The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

This is from my friend Eddie Stuart, who organizes the Burgie Horse Trials in Scotland and also has designed a lot of the online registration for European horse trials and other shows. I passed on MAD's post of Alice's email:

"With these facts in mind, not sending a US team to Madrid, and thus not honoring the organizers and sponsors invitation would have been a
    disgrace."

I can't agree more.

To claim that it might have been a 2nd string team in circs like these was ridiculous.

After all, in Eventing the UK lost Rodney Powell with his broken ankle in the Sydney Olympics. Did that really lower the strength of the challenge? Or did the Brits get on with the job with the best that they had taking all other things into consideration?

I think that it is admirable to be able to form a team at such short notice and that everybody concerned deserves much credit for doing so.

I think that being there, flying the flag with respect & dignity whilst wearing a black armband shows *all* that was needed on that front. And,
    importantly, showed that at the end of the day we don't like letting the bad guys win. And that a group of mad, bad people don't stop America et al that easily.

Well done to you all,
    Regards,
    Eddie Stuart
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

This is from my friend Eddie Stuart, who organizes the Burgie Horse Trials in Scotland and also has designed a lot of the online registration for European horse trials and other shows. I passed on MAD's post of Alice's email:

"With these facts in mind, not sending a US team to Madrid, and thus not honoring the organizers and sponsors invitation would have been a
    disgrace."

I can't agree more.

To claim that it might have been a 2nd string team in circs like these was ridiculous.

After all, in Eventing the UK lost Rodney Powell with his broken ankle in the Sydney Olympics. Did that really lower the strength of the challenge? Or did the Brits get on with the job with the best that they had taking all other things into consideration?

I think that it is admirable to be able to form a team at such short notice and that everybody concerned deserves much credit for doing so.

I think that being there, flying the flag with respect & dignity whilst wearing a black armband shows *all* that was needed on that front. And,
    importantly, showed that at the end of the day we don't like letting the bad guys win. And that a group of mad, bad people don't stop America et al that easily.

Well done to you all,
    Regards,
    Eddie Stuart
    EDDIE WOULD GO

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

As well as the message from Alice Debany-Clero that MAD posted. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The sympathy and concern shown by our European friends in response to the terrorist attack is very heartwarming.

And once again, I am so proud of the job Richard, Alice and Clare did representing us in Spain!!! I simply don't understand the reasoning of those who felt we should not have a team there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

As far as understanding the response of those, ie GM and AL, who didn't think we should have a team there - Louise's totally on her own and probably crackbrained theory - they were afraid that people would find out that these kind of things could be done without them!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I agree. This team rode admirably under difficult circumstances, to say the least. I'm glad they were willing to represent the U.S.A. at a time when we most needed to be seen. They deserve our respect and admiration, not condescension.

If they were not already in Europe at the time, I can understand the USET being concerned about the safety of sending horses and riders over.

However, they were there. They were qualified and up to the task at hand. And anyone who criticizes their abilities, their performance and their participation is putting their own ego and pride before the good of the Team and the nation.

For us, this wasn't an ordinary Nations Cup. Yes, you always want to ride your best with the objective of winning. But sometimes winning isn't everything. Sometimes you win, but you don't come home with a prize in hand. This team, IMHO, is a real winner! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-------------------------
    "You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
    --Colette
    Act Silly! Sing Loud! Create!

Oh Louise you wonderfully bold and fearless leader. You noticed and slapped it on the screen.

Sometime i think these "leaders" need a good yank on the curb to rein in their tongues.

I kept cringing as some of their comments. esp during the AHSA vs USET go around earlier this year.

This time I really winced. Hate to admit it was the first thought out there from me too.

Well done team in europe!!!! Perhaps they should come home for the Washington or Garden, will they have Nations Cup this year???
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I've lost a lot of respect for GM and AL, and by association the USET. Their self-serving statements have shown them to be "dogs in the manger" when their elite little world is threatened. I wonder if this "putting foot in mouth" act doesn't expose them to be little more than protectors of the status quo where they have almost complete control over anything and everything in the way of International competition.

I have so enjoyed seeing the overwhelmingly universal and heartfelt support from both their fellow Americans and the International community. And, almost as an afterthought, it's marvelous that they did so well with a 3-rider team. I congratulate them for doing a great job under a terribly stressful situation.
    Cheers, Maggi

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

More Applause!

Thanks for posting that Coreene. We forget that there were 40 countries, who also lost friends, family and loved ones in the WTC. It seems that everyone does understand what these 3 did to make this work, well except a few.....

I was in Europe (Germany) when the planes hit. It was a terribly nervewrecking feeling being so far from home and yet so close to the countries the very terroists are from and indeed being right there in Hamburg where the rats had nested at one time. Richard was traveling with his horses there also as you guys know.

I find it amazingly awesome that Richard and the other riders representing America on such short notice could keep their composure and compete at all, let alone so successfully. Their scores speak for themselves!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I find it embarrasing (oops spelling) and a bit humiliating for our country that our "top chefs and coachs" could not have the personal honor and intregity to keep their lips zipped, their opinions to themselves, their hurtful comments in their hats, their pious position in check and mostly..... their lack of support to themselves!!

As scary and confusing as it was for the folks here in America when the planes hit, the Americans traveling in Europe felt terribly shaky, helpless and vulnerable to the unknown also. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

For the riders to rise to the occasion and compete at all they deserve our upmost respect, support and thanks. I am proud to be an American and I am proud that these riders stepped in on a moments notice under such strain and "did us proud". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe our "older" generation could learn a thing or two about "sport" from these guys and at the same time the older guys could forget a bit about "business" in the name of good old competitive sportsmanship!!!!

We gained a whole big lot of respect and admiration from the European competitors when these three stepped to the plate and hit a home run against the enemy by riding at all!!!!!!!!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And that is what makes America...America.. we don't say we can't, we say lets figure out how to!!!

Congrats and respect to Richard, Alice and Clare.. our First String riders!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    [url]http://www.horseshowbiz.com
    [url]http://www.ijumpsports.com

Ah, but hear what God has to say:

from Nancy Jaffer's column: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> NEW FROM Nancy Jaffer's Column...

CONTROVERSY: USA Equestrian scrambled to get a squad together to wave the flag at last weekend's Samsung Nations' Cup finals in Spain, after the U.S. Equestrian Team scrapped its plans to send a squad because of potential travel problems and out of respect for victims following the terrorist attack on America.Only three riders already in Europe could be rounded up for the task, which meant they had no drop score, but USA Equestrian felt in the wake of the tragedy the Stars and Stripes should fly at the show. The U.S. squad finished last in the Samsung, though from all accounts, it got a great reception from spectators, organizers and fellow competitors.

But some associated with the USET, which is continuously clashing with USAE in its bid to become American horse sports' national governing body, weren't happy about a team being sent. Coming in last "is just what we do not want to do in international competition," said George Morris, who would have been chef d'equipe of the USET squad, picked under standard methods from those highest on the computer list. He said an end of the year championship is no place for "a scratch team," calling it "an absolute disgrace and very, very insulting to the riders who bowed out because of the World Trade Center."

http://www.equisearch.com/english/ar...27/jafferhorse

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GRRRRR!!!!

And how many times have his teams stood "last"??? We have proven by looking at the scoreboard that this team CERTAINLY deserved to be there - and had they had one throwaway score in each round, might have been first!!!

And do we have to remind GM that the only reason his team didn't go - despite what they say - was because they couldn't GET THERE!?!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

My apoligies for being an immoderate moderator on this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

This BB Guide is PO'ed at the attitude of some, to say the least.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

I'm right there immoderating with you Weatherford. I am just so sick of these guys playing politics with everything, even a tragedy such as WTC.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I am thoroughly sick of GM's holier-than-thou pontificating.

Isn't it time for a new Chef D'Equipe?

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

His comments before the show in Madrid were bad enough, but then GM comes out with this RIDICULOUS statement afterwards?!?!?!?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Open mouth, insert foot....Engage mouth, disengage brain.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Original Poster

Again, the pot calling the kettle Black & Decker.

Did no one from USET read Alice's response, posted kindly by MAD here or on Towerheads?

As for being a disgrace, what a complete and utter load of bollocks (apologies to our UK BBers re the language). Boo sucks to USET.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

They are going to lose A LOT of support after this one...

Maybe someone should direct GM's attention to this board to show him that he has finally 'broken the camel's back"... The masses are not going to support him on this one.

And how can he expect to be an effective coach if he ever oversees a team with one of these three riders on it?

The man just can't stop shooting himself in the foot. His comments, and those of AL, are particularly poor spirited when contrasted with Mr. Balch's statement, hmmm?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"I am heartened and impressed with how thoroughly and quickly everyone responded," said Balch. "Clearly, the U.S. riders in Europe wanted to see our flag flying in the Final, and so did the organizers, sponsors, and the FEI. We were doubtful at first that under the difficult circumstances of travel whether this could be arranged, but everyone has come through. We are particularly grateful for the support of the FEI, and of Samsung, the sponsors, who really made this possible. This is the essence of sporting spirit."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "essence of sporting spirit" can occasionally be displayed by even the "scratch team," I suppose. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Original Poster

"It is not the winning, but the taking part."
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Not only does it appear he doesn't believe the Olympic ethic, he FORGOT that "HIS" TEAMS WERE NOT QUALIFIED TO GO!! The US was there at the organizer's discretion/invitation. I repeat - we did NOT QUALIFY for the Nations Cup Finals - we were there by invitation.

To me, less than one rail out of 4th, without a scratch score, means our guys did GOOD!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

By the way, I just heard that Richard Spooner was sitting high (4th I believe) on the ranking for the European Rider Tour, with a very large bonus at stake, and gave up his invitation to a major on that tour (Wiesbaden) in order to ride for the US on a 3-man team in Madrid!

THAT IS TEAM SPIRIT!!!