The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Having admired Arabians for years, I notice that there are now several Arabian stallions approved into different sporthorse/warmblood registries as well as a number of Arabian mares.

Some of the high scoring AWR Sportpony inspected this year were also part Arab.

Those of you who are using Arabs for crossbreeding, either for sport horses or sport ponies ... how do see the current market? Are you finding the majority of your buyers are "Arab people" wanting to do more ... and are they looking for purebreds or halfbreds? If you are getting inquiries from the USDF/open sporthorse people, why are they going to the Arab crosses ... to ride? to breed?

And where do you market the horses/ advertise? Besides the traditional sporthorse venues, COTH, Hunter & Sporthorse, etc. ... is there an Arab Sport magazine ... or does one of the Arab magazines devote one or more issues to the Arab sporthorse?

Kaleidoscope Farm
    http://www.stallionstation.com/kaleidoscopefarm
    Colored sporthorses & sportponies for non-traditional riders

Having admired Arabians for years, I notice that there are now several Arabian stallions approved into different sporthorse/warmblood registries as well as a number of Arabian mares.

Some of the high scoring AWR Sportpony inspected this year were also part Arab.

Those of you who are using Arabs for crossbreeding, either for sport horses or sport ponies ... how do see the current market? Are you finding the majority of your buyers are "Arab people" wanting to do more ... and are they looking for purebreds or halfbreds? If you are getting inquiries from the USDF/open sporthorse people, why are they going to the Arab crosses ... to ride? to breed?

And where do you market the horses/ advertise? Besides the traditional sporthorse venues, COTH, Hunter & Sporthorse, etc. ... is there an Arab Sport magazine ... or does one of the Arab magazines devote one or more issues to the Arab sporthorse?

Kaleidoscope Farm

Along with the Arabian and Half-Arabian Nationals, they now have Arabian Sport Horse Nationals.

Personally, none of our buyers want a horse with Arab in it. Unfortunately, they get a bad rap for being spooky, high strung and hot although, they're not all like that. But it's like any stereotype. People tend to remember the bad ones.

We avidly buy, train and sell sport ponies and people won't even look at the pony if it's got any Arab breeding in it. We're normally asked for Welsh and Welsh crosses. Some of our best little ponies have had Arab in them and they not only have more heart but their movement is outstanding but I have to give the public what they want or I wouldn't be making any money!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

but I fell in LOVE with an oldenburg arab cross in college. I always thought a wb/arab would make the best cross.

So, should you decide to start a control group, feel free to send one my way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

--- And how did you feel about being denied these Hungry Hippos?
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

My mom has one. Ariba of Aslan a DW/arab cross schooled up through PSG/GP I think. She does piaffe and canter pirouettes and all that jazz. She's pretty cool. There are a few arab crosses at her barn(Starwest in New Berlin, IL). The most notable is Kate Fleming's LA Baltic Mariner, who has been very successful in the JR/YR stuff. I like them. It makes a nice cross. I don't know anything about how they sell though.

Bah. Ma vie est en train de me rendre folle.

Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    ---WHX---

A friend of mine just had her 1/2 arabian, 1/2 hanovarian stallion approved with the Canadian Sport Horse. She will definitely be testing the market with the warmblood and arabian people; it will be interesting to see what happens. Oh, and the stallion is gorgeous and very athletic!

my future market(I have 4 arab/warmblood foals coming) will be in the hunter market. I have people looking for half arab/half warmblood(reg half arabs) that are big and going over fences. Good bloodlines, athletic horses who are out doing in the ring competing and being seen are the way to go.

good luck

Leslie Maurer
    Jump The Moon Sporthorses
    Home of Echo Shea (arab sporthorse) and Outrageous Fortune(overo Pinto RPSI)
    Leslie Dobson

more and more horses are coming up the ranks that have a dash of Arab in their makeup. I personally ride a very sucessful eventer (now retired from top level competition) and his breeding includes about 1/16th Arabian. I think that he has inherited his 'spook' from his Arab ancestry however this makes him one of the cleanest most careful jumpers I have come across. He doesn't touch a thing! He's incredibly honest and careful. He also has clydesdale in his breeding and is by a full TB stallion. At 22 years of age he is still going strong and going out and producing the results (sure, at the lower levels altho I am sure he is still capable of winning bigger stuff).

In my breeding programme I am trying to produce all-round sport horses with temperament and ability. To do this I am breeding from horses with TB, Irish Draft, Clydesdale and Arabian bloodlines. Time will tell whether I will be sucessful or not but I sure plan to have some fun along the way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I love the Arabian horse, it has strength of character, beauty, stunnig movement and phenomenal stamina. I also love the speed and agility of the modern day TB and the sheer brawn and good temperament/level head of the Irish and Clydesdale horses. I just hope that my foals will emulate all the positive traits of their bloodlines ... breeding will always be such a gamble.

I have attached a pic of the 1/16th Arabian Eventer/Show Jumper that I own.

Loopy Lu

PS I realise that this is no strictly in keeping with the thread as I am not talking about the Arab/WarmbloodX but I thought that I would share anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Proud member of the IDAC clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/hazelbabe2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bady1small.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	6441  
    Louise Wilsden
    TF Sport Horses ~ Breeders of beautiful Clydesdale, Irish and NZ Sport Horses

My BLOG

Spirit ... does your friend have a website where I could see a photo of the Canadian approved stallion? Would like to see the cross ...

Leslie ... went to your website, lovely horses ... will be interested to see the foals you are expecting this spring. What breeds of warmblood mares?

NZ ... georgous horse, great jump ... and while I no longer do any jumping myself, my preference was always for a careful jumper.

I do find it interesting that there is so much resistance in some circles with the Arab crosses. I did own several Arabs a number of years ago and with just a couple of exceptions, found them to be very sensible and trainable.

I also find it interesting that many of the pony buyers will not look at something with Arab breeding (if they know it's there) but there have been a surprising number of the Arab crosses that have score very high at the AWR sportpony inspections.

Kaleidoscope Farm

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

It would be interesting to differentiate between the IAHA/Arab "Breed show world" and the USAEq (there, I said it, not AHSA, aren't you all proud of me?!?) "open show" hunter/jumper/dressage market.

Leslie, I think you are involved with the IAHA Half Arabian shows. Are half warmblood crosses what's winning in the "hunter" classes there? (I know when you say English to these folks that means saddleseat!)

Came back to add.... There have been plenty of fancy USAEq ponies that have a dash or more of Arab in their backgrounds. Farmgate has not posted here in a long time, but I remember her threads about Al-Marah Lord Elope, who was a very prolific pony sire.

Custom Needlepoint Belts

Sportpony:

I have a yearling filly that is out of a Crabbet bred Arabian and by pintofoal's State of the Art.

The market for Half-Arab/warmblood crosses is excellent. Although she has not sold yet I received A Lot of interest in her. I have had a few offers on her as well but I am pretty firm on her price since she has shown so well this year as a weanling at some of "A" breed shows, and I would really like to have her until after Sporthorse Nationals

I have found that most of people that are interested or actually all of the people interested are Arab people looking to stay competitive in dressage at the breed shows. The most common question is if she is sweapstakes nominated (which she is) and they like color!!

I have advertised her in the usual online places, and the ARAB sporthorse site - which is free. IAHA has a breed magazine. There was a mag that was only about the arab sporthorse -- but I think they are no longer in publication.

Anne- Although I am really not an "arab" person I do have this filly and a gelding (hmm.. well maybe a little bit of a arab person then!) But I have been to several "A" Arab breed shows and have found the same thing that you probably find in a paint or a QH breed show... basically the Hunters go different (than in an open show)and the judges are not necessarly trained what to look for over fences... That being said that most of the classes are divided between Half-Arabs and purebred so they are not competing against each other. It is just the half-arabs are getting better and better and not to many people are breeding a warmblood cross so the market is good.

The dressage and hunt seat on the flat seems to be a huge draw and the hunters go around in a frame with the riders hands to there knees (Arab folks don't flame me on this-- just calls um like I seez them)

Also, seems like the all the lower level dressage horse go around in this same frame -- but the horses are only bending at the poll-- not truly round with their hindquarters engaged and the riders hands at their knees.
    But at the upper you see a lot of stiff competition, with people like Hilda Gurney competing!!

"The poster formerly known as JSTALLINGS."

Sportpony:

I have a yearling filly that is out of a Crabbet bred Arabian and by pintofoal's State of the Art.

The market for Half-Arab/warmblood crosses is excellent. Although she has not sold yet I received A Lot of interest in her. I have had a few offers on her as well but I am pretty firm on her price since she has shown so well this year as a weanling at some of "A" breed shows, and I would really like to have her until after Sporthorse Nationals

I have found that most of people that are interested or actually all of the people interested are Arab people looking to stay competitive in dressage at the breed shows. The most common question is if she is sweepstakes nominated (which she is) and they like color!!

I have advertised her in the usual online places, and the ARAB sporthorse site - which is free. IAHA has a breed magazine. There was a mag that was only about the arab sporthorse -- but I think they are no longer in publication.

Anne- Although I am really not an "arab" person I do have this filly and a gelding (hmm.. well maybe a little bit of a arab person then!) But I have been to several "A" Arab breed shows and have found the same thing that you probably find in a paint or a QH breed show... basically the Hunters go different (than in an open show)and the judges are not necessarily trained what to look for over fences... That being said that most of the classes are divided between Half-Arabs and purebred so they are not competing against each other. It is just the half-arabs are getting better and better and not too many people are breeding a warmblood cross so the market is good.

The dressage and hunt seat on the flat seems to be a huge draw and the hunters go around in a frame with the rider’s hands to their knees (Arab folks don't flame me on this-- just calls um like I seez them)

Also, seems like the all the lower level dressage horse go around in this same frame -- but the horses are only bending at the poll-- not truly round with their hindquarters engaged.
    riders hands at their knees.
    But at the upper you see a lot of stiff competition, with people like Hilda Gurney competing!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	springtrotnov.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	6035  

another picture of my filly

let's see, I have babies coming with arab onto the track mare(she is also han. approved) and the selle mare(she is by Perrel) I have 2 babies out of arab mares by my young warmblood stallion who is RPSI and PtHA. SO I will have a chance to see what each of those turn out, none are maiden mares sooo. Oh yeah, my arab mares, one is an old swedish import and the other is egyptian so I am going to have a WIDE range of babies to test what sells [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My market are the people who show the Arab A(and Nationals) but also do the open hunter. The arab/warmblood crosses I have all seen definately cross over and do the real A hunters. And do them well.

To run ads, definately the online places, also probably in the arab mags but in the COTH of course and probably the other big hunter mags, with pictures.

With the sporthorse nationals coming, this is a whole new market, and people want horses that can do it. At our arab national show Susie Hutchinsen(SP?) rode a horse for a client, as well as other big names. So the market is there but it needs to grow and it will.

Leslie Maurer
    Leslie Dobson

My friend has a VERY SHORT website (soon to be added to). She is concentrating on her stallion's performance right now, and doesn't have any good pictures of her guy (I'm urging her to take more!). The site is www.espequines

Please ... a brief explanation of sweepstakes nominated as it applies to half Arabs.

Is this for the foal only (and when should you do it) or does the foal have to be out of a dam or by a sire that is sweepstakes nominated and then be nominated?

And are there more than one sweepstakes ... and which ones do you choose?

Kaleidoscope Farm

There is no sweeps payback for the working hunter/jumper and most or all of the dressage, and also nothing for sporthorse in hand class. Most of the arab people who do these classes don't care about sweeps, we can't win any of the money why give the registry any more of money.

If they change and start to give payback then we will change our mind.

And the half arab classes are dominated by arab/saddlebred classes and they win all the nationals champs that offer sweeps money.

but there might be changes but nothing is on the plate for the next 3 years.

Leslie Maurer
    Leslie Dobson

sportpony:

Here is the link for sweepstakes info.

http://www.iaha.com/

mmaurer :

There is money to be won at regional level in dressage up to 3rd level. There is also money to be won for babies in halter.

It may not be worth it to you to have the foal nominated, but it may certainly be worth it to the buyer and late entry into the sweepstakes program is around 5k, so it is worth it to nominate.

I thought they took it out of third level, I will have to check. To be brutally honest a warmblood / arab cross will never beat the NSH/crosses at the Regional/national level in halter. The judges want big park moving horses, extremely long necks..they look for the saddlebred types(I was just at nationals) the sporthorse nationals, will cater more to the crosses that are the working types, but there is no payback for sporthorse inhand classes.

Don't forget you don't win money except at the National / Regionals shows, ...

Leslie Maurer
    Leslie Dobson

I'm looking at a very cute IDSH that is half Arab. I asked two very well educated (BHS) friends to take a look at the video I'd received and both immediately had comment on the horse's movement. She is straight and very correct, with an extremely nice trot, but her canter was "different". When I told them she was half Arab, they both said yes, that was what she moved like, ".... an Arab!". I get the impression that some people find some fault with Arab movement. Can someone explain this to me? Is it short stridedness? What? Why is there such prejudice w/ Arabs? I personally like her very much and think if I were to get her and eventually breed her, the canter issue would be her only "fault", and something that could be improved upon by breeding to a TB or WB. What are the chances of improving her canter with dressage work? I'd really appreciate hearing your comments on what you tend to see movement wise with Arab crosses. Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Member Of The Texas & TB Cliques
    SueCoo & the Redhead (a/k/a \"Atlanta\")
    Life without horses is possible, but pointless......
    http://community.webshots.com/user/suecoo100