The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .

Found an answer!
    Last edited by Vibrant Black; Feb. 16, 2013 at 01:24 PM.

It blows my mind that people in this country do not see that we need to have everyone have affordable medical care so that they are not bankrupt by illness.

I knew of one couple who actually divorced because the illness of one was going to bankrupt them.

Maybe try to work out a payment agreement on the copays?

No advice. So sorry to hear about your situation. Wishing for a speedy recovery for you.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Perhaps try a walk-in clinic first to see if they can help (not sure what sickness you have). They're usually less expensive, even if you opt to pay out of pocket.

If not, call up the hospital and ask if they have any programs for low-income/underinsured families.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Try talking to the hospital about a payment plan and discounts.
    And shop around ASK several hospitals. YES you can get price comparisons people! Speak to your doctor he should be able to suggest different options, if it's appropriate for your situation.
    Look at your hospitals web site and do a search for "patients advocate", they are there to help guide you through your stay, help you find payment options, grants etc.
    I hope you are better soon and remember that you are more important than money.

I'm sorry to hear it. How very frustrating. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Speak to your local hospital. Many are willing to negotiate/take payments etc.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The hospital will work with you if you ask for help. When my son broke his femur we were able to negotiate discounts and a payment plan for the $20,000 tab.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Another option is to find a medical school. I work for Duke and we have a huge endowment for charity care. Things are even better at UNC (15 minutes down the road) for those without coverage.

Good luck, OP, and I'll be jingling for a speedy, uneventful recovery.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Can't advise - just sending sympathy. This would never happen up here - we just go to the doctor, or hospital as necessary. I cannot understand how sick people cannot get the care they need.

Is it rude to ask what the deductible might be -- is it variable across the country, or a standard amount. Don't think I'm prying, and don't answer if it is rude to ask. Ignore it.

Is it true that major illness is the predominant cause of bankruptcy in the middle class? I believe it from seeing the effects on acquaintances.

I hope you get better and/or find a teaching hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Can't advise - just sending sympathy. This would never happen up here - we just go to the doctor, or hospital as necessary. I cannot understand how sick people cannot get the care they need.

Is it rude to ask what the deductible might be -- is it variable across the country, or a standard amount. Don't think I'm prying, and don't answer if it is rude to ask. Ignore it.
    Deductibles vary. Mine is $100 for a hospital stay. However our health insurance is expensive. Some people or their employer choose a less expensive plan with a higher deductible. Most plans do have an annual out of pocket limit but it can be up to $5000, possibly more. It is possible to establish a Health Savings Account with before tax income to pay that deductible or other qualified health expenses
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_savings_account
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Last edited by Vibrant Black; Feb. 16, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

I'm so glad I decided to move to Canada not the US, I don't understand why you are so against a civilized form of health service
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I'm so glad I decided to move to Canada not the US, I don't understand why you are so against a civilized form of health service
    In all honesty I think most people are not against it at all, however it's very difficult to get most people to vote.

A large number of the ones who do vote and don't support universal healthcare are swayed by bumper-sticker sized talking points (like the outright lie of death panels that an amazing number of people were gullible enough to believe). When they say they don't want to pay for other peoples' illnesses they don't understand that they already are, through the cost of their health insurance and the high costs of medical treatment in America.

Additionally many of these people don't even understand the current healthcare overhaul because conservative pundits don't really explain it - they just try to make it sound scary. But when its' explained to them, many say that they support the individual pieces which could help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant Black View Post
    My insurance is $30 co-pay for dr. It is $240 for ER visit.
    I have about $150 in my checking with NO income.

Mabey I should just donate my body to science. well that would take care of burial cost anyway
    In that case speak with your local hospital. Many in this area will admit people who earn less than 200% of the federal poverty level at no charge.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

OP, apply for Medicaid. It might take a while to be approved, but at least you'll have something.

My daughter's deductible for major medical (anything but a doctor's office visit) is $1,000. Then her coverage is 80/20 with a maximum out of pocket of $10,000 per year. We've hit it, several times. She has a pre-existing condition and this is the best coverage we could get. Even after the base deductible and the 20% is hit, it's $200 to go to the emergency room. At least, thanks to Obamacare, her max lifetime, which was $1M is lifted. She would have already hit it.

What you say...you don't like Obamacare? Let her die in this case is MY DAUGHTER. A returning student with a 4.0 who is applying to medical school. Not that it matters. She could be totally incapacitated because of her illness and it's still my daughter we're talking about.

We need single payer health care in this country. Healthcare is a right, not a privilege.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    In all honesty I think most people are not against it at all, however it's very difficult to get most people to vote.

A large number of the ones who do vote and don't support universal healthcare are swayed by bumper-sticker sized talking points (like the outright lie of death panels that an amazing number of people were gullible enough to believe). When they say they don't want to pay for other peoples' illnesses they don't understand that they already are, through the cost of their health insurance and the high costs of medical treatment in America.

Additionally many of these people don't even understand the current healthcare overhaul because conservative pundits don't really explain it - they just try to make it sound scary. But when its' explained to them, many say that they support the individual pieces which could help them.
    I consider myself to be a liberal and I don't support single payer (government) health care. I do support the mandate and other parts of Obamacare.

I don't support government health care because I see to many things that the government has messed up, the school lunch program, the post office etc. Would you be willing to turn your 401K over to the government and rely on social security?

I also believe competition between health insurance companies is a good thing. Do you really want to give up FedEx and UPS in favor of the USPS?

I also believe people should be able to choose the type of plan they are most comfortable with. Do you know that federal employees cannot get coverage for most abortions? Mr P and I have a very expensive but very comprehensive health plan. A healthy single person could very well be better off with a less expensive plan and a HSA.

Haffy, IIRC your health care issues haven't all been sunshine and roses
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

In the past when we've had medicals bills that were higher than expected we've been able to talk to the hospital and they worked with us to make up a payment plan.

Yeah, I agree, the US health care system is a mess. We finally have decent insurance again, but for a while there my husband was in a contract to hire position and due to preexisting conditions I got turned down for normal health insurance and had to get crappy HIRSP insurance with a bunch of exclusions. It was messy, and expensive, and we ended up having to pay for all my medical bills during that time frame ourselves anyhow And before that our coverage was better than HIRSP, but we still had a $3,000 deductible.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Having been born and raised in the UK I am used to social health care, it just seems the norm to me BUT...

I believe in competition as well, and the system that the UK has now seems like sense, may not be perfect, nothing is, but it is a reasonable idea.

Everyone pays into the health service through wage deductions, which provides or the universal care for all, so it takes away some of the worry about getting ill. You can however take out private insurance on top of that, which allows you to choose to not to use the health service, but to go to a private clinic.

In Sask here I don't have that option, even if I could afford it, so social care it is with it's frustrations of waiting lists and lack of choice.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique