The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm so ashamed, my horse is REALLY fat!/update 5/12

I tried to update the original thread but it never showed up so I'm doing it this way. May show up yet, I guess, if so I'm sorry.
    Anyhow this is what I posted.

Well what do y'all think? Enough weight lost? I personally think so but I thought she looked fine before when she was a regular butter ball.
    Before
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2cxxdhw.jpg

How she looks now
    http://i46.tinypic.com/mcyslf.jpg
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I can see a weight loss, so yay!

But you need to put hands on ribs and see how hard you have to press. If you can press without much effort and find ribs, that's ok. If you have to PRESS, or wiggle fingers around he's still too fat.

But regardless, he's darn cute

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I can see a weight loss, so yay!

But you need to put hands on ribs and see how hard you have to press. If you can press without much effort and find ribs, that's ok. If you have to PRESS, or wiggle fingers around he's still too fat.

But regardless, he's darn cute
    Well I just ran out and checked...you still can't feel any ribs so guess we've still got a way to go.

According to the weight tape (i know they aren't accurate) she's lost 53 lb. in the last month. We don't let her on pasture at all she stays in the lot. Some grass as I guess you saw in today's picture but mostly dirt.

1 cup timothy pellets, vitamins in morning, appx. 2 lb. hay. 1 cup tim pellets at night and appx. eight lb. hay in a slow feeder. Poor girl.

Thanks, JB. Will check back in in another month.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

It's progress, which is great! But yes, use the rib test as a pretty good idea of whether her weight is about where it should be. My guess is, based on "can't feel any ribs", you might have another 100lb to go.

I think she looks pretty healthy in the second picture. Wish my svelt OTTB looked more like that.

Plus WOW, gorgeous Appy!

Just a FYI to everyone with any horse at any weight. Had vet out Friday for teeth floating and well horse checkup, and he was telling me the number of grass founders he is seeing is rampant! Located in East TN, but I would suggest that anyone in SE should be very vigilant. We had a very mild Winter with lots of rain, and the grass is unbelievable. Hay, in most areas here, has already been cut and baled.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser12 View Post
    I think she looks pretty healthy in the second picture. Wish my svelt OTTB looked more like that.

Plus WOW, gorgeous Appy!
    Thanks Cruiser.

I went to her from tb's so it has been pretty much a shock to have to try to pull weight off one rather than keep weight on.

It was really hard (sleep losing hard) at first to be so strict on her food, felt as if I were actually starving her. It gets easier.

She's beautiful! I do love appys

As for the rib test, I've heard that there should be about a half inch of fat over them, which sounds like it matches up with other's descriptions of how much you should have to squish to find ribs.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping