The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Paula - the puppy knows he's cute, and he's too cute for his own good My mom is the typical grandmother when i bring them over my parents house.. she thinks he's quite cute too. I'll go squeeze him now..

Pit bull.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Not even close, Guin.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Not even close, Guin.
    I think Guin has a little bit of a point, though. Even if it's not a huge %, it seems like a large number of the mutts in my area have at least a little bit of either pit bull, lab, or both in them. There are just a lot of them out there, so that makes it somewhat feasible even if it's not obvious.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

He's TN bred if that makes a difference... now residing in massachusetts

Wayside -- a bunch of lab/pitties here too

The problem is that alot of mixes end up looking like pitbulls without having a drop of Pitbull Terrier in them. It's the blockhead, square body that can come from alot of things. Remember this? http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Paula

I think that people often forget two important things when guessing breeds/mixes:

1) Depending on your area it is very very possible that you don't have an xy mix but rather an xy+ab. So rather than some obscure mix, the dog is a mix of two mix breed dogs producing unique characteristics more typical of another breed.

2) Most people with rare or unusual breeds do not let them run wild and breed with anything they find. Of course there are exceptions but it is less likely for someone to let a shar pei run free than a pit if for no reason alone than the higher prevalence of pits.

My roommate has a lovely dog she adopted as a puppy who is a dead ringer for a lab/irish wolfhound. This guy truly looks like a small show-quality irish wolfhound with a slightly lab-like coat. The odds of someone letting their intact irish wolfhound wander around are slim to none. He is out of a lab and most likely by a shepard mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I think that people often forget two important things when guessing breeds/mixes:
    1) Depending on your area it is very very possible that you don't have an xy mix but rather an xy+ab. So rather than some obscure mix, the dog is a mix of two mix breed dogs producing unique characteristics more typical of another breed.
    2) Most people with rare or unusual breeds do not let them run wild and breed with anything they find. Of course there are exceptions but it is less likely for someone to let a shar pei run free than a pit if for no reason alone than the higher prevalence of pits.
    My roommate has a lovely dog she adopted as a puppy who is a dead ringer for a lab/irish wolfhound. This guy truly looks like a small show-quality irish wolfhound with a slightly lab-like coat. The odds of someone letting their intact irish wolfhound wander around are slim to none. He is out of a lab and most likely by a shepard mix.
    Yes, its really just a guessing game-fun, though
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

It is a fun guessing game, but I am leery of people bandying about the word pitbull. There is too much breed prejudice out there and the wrong person hears that you have a pitbull and all kinds of ruction ensues.

Paula

Thanks, Paula Now I have to go look up the definition of ruction.

A-hah! Ruction=Quarrel, rumpus or row.

I cant wait to whip that puppy out at the earliest opportunity Thanks!

LOL! I was just channeling my inner Rastafarian. When I was growing up it was a word we used me to commess (which is French patois for ruction LOL).

Pronunciation guide

Commess (Come ES)
    Ruction (Rockshan)

Oh dear, I'm getting punchy from all the grading.

Paula

Geez, there's another! HMMM....Commess.

Commess-confusion, scandal, heap, jumble, or (my favorite!) A dirty mess left in a yard.

My vocabulary has expanded this evening. Merci!

Oops I misspelled it -it should be commese. Where the heck did you find a definition for commesse? Here is more Trini (Trinidadian) talk. Enjoy.

http://www6.miami.edu/studorgs/ttca/trinitalk.htm

You can see from the list that commesse can cause all kinds of bachannal.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post
    I think you all have renewed our want of a DNA test.. dammit
    These DNA tests are not very accurate. When I was working in an animal shelter, a test maker came in and tried to get advertisements about their kits included in the "Bag Of Goodies" that went out with adopted dogs. And in an effort o get some interest going they offered free tests to staff.

My registered GSD came back as a mix of Shetland Sheepdog, Norwegian Elkhound and GSD. Not even close to being accurate. My Pug came back as simply "Unknown".

Save your money, love your dog and enjoy playing "Guess The Breed". My vote is BoxerxRottweiler. The head says Rottie to me.
    Sheilah

I know of a woman who has a dog who she says all day long is a pit mix. The dog has total lab structure, and is just as likely lab/Bulldog mix. I just don't see pitbull in this dog at all, but she believes it is. Something bully breed-ish, but maybe even houndy... anyway, she's a huge pit ambassador and always uses her dog as a teaching tool for people who aren't familiar with the breed. Sometimes I think it's silly since I don't see necessarily pitbull, but the dog is a therapy dog and really well behaved and a good model citizen....but enough people think he looks like a pit, so hey. It's a lot better than the dog being a total hellion and being presented as a pittie I guess! :-D
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Undocked boxers can have relatively curly tails. So in the spirit of playing the guessing game I would go with out of a boxer mom and by a lab/pitt mix which would could explain the dense short coat, blocky head, and coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post

I see your point, but I still think there must be something in there making his tail super curly. There are not a whole lot of breeds with tails as curly as this.. I can think husky, malamute, spitz, shar pei, akita... I understand there probably is a small percent of the breed in there, but he has some pretty unique characteristics, which is what started this whole thing.
    My pictures don't do his tail justice. There are times when he is on alert and it's lays on his back and the lower half if curled on the side of his body.I've see pictures of undocked boxer tails, and it looks more like our other boxer cross. Curly hen alarmed/excited, but this is different.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    You can see from the list that commesse can cause all kinds of bachannal.

Paula
    Bacchanal - great show name

I'm guessing the ever popular, ever common pit/lab cross with a touch of chow thrown in! He's pretty!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.