and I were the only white faces at the services. She drove the truck and trailer all over the Southwest when I could not drive and rode shotgun when I could drive. Held horses, braided tails, made my show clothes including a pair of breeches(back in the day of poufy sides) and went on 3-day pack trips in the Gila Widerness. I found in her things when she passed horse show ribbons from the twenties and thirties
    The greatest thing she ever did for me was to believe in me.

RIP Mama
    Capt Marjorie F. Sieplein Day 1914-2006

As a non-horse person, she found a way to get me a pony when I was 11.

She also worked so a FT job to cover my private college tuition. I have used that education to build a good career.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Indulged my horsey aspirations with toys and story books.The most important thing she did was tell me that if I wanted it badly enough, I would find a way. She taught me to dream and work hard to achieve them.

Thanks Ma!
    bad decisions make good stories

My mom and I are *complete* opposites. It has often been hard to find common ground.

But she has always always understood my love for horses and she is the one who made riding happen for me. I'm forever grateful for that, especially since she didn't have a horsey bone in her body, but somehow knew how important it was to me.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    My mom and I are *complete* opposites. It has often been hard to find common ground.

But she has always always understood my love for horses and she is the one who made riding happen for me. I'm forever grateful for that, especially since she didn't have a horsey bone in her body, but somehow knew how important it was to me.
    This was my Mother as well, right down the line.

The greatest thing she ever did for me and for us, was to gather her courage, with little education and fear for the future, and to take me and leave my abusive dad. It had gotten to a point where we feared for our lives as his obsession for guns was growing as well as his hatred for mankind. A month later, he committed suicide. I don't think either one of us would be here today if she had not taken that courageous step.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Reading, reading, READING to me from the time my little shoe-button eyes were open. I was reading on my own by Age 4, & not because I was some kind of genius, but because both my parents enjoyed reading & sharing that enjoyment.

Also cooking & gardening - both of which started as soon as I could toddle around & both of which have become lifelong serious hobbies.

She bought an old palomino mare that she'd seen a little boy riding. All because she had loved the handful of times shed ridden a horse and wanted to give that to her horse crazy girls. And she bought feed, waited for vets and farriers and fed when we couldn't. Gave up living in town so we could have the horses with us. Thank you ever so much Mother.

She raised me with the over-arching idea that I had choices in life, in everything from "red sippy-cup or blue sippy-cup" to what extracurricular activities to pursue to my college major/career. My grandparents, while wonderful people, were of a generation and a culture in which individual autonomy was not emphasized, and had a pretty rigid style of parenting. She wanted something different for her kids.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

There are a lot of things I really appreciate that my mom did. We didn't have the best relationship when my folks were still married, but she still did a lot of very positive things for me.

One of the things that I'm very thankful for was the day she gave my my Cheyenne. I'd always had access to horses as we had several. But I got my own WEANLING. When she was born, I was the first person she ever saw. I wanted that horse for my own DESPERATELY. But mom said she and the other foal from that spring had to be sold.

Imagine my surprise then when on my 13th bday, I was blindfolded in front of all my little girlfriends at an ALREADY surprise party and led out on the back patio to receive my gift...which happened to be my Cheyenne. I'm heading out to see her now. After 22 years, she's still the best gift I've ever gotten. My mom made horses possible for me and it's been the one constant we've had between us over the years.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My Mother, who is still with us, always was the class mother, the mother who drove us to piano and ballet and riding lessons, the mother who was on duty 24/7 and never criticized. Always there, all the time, never critical, always supportive.

You mean beside teaching me that I could do anything I put my mind to (by example)? Beside teaching me to think and act independently (by example)? Beside having a spirit of adventure and a love of nature and outdoor adventure? Besides being strong and tough as nails, but kind and thoughtful too?

How about being unafraid to get old? At 84 she is still an adventure traveler, hiker, kayaker, swimmer, gardener, and maintenance provider. My Mom has taught me to squeeze the absolute best out of life every single minute of it!

Love you Mom! Thanks!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

My mom was and still is a big believer in my dreams. She learned how to a drive a horse trailer to take me to lessons and shows. She always wonders how my horse is and what he is doing. She will take pictures at shows when we are ready.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage