The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

MISSING votes? How can that happen???

Not missing as in gone, just missing as in not there yet. Am I starting to sound like it's past my bedtime?

I love my country but am seriously considering the expat thing. Our country has been stronger and more successful all around than ever before, yet many of our citizens have chosen to ignore this and elect an intellectual vacuum with a vengeful family agenda who would like to see the end of a woman's right to choose, head start, clean air and clean water for our citizens. I doubt that we'll see much land preservation and you can count on the oil companies having free rein on raping our resources. Nice. If you think he's going to play nice to horsey people think again, unless you get invited to pay big bucks to one their silly dinners forget it. Your farms will soon be filled with condos. Oh, you'll get your little tax break but one way or another you'll have to sell them. Your grandchildren will not be drinking cider from your apples.

A country whose leader is an idiot like dubya is no country of mine. It might be time to say goodbye. Cry my beloved country.

I heard a rumor that the missing votes were from all the horseshow folks taking a break before the Florida circuits started. Seems they put their absentee ballots in a tack trunk, and the grooms, thinking they were the current Coggins tests but them in the glove box of the van which was sent in to the shop for the post Indoor tuneup....

(just to keep this horse related [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img])
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Well its the morning after Election Day and apparently its all come down to a veritable handful of votes.

Regardless of how this turns out, what I see as a real positive is how the American people, despite the pundits, pollsters, and politicians, voted their mind. In this day and age of email, FAX's, 24hr CNN, and experts telling us (The People) how we are going to vote, this presidential election still has come down each individual's vote being critical and each individual having a say.

I hope that this might inspire people to believe that they, as an individual, can make a difference - if not as a member of a particular political party, then as a proponent of a specific issue.

For those of us who are not particulary enamored by either major political party, and tend to "swing vote", pick an issue that you believe in and work towards it. For example, I am a big proponent of land preservation (no surprise there!). I find myself working side-by-side in this cause with NRA members (typically Republican voters), PETA members (?Democratic, Green Party?, Liberterians?) and everyone in between.

So even if you don't strongly believe in one of the political parties, pick an issue that you believe in an work towards that!

And if you don't believe that a small group of individuals can make a difference, just check in with the election board in Florida!

Off soapbox now - Thanks!

(And SL Warrior - that's great about the voter sticker on your mare's bridle!)

[This message has been edited by Whistlejacket (edited 11-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
    I heard a rumor that the missing votes were from all the horseshow folks taking a break before the Florida circuits started. Seems they put their absentee ballots in a tack trunk, and the grooms, thinking they were the current Coggins tests but them in the glove box of the van which was sent in to the shop for the post Indoor tuneup....

(just to keep this horse related [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img])
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TEE HEE, LOL Kryswyn!

Does anyone else feel a bit nervous at the thought of these people doing the re-counting after a "quick nap, cup of coffee, and a bath", as announced by my local radio station this morning??? eeeeeks!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Great to be able to vote freely!

So, heelsdown, any ideas on where you will move?

It's 10:00 here in Austin -- home of the George W. Bush "celebration" party that started yesturday afternoon. I wonder if anybody is still hanging out at the Capital... I wonder if I could use that as an excuse that I didn't go to class -- ha ha...

And no, I wouldn't be going to support. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Watching CNN -- they say the recount will end Thursday. Oh the humanity. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I have to put my moving plans on hold for a while. Yes the recount of votes will be done by 5PM Thursday but they will not confirm a winner for ten days, for the absentee ballots!

I'm here in Florida and this is just the craziest election ever.

You Floridians...! Ten days. How is it that now we have to wait for the absentee ballots for 10 days, but only for Florida, and only for THIS election, never before?? Am I missing a key point, or is it just due to the extreme closeness of the results?

I can't decide if the fact that its this close indicates that we all are so close ideologically that its impossible to choose, or that there are two fully distinct sets of people in this country, and our next and only viable option will be to split up. (West America and East America)? North and SOuth America are already taken. What about Ame and Rica?

Mostly kidding, BTW.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
    I can't decide if the fact that its this close indicates that we all are so close ideologically that its impossible to choose, or that there are two fully distinct sets of people in this country...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it is that WE are sp close ideologically, but that the two major candidates are so close ideologically. Both major parties have "moved to the center" so much that only a few issues separate them.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Well we have learned two things, we have learned that every vote does count.

We have also learned that the media are not infallible and that we should not skip voting because they are so sure who will win.

I think that perhaps they have a drastic effect on the outcome of elections with all their efforts to jump the gun and be the first to validate the elections.

I think we should also have learned that polls to do not replace the vote.

Someone on another BB posed the question: why the recount for Florida and not every other state?

I am guessing that it's because there was a wide enough margin for every other state that the count would be considered valid enough. Is this true? I think just about every state I saw on CNN last night was like 48% to 49%. Am I totally missing something here?

Also, why are there so many absentee ballots in Florida, but not for other states? Again, was the margin so wide that no amount of absentee ballots would make a difference in any other state?

I'm so confused. Can somebody help me?

From the way I understand it in Florida the law says that when the margin is so slim that a recount is mandatory, they have to do a recount for our Senatorial race too. They expect the margin to be extremely slim after the recount so from what I heard at lunch Florida will not confirm a winner till all the absentee ballots are accounted for.

Heelsdown,
    Don't despair. There is really very little mandate that "W" can claim with the vote so close and the Congress split nearly down the middle. I have to say that some of us thought that when George Sr. lost in '92 to that Governor from Arkansas, it seemed like the world as we knew it (and preferred it) would come to a screeching end. In '96 when the Clinton/Gore ticket won again .... well we we're pretty sure that civilization as we knew it was surely over (WHAT???!!! 4 more years of this mess????). However, the world didn't end ... just as it won't now for you if Bush reconfirms the initial electoral count in the next few days.

Whistlejacket is correct ... pick your issues and work towards a goal. One candidate can't be the panacea for everyone. Give it a chance - if it doesn't work for you then get yourself out to that polling booth in four years and make your voice heard (as I did yesterday).

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlueGooPonyShampoo:
    I have to say that some of us thought that when George Sr. lost in '92 to that Governor from Arkansas, it seemed like the world as we knew it (and preferred it) would come to a screeching end. In '96 when the Clinton/Gore ticket won again .... well we we're pretty sure that civilization as we knew it was surely over (WHAT???!!! 4 more years of this mess????). However, the world didn't end ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BGPS - TOO funny!! I remember thinking EXACTLY that same thought in '80, 84 and 88... amazingly enough, civilization still exists in spite of my dire predictions... Besides, when your candidate doesn't win, you can complain with impunity for 4 years ("I didn't vote for him!")

Heelsdown - FL law requires recount on any vote with 1% or less margin. Meanwhile things are getting interesting in Palm Beach. Sadly what is happening down there will only contribute to the inevitable Beltway Gridlock, regardless who ultimately takes the election.

DMK's prediction? Decision locked up in court battles for 4 years, a grateful nation appoints Alan Greenspan to run the country...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

The way I understand absentee ballots, at least here in Mass., is that they're supposed to be in by Election Day. So can anyone tell me why these things weren't the first things they started counting in the morning? I don't get it.