The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Well, I went and voted this morning. As I stood in the voting booth, I took a moment to give thanks that I could do my own very small part in determining the fate of my country, without having to worry that that right would be taken away from me.

Please - go vote today. We live in a flawed country, but, it is still the best on earth. I, for one, want to make sure it stays that way.

Oh Erin, I'm sorry - I realize this has nothing to do with horses. Thanks for your patience.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, I went and voted this morning. As I stood in the voting booth, I took a moment to give thanks that I could do my own very small part in determining the fate of my country, without having to worry that that right would be taken away from me.

Please - go vote today. We live in a flawed country, but, it is still the best on earth. I, for one, want to make sure it stays that way.

Oh Erin, I'm sorry - I realize this has nothing to do with horses. Thanks for your patience.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I can make it horse related......I live rural and I vote in one of the old one room schoolhouses 2 miles from my home. I plan on riding my daughters mare up there, rather than take the car, to vote! The temps REALLY dipped overnight and the north wind is making for a cold morning so I won't be heading out for a few hours. Hee, hee I could put my hunting flask & fuel in my jacket to help keep me warm!!

I agree with you, this is the best country on earth and we should be thankful for it!

LOUISE, Thanks for starting this thread, and SL Warrior, thanks for making it horse-related. I too live in a rural area and know of several people who ride their horses to the old one-room Veterans Post where the folks in my area vote. The rest of us are there in our pick-up trucks.

Even though there are many elections where I am not too thrilled about the available choices, I always think of the many people who have sacrificed greatly so that I have the right to vote. That's all the motivation I need.

Please get out and vote today!

[This message has been edited by Whistlejacket (edited 11-07-2000).]

Whistlejacket, I am predicting a HUGE voter turnout based on the midmorning turnout at my rural district. When I arrived, all 4 voting booths were full and there were 2 people in line ahead of me!!! In 7 years I have never had to wait for a booth to vote, much less have anyone in line ahead of me.

My mare wore her "I voted" sticker proudly on her bridle for the chilly 3 mile hack back home!!!

Yep, I've never seen so many people at my polling place in NYC ever. Big turnout.

Those who don't vote, in my opinion have no right to complain.

AHC - Absolutley correct! You don't vote ... you can't complain! I too experienced a line at the polls this morning. A good sign, I think. Those of you who have not voted yet - what are you waiting for?

I'm so glad (I think/ I hope) that there's a large turnout... Voting is such a major responsibility, and AHC, I agree with you completely! If you're not willing to help solve the problem, you're PART of the problem!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I just got back from voting and I'm pleased to say that the line was out the door! It was a real shock because I usually vote by absentee ballot. I must say, pulling that lever is a much better feeling than checking off boxes on a piece of paper. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Count me in! I voted and feel like I've done my part! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] SUZ
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Hear, hear Louise! Thanks for putting it into prospective. I was getting distressed on how personal and mean-spirited the Gore/Bush thread had become. We live in a great country no matter who wins!

Yup, I voted, and for all my griping on the Bush/Gore post I was glad to vote for one person, a county commisioner that is one of the nicest men I've ever met. He renewed my faith in our system. His name is Dumont Clarke, and he rode around our district on a bicycle to meet everyone he could, he walked in the woods with a group of us, and he NEVER used a negative word in his campaign. To me, I didn't feel particuraly enthused about voting for anyone else, but I was proud to push the button for Dumont! and that is what freesom and the right to vote is all about.
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

I voted today as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] What a race its been eh? Being a political science major.. I intend to stay up till the bitter end tonight!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Aarrgh. Please don't say bitter end. I've been at work (at a newspaper) since noon; it's after 11 p.m. with no end in sight.

It os after midnight, and it is still a tie.

At least this time the Californians can't complain that the results were in berfore their polls closed!
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

This is KILLING me!!!

Florida be damned. It wouldn't be so awful, this waiting, if only Florida didn't lose it's blasted ballots!

I'm afraid it is going to be Bush. I just heard the lost ballots are primarily from Republican strongholds.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Arrgh! Now someone just said that the missing ballot boxes are from DEMOCRATIC STRONGHOLDS! See how you just can't count on the media for accuracy!
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

What a race it's been! As I type, the Presidential votes are nearly tied, with only a few states left to decide. How about the mess up with the media's Florida projection? They called back the early projection, due to "input" errors according to one network's staff. This is one to remember!

My guess is that there are a few of us hanging around the old BB because it sure is more encouraging than listening to the reports as they file in.
    I loved reading about those of you who rode to your polling places. Kind of gives new meaning to the word "polling", eh?

I have heard both reports, Pwynn. The last one I heard was about half an hour ago, can't remember which network (they all look alike after a while) and they said the Dade county reports were still missing. That would be more hopeful for Gore, but who knows. Then they were going on about absentee ballots that might not be counted until FRIDAY.

[This message has been edited by baymare (edited 11-08-2000).]