The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Okay, to get the ball rolling... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I am SO excited. I am seeing U2 at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, and I actually have good seats!!! (Which cost an arm and a leg, of course. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )

I saw them for the first time here in DC a couple of months ago, and it was truly an amazing show. Definitely in my top 5 concert experiences ever. And I've been to a lot of concerts.

Other shows I've seen this year: Depeche Mode, Ani DiFranco, Jimmy Eat World (uh, 3 times, I think? Yeah, I like them a lot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, Pedro the Lion/Low, Rocket from the Crypt, Glen Phillips (formerly of Toad the Wet Sprocket), Brandston, and David Gray.

Of course, my all-time favorite band is the Cure... and they have a greatest hits CD coming out next month. Whoo-hoo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Okay, to get the ball rolling... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I am SO excited. I am seeing U2 at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, and I actually have good seats!!! (Which cost an arm and a leg, of course. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )

I saw them for the first time here in DC a couple of months ago, and it was truly an amazing show. Definitely in my top 5 concert experiences ever. And I've been to a lot of concerts.

Other shows I've seen this year: Depeche Mode, Ani DiFranco, Jimmy Eat World (uh, 3 times, I think? Yeah, I like them a lot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ), Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, Pedro the Lion/Low, Rocket from the Crypt, Glen Phillips (formerly of Toad the Wet Sprocket), Brandston, and David Gray.

Of course, my all-time favorite band is the Cure... and they have a greatest hits CD coming out next month. Whoo-hoo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Are you an Ani Difranco fan? I've been listening to her since high school but have never seen her live. How was it?
    "Men tended to discount the capacity of animals to enact, often with considerable panache, the foulest of crimes and the most daring stunts." --Michael Chabon

Smile! It won't mess up your hair!

I've gotten to be such a concert stick-in-the-mud. I don't think I've been to a show since I got all grumpy over being kicked in the head at a Jesus Lizard show a while back. A sign of getting older, I guess.

Is Garbage opening for U2 at this show, Erin?

If so, prepare to be blown away. I have seen Garbage twice and Shirley Manson, to me, is incomparable!!! The first time I saw them was at Seville Quarter in Pensacola, Florida, in early 1996 - small club show, 200-300 people or so. I saw them later that year after I'd moved to Arkansas as the opening act for Smashing Pumpkins. I left at intermission as I'd really only wanted to see Garbage!

The new CD, Beautiful Garbage, is fantastic. I love your taste in music too. Very similar to mine. We saw Depeche Mode in Dallas this summer on my partner's b'day. It was the 4th time I'd seen them live. I've also seen The Cure and always thought it was neat that Darren Chiachhia evented a horse named "Fascination Street."

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I've seen a plethora of concerts in my mere 21 years... The last one I saw was Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney. We all know about my Tim McGraw obsession -- at least Nickelodian does.

The most notable concert moment: I was at a Beach Boys concert with my mom and dad, sister and her friend, and my best friend (who had never been to a concert [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] ) and I got to go up on stage and sing with the BOYS themselves for "Surfin' USA." I really have a thing for oldies, especially when I was younger, and I was psyched to get to do that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Concert I'm afraid to admit I went to: Backstreet Boys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Okay, I'm very jealous. I wanna go to U2! I've NEVER, nope NEVER, seen them in concert. Waaaaaahhh!

Original Poster

KatyO, I have seen Ani twice... the first time was great. This last time... eh. It was almost all new stuff (and I am not a big a fan of the most recent cds) and she didn't even do an encore. I think she must have just had an off night, because everyone I've talked to has always loved her shows.

Robby, sadly, it's not Garbage at this show... I would love to see them. I think it's the Stereophonics (? - never heard of them). No Doubt is also opening some shows.

PJ Harvey opened when I saw them last. She kicks butt. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Let Granny put her teef in, ahh there. Well, I saw U2 on one of their first US tours when they released the Boy album in 19and83. They played at UNC-Chapel Hill's spring festival. Todd Rundgren was the headliner. This was back in the day when Bono would still climb to the top of any available scaffolding and swing that big white flag around, which he did that day in the rain.

My all time favorite concert was Husker Du at the old Ritz in NYC, twas their last hurrah as they broke up shortly after. When they started playing, the old wooden dance floor began to undulate.

Oh, one more, Al Green stood at the end of the stage and sang "Let's stay Together" to my husband and me. Ahh, touched by greatness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
    Is Garbage opening for U2 at this show, Erin?
    If so, prepare to be blown away. I have seen Garbage twice and Shirley Manson, to me, is incomparable!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robby - I couldn't agree with you more. A *fantastic* group (with Shirley, a wicked energetic Scotswoman lead singer) and a great complementary band to U2. While their contribution to cinema with the James Bond title track was forgetable everything else has been simply divine! If anyone doesn't have either of their first two CD's in their collection then they are simply missing out.

Saw Travis last week, and nearly wept with happiness! Their CD "The Invisible Band" is stunning. By all means, find it and listen to it if you have a love of Brit pop (of which the Stereophonics are an excellent example, by the way).
    Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American" is damn near perfect, too. i don't think JEW or Travis have been out of my CD changer since they came out.
    Neither has Pete Yorn's cd... saw him a couple months ago, and he's heading back to town in a few weeks. Sadly, he's playing the same night as Spiritualized, so i'm torn as to who to see (i'm going to end up at both. i just know it!).
    Saw The Strokes the other night. Heard of them? Very NY Dolls / Velvet Underground.
    i saw PJ and U2 on this last leg of the tour, and was blown away by both. Surely one of the best live shows ever put together.
    More in a bit (must go thru some work-type motions for now!).

Original Poster

Specks, didn't I tell ya JEW was awesome? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Looking forward to seeing the Stereophonics... hopefully my friend (who went to the last U2 show with me and, sadly, likes Ricky Martin despite my best efforts at intervention) will like them better than PJ, who she described as "noisy and scary." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Garbage is up there in my top ten fave's to see in concert. I've seen them 3 times, and SHIRLEY ROCKS!

Saw Moby this year and I gotta say
    ...Oh my friggen gawd that was awesome. Saw him at Area One with Nelly Furtado, Outkast, Incubus, The Roots and Paul Oakenfeld (Shhh...FW's the closet raver).

Just gave away tix to Jimmy's Chicken Shack and AfroMan...just wasnt diggin it.

Saw the Warped tour...Jimmy Eat world was there...along with many others. I swear I was the only person there without braces.

Has anybody heard the ColdPlay CD? They sound like my fave (Jeff Buckley) and wondered if the CD was any good?
    Fave show of all time was Tori Amos, Foo Fighters and Beck at the 9:30 club (only 300 people).
    It was unreal. You couldnt buy tickets, you had to win them...I bought mine off of Ebay for 200$ a piece. Best 200 Bucks I ever spent.

Always,
    FairWeather
    If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

joliemom - Too funny... I never thought I'd see Husker Du mentioned anywhere on a horse board!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] My ex-boyfriend (unknowingly) bought Bob Mould's old house in Minneapolis. He was a big fan of Husker Du, and tried to figure out what songs they could have written in the house, based on the dates that Bob Mould owned it.

Then you must know of the now defuct wonderful band of the early 90's

SUGAR!!!
    they rocked

Always,
    FairWeather
    If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose. - Jack Handy

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

I saw Bob Mould in a solo show after the HD breakup...I thought I would die of boredom. Bob, dude! Don't you know more than 2 chords???

Just saw that you saw Pedro/Low... I'm not too fond of Pedro the Lion, but Low is fantastic. Good sleepytime/sad/rainy day music.

I'm mostly into indie rock, and some really bad, sappy pop punk music. I've seen ten million bands (at least) in the last year and I spend far too much money expanding my record collection, when I should be spending it on other luxuries like replacing my TS that are on their deathbed. Am I a horse person or a music nerd? I struggle to answer this on a daily basis. It's hard to be both. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Mould's solo stuff was snooze music, for sure.

Sugar was great, though. Especially the first album.

Original Poster

I saw Bob solo in Chapel Hill with my brother when he was at UNC... it was okay, but I like Sugar's stuff much better. "If I can't change your mind, no one will... " [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Wowee, I had heard about Low for ages on a Cure list I'm on, and finally got "The Curtain Hits the Cast." Great CD of sad, rainy-day music. But 90 minutes of that live was a bit much. I don't have that much restraint. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I love Pedro though. They're fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Don Caballero, anyone?
    Unrest/Air Miami?
    Heavenly?