The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

I will be home from Ireland for them - I have extra floor/couch space in my NJ house - the beds are taken, I'm afraid.

I think a show of support for the NF is a must! Besides, I am dying to hear how the USET spins its monetary and other problems.

[Edited to update title of thread to include Austin as hearing location]

[This message was edited by Portia on Sep. 28, 2001 at 04:51 PM.]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Weatherford is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I will be home from Ireland for them - I have extra floor/couch space in my NJ house - the beds are taken, I'm afraid.

I think a show of support for the NF is a must! Besides, I am dying to hear how the USET spins its monetary and other problems.

[Edited to update title of thread to include Austin as hearing location]

[This message was edited by Portia on Sep. 28, 2001 at 04:51 PM.]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Details Weatherford! When where how?? I am but a train ride away!

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Original Poster

The hearings are open to the public and are being held on Sept 24 - 25 at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. I do not have the TIMES yet.

I get in from Ireland on Monday, so will miss the first day - it had originally been scheduled to start on Tuesday, thus I arranged my plane rides.

Someone will have to take detailed notes for me on Monday.

See you there!

I'm too old to tangle with New York traffic with my car. I wonder if we can round up a bus load?

Original Poster

Drive down to Hopewell and we can all take the train to NY from Princeton or Hamilton. Easy!

I live a taxi ride away, so if I'm in the city I might go...

The hearing is only 2 days? I thought they had allocated at least 3, which is not enough time to present a full case that the USOC can understand anyway. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The good news is that the USET has the burden of proof that (a) USA Equestrian cannot fulfill all of the functions of the NGB and (b) the USET can better fulfill all of the functions of the NGB. Given the USET's current state of disarray and financial woes -- not to mention that it does not perform the vast majority of the core NGB functions and never has -- I'm hoping the USOC will see that the USET cannot meet that burden.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Original Poster

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, poss Thursday (24 - 27) Starting at 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Marriott Marquis in Times Square, NYC.

Original Poster

OK - it's just lucassb, jumphi, jr*, snowbird, and me??

What about anyone else?

(I will not be there on Monday, as I get in from Ireland that day.)

We MUST have lunch - even if all we can afford is a hot dog in the park - no, hot dogs in NYC are VERY expensive! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If I am going all the way back to civilization (NYC) then I want something a bit more exotic than a hot dog, though... I am hoping for some real roasted chestnuts...

<grin>
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

any of the six that were planning on the meeting on 24th going to make it to Austin?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

shall we invite AB and AL,Jr to lunch with us?

we could try Texian mediation - how about feeding them jalepenos or habaneros until they agree

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

S., AL is strictly an East Coaster, and Alan Balch is a Southern California boy. I'm afraid he'd have a big advantage in the "ability to handle chile peppers" department -- But it might be fun to watch. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

even better Portia - even better

I am curious to know how many could get to some or all of the USOC hearings, scheduled in Austin, TX (exact location undetermined by USOC as of today), running from Oct. 13th thru 15th?

This is a good opportunity to show the USOC representatives that our sport is far more than "a few rich people riding around on $$$$ horses in the Olympic Games." It is hard to get the point across about the actual number of us out there that love and participate in the sport(plus care about and help support ALL the levels even if we only are personally active regionally or at the 'old fashioned' amateur level).

I am convinced that the result of this hearing will shape the future (and thus the generations of riders we don't yet know the names of)far more than it will actually impact on the current 'crop' of competitors.

Having NF members and supporters - of all ages and levels of participation - THERE has to make an impression on people who know NOTHING about our sport, but can determine what it looks like from here on out.

Who is close enough and willing? with air fares are as low as they get, and Austin probably one of the safest places to fly into.... think about it.

Linda Allen
    Linda Allen

Oct. 13-15 is Saturday-Sunday-Monday. So they're having the hearing on equestrian over the weekend, in the middle of one of the busiest times of the competition season for almost every horse sport? Sigh -- not good timing, is it?

Anyway -- I am going to try to attend, if work cooperates.

Besides, Austin is always beautiful, and particularly nice this time of year. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] And I have an old boyfriend there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Linda A

re: I am curious to know how many could get to some or all of the USOC hearings, scheduled in Austin, TX (exact location undetermined by USOC as of today), running from Oct. 13th thru 15th?

Have you received confirmation of those dates? And have you heard what the location will be?

If I will need to take vacation days from office I need to try to put in for them as soon as possible - have been waiting on firm dates.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Yes, Austin is beautiful! Not just now, all year long too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Actually, it should be in the low 70's by then. Is anyone coming down for that one?

http://user.boardnation.com/ythejuniorsclique/board.cgi
    Junior Clique!

it is as solid as anything can be in our crazy world. USOC gave everyone the week that they would do it and where, after they postponed from NY date and location.

since it is a conflict for MANY (most?), compromise was the weekend - which was probably best for the (volunteer) hearing panel members and running into Monday (perhaps, for convenience of those that had major conflicts?)

That week is Radnor (major international level event) a World Cup Qualifier on West Coast, and Harrisburg Junior weekend, amongst many others. but USOC Board meets very shortly after and options weren't many.

Do hope we'll see people there, weekend or Monday depending on what is "do-able"....

Linda Allen
    Linda Allen