The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When you're angry in trafffic...

What do you do??

I have been trying so hard to control my temper when feeling irate on the road. It helps because really, these people mean nothing to me and it is a minor irritant in the big scheme of life.

BUT! Some jacka$$ sons of biscuit eaters just get. under. my. skin.

Like the guy with the bug bite sized dingding in the ugly new camaro who tried to ride my tail because he had to *gasp* wait his turn at the stop sign. Mymy. You know I wanted to jump out and throw down. I have found the funniest way of dealing though. I whip out my Droid (iphones work too!) and make it obvious that I am either taking pics of them and their license plate or taking video. Needled!ck about slammed on his brakes trying to avoid having his pic in my hands.

Good stuff LOL!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I slow down until ragey people pass me. I have been known to tap my brakes with my left foot if they're getting too aggressive on the highway and are choosing to ignore the fact that there's a perfectly nice open lane right next to me. It doesn't affect my speed, but it usually backs them right the hell off.

And if they should, god forbid, hit me or decide to leap out and rage on me, cha-ching! Bring it, kids.

If they would have been going the speed limit and maintaining a safe following distance, I wouldn't have been all annoyed in the first place.

Frankly, the amount of anger on the roads is alarming. Well, not just on the road, but everywhere. Self-control and anger control is nonexistent these days.

These people who annoy you - they are oblivious to it and/or they really don't care. They have rude behavior, not just in their car, but in their everyday life, because nobody gave them consequences when they grew up for said behavior and it carries on to adulthood. You getting angry does nothing to impact their day. It does impact you, however. It's your health that takes a hit because anger actually raises your blood pressure and stays elevated until you calm down again. It's a choice to either ignore these people, or get mad and curse them, wave your hand around at them, or whatever.

I lost my sister at 3 years and my brother at 32, thus I'm the only kid in our family who lived past 32 years of age. When you lose people you care about really young, it changes your attitude and perspective. Life is too short to give annoying people the time of day. They certainly do not deserve to have any special attention in my life. Getting angry means you care about interacting with the person. Me, I have no desire whatsoever to spend even a second interacting with them. It is just a WASTE. OF. TIME. And my time is precious and valuable. They don't deserve the honor of being part of my life, no matter how stupid or irritating they try to be.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I slow down until ragey people pass me. I have been known to tap my brakes with my left foot if they're getting too aggressive on the highway and are choosing to ignore the fact that there's a perfectly nice open lane right next to me. It doesn't affect my speed, but it usually backs them right the hell off.

And if they should, god forbid, hit me or decide to leap out and rage on me, cha-ching! Bring it, kids.

If they would have been going the speed limit and maintaining a safe following distance, I wouldn't have been all annoyed in the first place.
    Oh, guilty.

I deliberately slow down when people tailgate me just to mess with them, and I have been known to slam on my brakes when someone didn't respond to me flashing my brake lights at them. If you want to pass, pass. Just get off my butt.

The only folks that really irritate me are the cat-and-mousers. The worst are the folks that ride your flank regardless of whether you speed up or slow down. Second to that are the ones that refuse to be passed or pass you just so they can slow down. Some of these drivers act like they're in a competition. Since the only thing I care about is being able to get from Point A to Point B without someone endangering my life or inflicting their stupidity on me, that gets on my nerves.

I have been known to report ragers. It completely freaked me out a couple weeks when driving to work in with heavy traffic. Ahead in the left lane was a motorcyle. There was a solid line of cars in front him, in the right lane (I was in the right about 3 cars back), and behind him. Immediately behind him was a little silver Honda with obvious road rage. Freaking Honda pulled up next to the motorcyle in the same lane! Guy on the bike had nowhere to go. He had a car ahead of him, a car immediately to his right, and an a$$hole in the lane with him immediately to his left. WHO DOES THAT???? I called 911 and reported it. Hope they got him.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Does it seem that a LOT of Honda drivers seem to have issues? What is it about a crappily made Japanese car that brings so much ridiculous high school behavior.

They sound like a bumblebee after a triple shot latte to add idiocy to the erratic driving behavior LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I will slow for tailgaters down too, or tap brakes - I don't brake sharply because I don't want to be hit, even if it is 100% their fault. I was rear-ended at a stoplight once (no injuries, a very mild hit) and the sheer amount of annoyance and bother wasn't worth it even though their insurance paid for everything.

Speed limit on the open road here is 100 kmph (~62 mph). I drive in to work each day on a road with two lanes most of the way. As the road gets nearer to the city it narrows to one lane (go figure why would you make a road narrower nearer the city where there's more traffic?). Shoulder is wide and there's a wide cntre strip. Anyway, most mornings I drive along happily at 100 kmph. Most other traffic does the same. However most days I get stuck behind some idjit who was happily travelling at 100 kmph on the dual carriageway who slows down to 80 kmph (50mph) or less when the road reduces to one lane. I can't pass you anymore. Keep you speed up. This road is wide and safe - why are you so scared of driving at 100 kmph now when you weren't 2 minutes back?

So those people really bug me. I'm okay with a few km under the speed limit, but 20 or more? If they pulled to the side there is room to let others pass, but when they drive in the middle of the road, everyone gets held up.

Anyway, I now get talking books from the library and listen to them on my cd player as I drive. It stops me being so frustrated and lets me catch up on lots of reading I wouldn't have time for.

I use to have pretty bad case of road rage. I did all the above, honked and even almost got out of my car once but the other driver sped off. That incident made me realize that my rage was ridiculous and that other person could have been a total nutbar with a gun. Now I just swear to myself in the car, honk occasionally and crank the radio up and sing away to my fav tunes.

They aren't worth it...

The people that drive me nuts are the ones that drive in the left (passing) lane barely doing the speed limit, or under. MOVE TO THE RIGHT...the left lane is for passing. It doesn't matter how fast you are going. If you are in the left lane and a car is behind you, move to the right.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

I'm in Mexico now and since most of the roads in this area are narrow and blind, people put on their left blinker to tell you to go ahead and pass them. It's really handy, I wish we did that in the US!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I use to have pretty bad case of road rage. I did all the above, honked and even almost got out of my car once but the other driver sped off. That incident made me realize that my rage was ridiculous and that other person could have been a total nutbar with a gun. Now I just swear to myself in the car, honk occasionally and crank the radio up and sing away to my fav tunes.

They aren't worth it...
    That is what I tell myself every time I get pissed off. I think to myself, is this worth dying over? Answer is always no.

That said, I am a little horn happy. My husband keeps telling me I need to stop because someone might be a nut job, but it has saved me from getting into an accident multiple times.

ROFL - yea that's it!!
    It's cool to sound like a hyped up bumble bee!!

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Does it seem that a LOT of Honda drivers seem to have issues? What is it about a crappily made Japanese car that brings so much ridiculous high school behavior.

They sound like a bumblebee after a triple shot latte to add idiocy to the erratic driving behavior LOL!!

Unfortunately we don't always use a blinker for what it was intended for in the first place - let alone to be nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    I'm in Mexico now and since most of the roads in this area are narrow and blind, people put on their left blinker to tell you to go ahead and pass them. It's really handy, I wish we did that in the US!

Well, I don't even drive and i often loose it in traffic. I don't a license and yet I seem to more about driving than most morons you see on the road. My reactions can vary for a snarky comment to a full blown rant with very colorful expressions and finger flipping, depending on the asshatery of the offending driver.

Incidentally, Portuguese are notorious for thinking they can make their own rules when they're behind the wheel. The only ones who are worse are probably the Italians.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I learned to drive in France, so I'm pretty much impervious to obnoxious drivers (and, I have to say, when I go back to France I revert to "French driving" mode...lol) .
    Here, tho, I try to keep my cool, stay zen, laugh it off, stay out of trouble, especially in this country where people *may* carry a gun and *may* use it in anger...better safe than sorry.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Incidentally, Portuguese are notorious for thinking they can make their own rules when they're behind the wheel. The only ones who are worse are probably the Italians.
    If there was a world-wide search for the worst drivers, the winner would probably come out of some place in S/SE Asia or the Middle East.

When living in Arabia, there was rumor that Kenny Rogers was banned from returning after making fun of Saudi drivers at one of his concerts. Seems he was en route from one compound to another when the car he was riding in stopped for a train. Impatient and wanting to be the first across the tracks, several vehicles began pulling into the on-coming lanes such that, when the train had passed, there were 6 lines cars facing 6 lines of cars. Wouldn't suprise me if that was a true story because...

- It wasn't uncommon for a car to stop in the middle of the highway and back up because it missed an exit.
    - There were skid marks across on-coming lanes and well-worn tire tracks across clover-leaf exits because the concept of exiting to the right in order to go left fails some individuals.
    - No room to parallel park? Just pull the front end of the car up on the sidewalk. Saw that all the time, in addition to double and triple parking.

Taxis were a whole different ballgame, as they are in many parts of the world. Close your eyes and pray.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie4Bar View Post
    If there was a world-wide search for the worst drivers, the winner would probably come out of some place in S/SE Asia or the Middle East.

---

Taxis were a whole different ballgame, as they are in many parts of the world. Close your eyes and pray.
    Israel ranks up there on my list of You Have To Be Crazy To Drive There.

There were a couple of times I was all but curled in a fetal position over the antics of the drivers/taxis I was in.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I just count to ten. I have train horns, front brush guard, and a nice turbo but I really have been working on just counting to ten and beyond. They really are not worth it and I know how many people that carry guns while driving. I could be shot, killed, and whatever.

A car or truck is a potential weapon that could kill you or the other driver in a blink of an eye. That is why I cannot stand people that do not pay attention while driving or text while driving. Is it really worth killing yourself over.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

You can often get the tailgaters to back off by developing a sudden need to clean your windshield. This is especially effective if a-your car has been parked all day at the barn or, better yet, a horse show and/or b-the tailgater is driving a shiny black car.

Most of the drivers I encounter with a high degree of self entitlement seem to be driving German cars. There are some of the rice-rocket types whizzing about in Japanese cars.

Rolling leg wraps while stuck in traffic is fairly therapeutic.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post

I have been known to do that...too bad they don't give me an inch more space.

But that does not bother me...my vehicle is nearly 25 years old, big and heavy...they hit me with their new plastic cars I probably won't notice it!

had to LAUGH the other day: Drove back from school after dropping the kid off, the buses were on their second route (3 schools share them, the Elementary kids get the later round) so I see the bus blink the ambers, so I slow down and stop, just as the red lights start flashing...I hear some screeching behind me and look in my mirrors: I can barely make out the car behind me, having driven so close to my bumper I did throw it in reverse, they did not even back up! What tarts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett