The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This was in the editorial of the Jerusalem Post this morning and I found a little comfort in it, so I pass it on the BB:

"We are sickened once again by scenes of Palestinians dancing in the streets, this time celebrating the deaths of Americans. We have trouble fathoming the hatred directed at us, so we can only imagine the bafflement and pain of Americans attempting to contemplate the baseless hatred directed at them. Some Americans, like some Israelis, may be tempted to think about what they have done wrong, what they might have done to cause people to take so many lives. The answer is that America has been attacked not for what it has done wrong, but for what it has done right: for being the hope of the entire world."

--s.
    Under carefully controlled conditions of breeding, training, and care, a horse will do whatever it damn well pleases.

I guess if you and your family just spent the last 50 years living in a sh*thole piece of land, having been booted from where you used to live, with no economy to speak of, and the US was the best pal of your enemy...well, I find it unsurprising. I think it's mainly Americans who believe that we are the universal font of peace and justice. The rest of the world realizes that we support democracy and peace only as long as it does not interfere with our resource consumption. Because of our creation and support of murderous dicatorships, you will never, for instance, see Mister Kissinger travel to Spain, as the citizens and courts of that nation would very much like to see the US held accountable for its own crimes against humanity. I find this tragedy to be completely shocking and horrifying, but sadly I'm not at all surprised that there are factions out there who are desperately pissed off at the US.

Its a good thing I don't own a gun, or my TV woulda been taken out last night. I have hatred in me at those people celebrating that I didn't even know existed. Yes they are civilians also, but you don't see me dancing in the streets and yelling at the site of their country being torn apart. Damn them all to hell.

5 months down........6 to go
    (OMG, I totally missed month 4!!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

edit
    Last edited by Goodyfourshoes!; May. 20, 2007 at 01:58 AM.

I know we are hated, I know we are despised, I did not realize that people had it in them to celebrate the death of thousands of people who were completely unsuspecting, and had absolutely nothing to do with their troubles.

5 months down........6 to go
    (OMG, I totally missed month 4!!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Let's not repeat history and suddenly hate all middle easterns as happened to the japanese in wwII. We DON'T know who did this yet! As for the people celebrating i feel pity for them being so ignorant as to celebrate the loss of innocent human life. Don't hate the children who probably have no idea in their head about what really went down.....and have been taught all their lives "america is bad'. Hating them will not solve anything.
    Whoah-oh Black Betty BamaLam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ponyjocke:
    Let's not repeat history and suddenly hate all middle easterns as happened to the japanese in wwII. We DON'T know who did this yet! As for the people celebrating i feel pity for them being so ignorant as to celebrate the loss of innocent human life. Don't hate the children who probably have no idea in their head about what really went down.....and have been taught all their lives "america is bad'. Hating them will not solve anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone hates the children. Obviously, it is NOT their fault. It was just a disturbing image. Almost more disturbing is that these brainwashed children will grow into adults, God willing.

I do believe that innocent lives will be lost when the US strikes back. However, I believe these innocents will be placed in the path of danger BY the guilty parties. Unfortunately, I don't believe those parties will feel the guilt. We will. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Brainwashed was exactly the word i was looking for. We don't even know if they really know what happened, do you think they had just been watching cnn? Highly doubtful. I know there is rage and everyone wants justice but don't take it out on every middle eastern person you see, just as you wouldnt want the world to type cast you as another timothy macveigh. Save the rage for when we catch the people who did this.
    Whoah-oh Black Betty BamaLam

On the morning news in an interview, it was mentioned that in an Iraqi newspaper it says "Americans got what they deserved." I believe this quote is from Saddam Hussein.

What is wrong with these people? Just because a country is not allies with us does not mean they have to celebrate or make comments like the above. I'm just apalled and still in shock...

* Fiero *

=============================================
    worthy wrote:

Langshaw, as one rather astute poster in another thread pointed out, those videos of people
    dancing and celebrating are no more real representatives of an entire country than the KKK is of the entire United States.

=============================================

That may be true, but these people shown on tv are the same people who strap on bombs, or support those who do, and blow up pizza parlors and discos full of teenagers.

There are various people and media in the middle east who have come out in support of what was done yesterday.

Maybe many Arabs deplore what happened yesterday, but you can't deny that many more are clapping their hands with glee over the death and destruction.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Yes, I absolutely deny that. I firmly believe that hose images show only a tiny fraction of a population. A fraction of extemists.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

"That was one of the video clips I saw today in my university library, and it very nearly made me physically ill. Little kids, laughing and dancing in the street because tens of thousands of Americans are dead?"

It also made me feel great anger and just sick that people would rejoice over those who have suffered and died. I realize it is only one video and one scene in which we see them celebrating...but as much as I may disagree politically or otherwise with someone....I would never celebrate their death and destruction...no matter who you are. Maybe Americans have celebrated the deaths of enemies past, but I certainly never was dancing out on the street making a spectacle of myself over another's misfortune...besides does that make it right and justifiable?
    As far as the kids....well, what can we expect? If the adults teach the children that it is a good thing for Americans to die...what else do they know?
    As for them living what we lived through everyday of their lives....well, as I said, I don't cheer when they and there families are killed...I don't know what to think of people like that, except that they are sick and disturbed...I just hope that all involved in causing/helping this massive tragedy get what's coming to them.
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

...I watched a talk show a few years ago that had 2 families that were members of the KKK. They had young children on stage, dressed in white sheets, spewing out awful, hateful, racists things. It was easy to see how brainwashed they were and it made me sad for them that they were being brought up this way. I couldn't blame them because it was what they were being taught by their trash parents. But what's scary is that these children grow up to be racists adults, capable of doing much more harm than just talk. And that's what's sad about watching it happen in other countries...whether we can try to understand why the children were celebrating our loss (they were taught to, brainwashed, from their perspective we are the evil ones, etc.), it will just continue as they grow up and teach their children the same thing and on and on.

I was a college student during the gulf war, and I remember being sickened by the keg parties at which Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the USA' and drunken cheering were the soundtrack to CNN coverage of the bombing of Baghdad. People everywhere have an equal capacity for being mindlessly insular, patriotic swine. As long as the bad stuff is happening to someone else, we humans really don't care all that much.

it's too bad those keg partiers didn't actually listen to the words of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" - a poignant antiwar anthem if ever there was one.
    I think we tend to dehumanize our enemies. There is so much suffering and hatred in the world, that it is easy to forget that each one of us is human - who love and are loved.
    I hope that the people who are responsible for this horrifying act (those who are still alive, that is) will be brought to justice without more hatred and bloodshed.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!