The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

DMK,

I agree ... is it too late to start a "Greenspan 4 President" movement??? I think it would be a more palatable solution to everyone's woes!!!!

Well what a mess this has become. Bush or Gore already!!! By the way Who the heck is Nader? Didn't even know he was running until they showed him with 2% of the vote??? http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/confused.gif Isn't there a better way to do this voting thing?

[This message has been edited by Smiles (edited 11-08-2000).]
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by horsenut:
    The way I understand absentee ballots, at least here in Mass., is that they're supposed to be in by Election Day. So can anyone tell me why these things weren't the first things they started counting in the morning? I don't get it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on the state. For instance, in Oregon, they have to be Postmarked before midnight Nov 7, so some of them haven't even been delivered yet. Don't know about Florida.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

It is a mess!!!! Shame on the media for playing the "first to announce a winner game"!!!! They got it wrong twice! I think their irresponsible and cavalier attitude hurts the election process!!! Shame on you CNN, MSNBC, FOX and the rest for putting your ratings ahead of the democratic process that separates the United States from the masses of countries in this world who can not offer their citizenry a fair and unbiased election process!!!!

Here in Florida absentee ballots must be postmarked by election day. It is a big mess, not the least of it is all the people in Palm Beach County who inadvertently voted for Buchanan of all people.

After listening to CNN on the web all day, I think I have this straight. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The absentee ballots they're waiting 10 days for are OVERSEAS absentee ballots. They have to be postmarked by election day. In 1996, there were about 2300 of them, and they were about 53 percent for Dole, who was the Republican candidate. I think the regular absentee ballots were due on election day, but I'm not sure about that. I think those have already been counted.

I was watching the Today show this morning, and Tom Brokaw commented on how the networks had awarded Florida to Gore, taken it back, etc. Apparently studies have analyzed voter turnout in western states, trying to figure out whether or not television affects it. According to the studies, it doesn't have an effect.

The networks are in a tough spot... I know I was sitting there all night dying for results. We're so used to instant news these days, that the concept of not knowing immediately is really frustrating!

Florida has a huge absentee ballot due to the large amount of military stationed here. That is, the Navy. At any one time when a aircraft carrier is out we are talking about at least 5000 at sea. What I find amazing is that there is a 1763 difference between Gore and Bush in Florida. Those 1763 votes (unless recount changes these figures) will determine our next president of the United States. So you see, EVERY vote counts! These are fascinating odds!

Erin- my alarm went off, and i got up and went to cnn.com and have been there all day!! The ONLY news on the web to rely on!!!

Hattie, I also heard this morning that some of the overseas absentee ballots are American Jews who live is Israel. If that is true, then the estimates that these votes will go to Bush may not be accurate.

Reporting from the front lines of Florida:
    With the recount half done Gore has picked up an additional 700 votes. A re-vote in Palm Beach County is sounding more and more plausible with the revelation that 17,000 ballotts had to be thrown out, yes thrown out because the voters had voted, apparently by accident for Gore and Buchanan.

My what a mess.

Here's the latest....
    http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/...ent/index.html

Pretty amazing...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HATTIE:
    Florida has a huge absentee ballot due to the large amount of military stationed here. That is, the Navy. At any one time when a aircraft carrier is out we are talking about at least 5000 at sea. What I find amazing is that there is a 1763 difference between Gore and Bush in Florida. Those 1763 votes (unless recount changes these figures) will determine our next president of the United States. So you see, EVERY vote counts! These are fascinating odds!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hattie, from what I have heard, everything you say is true, but apparently just by coincidence, this election no carriers based in FLA happened to be at sea, so there should be many fewer military absentee ballots that usual -- but as with everything else in this election, who really knows? Incidentally, at noon EST, the news reports say that at the halfway point in the recount, Bush's lead is down to about 900 votes. Ain't it all amazing! I think we have zoomed right past "weird" and are now tanking up at "surrealistic" on our way to "Kafkaesque" *smile*

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Someone on this forum who's opinion I really respect remarked to me that the military votes may not be as pro-Bush as everyone thinks, because of Cheney, who (my memory fails me here, was he Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of Defense or something else related to the military?) was responsible for some pretty serious military cuts, which may have angered the military absentee voters.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Boy, I am just finding this whole saga totally gripping. How amazing that some 100 million votes were cast, and that the race could be decided by a couple hundred votes in Florida!

As one of those people who's always bugged people to vote because "every vote counts," I'm totally amazed to see it actually happen. Of course, I didn't get to vote in this election, because I haven't yet registered in Maryland and my absentee ballot from Arizona never showed up! Wah!!

Anyway, I hope this will spark more interest in elections in the future. It's such an amazing thing to watch a democracy at work, no matter which way it turns out.

Off my sappy political soapbox for the day. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

i think the liberal press called fla for gore early tp discourage Bush voter turnout in the midwest and western states.

Ugh, I hate "liberal press" conspiracy theories. People give the media way too much credit sometimes.

The networks called Florida for Gore at about 8 p.m. Eastern time. I don't know for sure what time polls closed in the midwest, but at MOST, there was probably an hour of voting left in the Central time zone. (Not counting the whole poll-closing-time-changing fiasco in Missouri.) And, as I mentioned in a previous post, studies have apparently shown that TV coverage during an election does little to influence voter turnout.

And didn't Bush win just about every western state, except for California, which was strongly for Gore from the get-go? I don't think the liberal media helped Gore much in the West. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

There's an article in the Washington Post about the networks' flubbing of Florida -- basically, they got erroneous data. Did they jump the gun? Yes, undoubtedly. But did they do it to change the outcome of the election? Phooey. They did it to be able to claim that they were first. They did it for ratings. That's what pays their bills.

There are some very self-deprecating comments by Brokaw and Rather in the Post article. They know they goofed. The article's quite good:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2000Nov8.html

[This message has been edited by Erin (edited 11-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jumpcrew:
    i think the liberal press called fla for gore early tp discourage Bush voter turnout in the midwest and western states.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I disagree ... as Erin already pointed out above, studies show that the Eastern votes historically don't affect Western voter turnout. On top of that, I would hardly call ABC, NBC, CBC, CNN, etc. "liberal press".

Personally I think FL was called early because we are all so eager for news and all the outlets are so eager to be the first to report it. There's no mistaking the fact that Peter Jennings, for example, was extremely red-faced over the rush to judgment.

Wow, Erin, you and I think alike! I guess you and I were posting at the same time, or I would have just pointed to your post and said, "Ditto". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Horsenut, I'm glad someone agrees with me... otherwise I'm just another conspirator from the liberal media. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Earthto? - you are right, I learned there were no carriers out after I posted, however, my secretary's husband serves on some type of ship and they are over in the Middle East. Frankly as a Florida resident, I am embarrassed by this whole fiasco! I think the whole country needs an overall on the election process - all states need to be uniform in this process! I still can't figure out how they handle it in Oregon!