The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Higher end sales barn around the South-Atlantic?

Hell all.

I am currently beside myself with the idea of selling my horse. He is #8 that I have owned (I usually do not become attached) but he is fancier than most and has the a ton of potential. I bought him as a yearling and just recently started him under saddle as a 3 year old. He, by far, has been one of the most challenging horses that I have ever started, but in the last month I have been really enjoying him because things finally have started to "click".

I received news yesterday that my husband and I might be moving to Alberta Canada for his job. Originally I thought this might be a shorter-term job (12 to 18 months) and I was thinking that I would like to lease my horse out during that time. Unfortunately the job will be closer to 5 years so I think I will have to sell.

I am looking for recommendations on higher end sales barns that have reputable trainers/staff. I would like to stay around the $1000 mark per month (is that even possible?) not including commissions. I just want to make sure my horse has appropriate advertising (photos/video) and that they actually ride and take care of him while he's being marketed since I won't be around. I am preferably looking at NC and surrounding states

::Sigh::
    Last edited by GoGrnRideIrish; May. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more specific location added

Why can't you bring him with you when you move?

I can bring him, but I don't feel that it is fair to my horse to haul him across country over 2500 miles for a 5 year period and then back to the US (probably another 2500 miles). That would be an extremely long, taxing trailer ride and not to mention very costly. I would be interested in receiving more information on air travel (if anyone can chime in on that) and international travel. I assume my horse would require a passport? I am not sure it is worth the thousands of dollars and the stress to bring him with me but I would like to look at my options.

I've hauled close to that, it's not that bad, and after five years, he won't remember it anyways. Heck, he won't remember it after five weeks.

Horses aren't children, it's not like he's has to change schools and lose all his friends.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

If you would rather keep him, I suggest you talk to some of the long haul shippers. You will probably feel more comfortable about having him shipped to you.
    Horses don't care about how far it is. They have to stand in a box and eat hay until it's over, then it's over.
    Show horses especially are hauled coast to coast and do just fine.
    I would not haul a horse on a trip like that myself.

Seriously, I would consider taking him with you! 2500 miles is not that bad and you could have a commercial hauler ship him for you in a box stall if you wanted. If I were you, I would not trust sending a horse to a sales barn, too many bad things can go wrong.

I have heard horror stories about a horse being shipped those distances and ending up looking ragged and thin at the end of the trip. That's why I would prefer using air travel if I decide to ship him. Just my preference and also after some research, looks like wouldn't be much different in cost.

Can anyone comment on the passport thing?

Also, are there really NO recommendations of sales barns? None?

I will give you references for trainers I personally know, the list of others I've heard of would be very long

Chris Wynne of Breckenridge Manor in Virginia Beach is very good w/ the younger horses. He is patient and horses really like him, plus he has great connections for selling.

Jason Berry is very well known in the area for his great ability w/ young horses and he also is wonderful at marketing a horse. He is located right outside harrisonburg va.

both have websites but I can PM you their info if you would like.

I train w/ Chris so I can tell you firsthand that I have seen young horses grow and mature under his training, including my own. I'm not recommending him simply b/c I train w/ him, he really is great at what he does.

I have also seen Jason in action w/ his client's horses, the majority of which are young. His show success speaks for itself as well.

a great avenue for selling is exchangehunterjumper.com it is a rapidly growing high end horse sales company that is extremely professional and does a fantastic job marketing your horse and getting its name out there to serious buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrnRideIrish View Post

Can anyone comment on the passport thing?

:

I am currently in the process of purchasing a horse from Canada (I live in the States). They need paperwork certified by a federal vet ($50 or less) but do not necessairly need a passport. No quarantine or anything as long as the travel is between Canada & USA. The mare's vet in Canada has been very helpful in the process.

Here is a link I have found very useful:
    http://www.horsebc.com/kvs/bordercrossing.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrnRideIrish View Post
    I can bring him, but I don't feel that it is fair to my horse to haul him across country over 2500 miles for a 5 year period and then back to the US (probably another 2500 miles). That would be an extremely long, taxing trailer ride and not to mention very costly. I would be interested in receiving more information on air travel (if anyone can chime in on that) and international travel. I assume my horse would require a passport? I am not sure it is worth the thousands of dollars and the stress to bring him with me but I would like to look at my options.
    It's really not that far at all, and 5 years in one place is a pretty long time. If you send him with a profesional shipper with in a box stall it sholud be a very comfortable experience for him. If you are flexible about his departure/arrival dates you can get him on a truck with a bunch of other horses so it won't be crazy expensive. If this horse is really important to you I would not leave him behind for the reasons you are worried about.

Edited to add that if you send him to a sales barn you could easily spend more with him sitting there for months (or even easily a year) than you would to ship him to Alberta. You don't need a passport for him, just health papers.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The shipping is not a big deal if you use a reputable commercial service. I just shipped my heart horse 1000 miles and he came off the truck looking just as bright and perky as he was when I loaded him on it in the first place. The air ride trailers that the big shippers use are quite nice; I dare say from the horse's perspective it's not much different than being in the barn. The stalls are quite big and they hay and water and all that.

I've shipped horses by air from Europe and frankly I think that was a bit harder on them, but nothing major. They do have to contend with the pressure changes and so forth.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Shipping:
    I've shipped from Iowa to N. Florida, From N. Florida to NW Washington (almost Canada), and Tucson, AZ to NW Washington. There are some REALLY good shippers out there, and there are several that take Canadian routes from the South (via Mid-Atlantic).

2500 miles is nothing, seriously. We are gearing up to move our 2 kids, dog, two tbs from NW Washington back down to Florida. It's about 3600 miles and we're hauling them ourselves (we are planning about 2 weeks, but that's because we're visiting some family along the way). Hubby is Navy and we are doing move #10 in 9 years this fall. Thankfully, I have my CoTH friends to hold my hand (and hopefully give me advice on where to stay) along the way.

Horses bounce back very quickly and settle into new surroundings quickly, moreso if they are young and fit (like your guy). It sounds like you two are a pretty good team.

Passport/Boarder Crossing:
    Up here, people go to Thunderbird all the time. You get a 10 (or is it 7- can't remember, we're not good enough for Thunderbird... yet!) day health certificate (as opposed to the normal 30 day one). They make sure the identifying marks match and send you on your way! Easy-peasy... No passports needed.

Sales barns:
    That's where I have to leave you. I know nothing about sales barns in the mid-atlantic, but it sounds like you've got lots of help in that department around here.

Good luck, it's not easy to move anywhere. It is doubly fun with ponies, but I, personally, wouldn't have it any other way!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

People ship across country all the time. Look at the horse's that go west to east coast for KY derby or Rolex. I think you'll be fine with the shipping with a good professional. But.. If you're very determined to sell, are you looking in a specific area or just somewhere along the east coast?

i work for an equine vet here in florida. all you need is a coggins and an international health cert. no passport needed. very easy to do and under 100.00 bucks for both. find a big shipper, get a box stall, horse will be just fine. it's really no big deal to them.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Anywhere really on the east coast. Mid Atlantic to South Atlantic- I don't mind shipping him to a reputable trainer that I know won't rip me off.

Still trying to keep all options open.

Ok, so if I don't do air travel and I go the commercial shipping (ground) route- can anyone recommend a shipper that goes US and Canada?

Thanks again for all your input.

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

We used to haul our 4 family horses ourselves 3000 miles from the mountains to the east coast to our summer house every year - yes, my parents were clearly a little nuts, and thought it was a fun family roadtrip, but honestly, out horses did great - nightly stops at nice little barns with turnouts, sometimes we'd stay a little longer and go for a long hack to stretch their legs or ride in an interesting place. It was a leisurely five days usually.

We did this every year - once every 5 years shouldn't be too much of a stress for your guy Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Brookledge. They took our horses from Seattle, WA to WEF and back (mine included). All came off looking great and ready to show.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by LovesHorses View Post
    Brookledge. They took our horses from Seattle, WA to WEF and back (mine included). All came off looking great and ready to show.
    I used and would recommend Brookledge as well. The drivers are all horsemen, and I was really happy with the service.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I wouldn't hesitate at all to ship my horses to Canada (I'm in FL). I'd also recomment Brookledge or Lorraine - not sure if Creech goes to Canada. I'd go with one of the big shippers and get a box stall. We ship our racehorses all the time and they do very well. We also shipped our 9 horses, 2 weanlings and a mini when we moved here from MA. They all came off the van in great shape. I think you run into the horror stories with some of the less known shippers (although I am sure there are good ones out there).

Sorry, not familiar with the NC area barns.

Good luck!