The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm here, I'm here! let's do a COTH dinner! I have a digital camera so I can be like ETBW and take lots of pictures! Muhahahahahahaa.

Weatherford is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

HEarings are 13-14-15, with a possibility (I just heard) of opening statements on Friday teh 12th.

I will be there, or so it appears...
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Good go! Weatherford you can carry our state flag. Bless you! I wish I could get there but I know I can depend on you to represent us. If you want a letter from me you have it!

Texas we're depending on you now that we have heard the call to arms. Why not get to all those pony clubs and round up some little kids who dream of going to the Olympics and bring them with you?

Original Poster

GREAT IDEA, Snowbird!!!

ANy Texas PC'ers out there???
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

If somebody can explain to me what the meeting is about and what position I'm supposed to take I'll try to go. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I certainly hope those of you who attend such meeting formulate your own educated opinion before jumping on any bandwagon.

There are lots of threads out here which cover the whole history of this fiasco.

The USET and the AHSA worked together for 50 years to field Olympic Teams when the Army was no longer mounted. The USOC has to be compliant with the Ted Stevens Athletic Act which requires that there be only one NGB(National Governing Body) for each sport in the Olympics. That body has to have total management and cannot delegate it's authority.

About 3 years ago the USET requested and was granted an Operating Agreement from the AHSA so they could do their own fund raising etc. Then the USET got mad because Alan Balch as President of the AHSA requested financial statements and business plans which he was required to have under the Ted Stevens Act. The USET filed a complaint againt the AHSA saying that AHSA was in violation because the operating agreement proved they had delegated their authority. Then the USET filed a challenge to request they be made the NGB.

AHSA offered them a merger where both the AHSA and the USET would be equally important. That offer was refused by the USET aand they then began to try an reorganize to be eligible to be NGB. All of their meetings motions etc. were found to have be done in violation of New Jersey State Corporate laws and found null and void.

So here we are the USET needs to present it's case to the USOC and the AHSA will present their case to the USOC in Texas.

The USET has clearly indicated they are only interested in the elite athletes and will not be bothered with us little folks. That is in violation of the Federal Ted Stevens Act. They have nothing in place, no financial stability and no history for sanctioning horse shows, setting up hearing committees and drug testing at competitions.

The Ted Stevens Act clearly states that the NGB must be in control and have a program so that every little kid in America who rides a horse can know they could be selected to ride in the Olympics. The AHSA has changed over the past year from a horse shows association to USA Equestrian and has in place all the necessary parts to fulfill the requirements of an NGB which it has been for 50 years and which it is now as we speak.

The USET has not "and without opinions" just based on the facts has not proved it can even operate under the rule of law. Here it is only 2 weeks before the hearing which has been postponed from September 24,25,26 in New York in a state of total disarray and financially in a hole taking money from their endowment funds and with a $2 million debt obligation.

They have been required to reinstate all the Directors and Trustees who they dumped because they disagreed back in their positions. At best they have had one teleconference to reorganize and try to comply. They have no one to staff all the necessary departments which would have to be created no finances to cover such a big investment without sacrificing the welfare of the elite athletes they are supposed to be helping.

The Team headquarters is still in limbo because all the necessary easements have not been filed to make it possible for them to operate on their farm.

Therefore, I think it is a simple issue and without concern for who is who or who is what it seems clear that they are just not capable. The USOC at the hearing in Texas will make the final decision which will be forwarded to the Board of the USOC.

It's important that the USOC understand that this sport is not one limited to multi millionaires but full of little folks like us. There are 1.9 million horse owners involved in showing in this sport, 80,000 of them belong to USA Equestrian. The USET represents at best 1% of the 80,000. I believe their membership is much less than 8,000 which would be 1% of just the USAEQ members.

So for all the new children who will be born and who will learn to ride this generation has the responsibility to protect them and make sure that they can ride with hope and the dream that if they wish and can, they can become an Olympian. They need to know that their selection does not depend on who they know but how they ride. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Weatherford - any news on where?

okay - I putting in for a vacation day on the 15th - let me know if you hear more re 12th
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Original Poster

Nothing yet - just the bad news that (contrary to all reports) plane fares are NOT cheap from this area! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Will post when I hear.

W - if you find any cheaper to Houston I'd be glad to ferry you to Austin from here

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Original Poster

Thanks, SGray - I have to go from Austin to CA, and discovered it was significantly cheaper to go to CA first, spend the night, THEN go to Austin and back to CA (spend a few days) then home to NJ...

Of course, to GET to CA, I have to go through about 4 stops - no cheap non-stops to San Jose anymore! As a matter of fact, I think I am going through Dallas to get to SJ?!! Yikes!

See you then!

Great W - I'm excited at the prospect of meeting you

So who likes what kind of food - so we can go to dinner together - I'll quiz my sister (lives in Austin) about restaurants if you tell me what your preference is

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Of course, to GET to CA, I have to go through about 4 stops - no cheap non-stops to
    San Jose anymore! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Living near San Jose, and having taken several flights this year, I can vouch for that statement.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though, if you are going to be staying overnight in the San Jose area when you fly to CA, I would be more than happy to pick you up and have you stay overnight with us - we live close by. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Original Poster

Thanks, Dublin, taken care of already - work that needs to be done!

Perhaps, however, we could do dinner the following week? I will be in Salinas.

Original Poster

SGray - email me! thanks!

W - check your email

Langshaw/Nickelodian and I live in Austin so we've got the 411 on all the restaurants here. Please don't forget about us even though we (I) aren't going to the meeting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Since it is over a weekend for the most part and I wouldn't have to take MORE time off work, I want to see if there is a way I can swing going to the Austin meetings.

I am in the same category of "can't get there from here" without spending a huge amount on plane fare. I want to go, but have already had to eat my plane fare from ATL to NY, so can't spend a fortune... I got a credit rather than a refund, so am stuck with the options on that one airline.

They don't fly to Austin, but I can get to Houston for a reasonable amount, if it is not too far to drive??? Can someone tell me how long it will take?

And can anyone recommend an inexpensive place to stay over the weekend in the Austin area, relatively close to the hearings?

To appreciate heaven well
    'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
    Will Carleton (1845-1912)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Lucassb - approx. 3.5 hours Houston to Austin
    I likely won't drive up until Sat. am. due to constraints of caring for beasts here

Houston Intercontinental is about 45 minutes from me (Houston Hobby is alot more) - plenty of room in my F250 or check with Portia, she is probably going to go up before I will be able to get away

I will be sleeping on couch at my sister's place(with her dogs and cats) - it sounded like Portia was gonna shack-up with old boyfriend ;-}
    (uh-oh, I'm gonna get slapped by Portia - joke Portia, just a joke)

surely there could be some roomie available...... folks? how about it?

Lucassb and Weatherford -- and SGray! -- hmmph! I guess you missed my post offering the car pool from Houston to Austin, or were you all just ignoring me? Or maybe I thought I posted it and I was hallucinating? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, depending one where you start in Houston and where you're going in Austin, it is about a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hour drive, and a rather pretty one as drives around Texas go. Not too painful at all, and I've done it back and forth on the same day several times.

Does anybody yet have word on exactly where the hearing is going to be held? I don't have to worry about flights but do have to think about where to stay. Our firm's Austin office can always find me a room somewhere, but I'd like it to be somewhere near the hearing.

Lucassb, Austin is both the home to a major university and the capital of Texas, so there are plenty of hotel and motel rooms in a variety of price ranges all over the city. When we find out where the hearing is, I'm sure we Texans will be able to recommend a place.

And S, much as he and I are still dear friends, I don't think the ex-boyfriend's wife would approve of us shacking up for the weekend. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] He and I can have dinner together, but that's about all that's allowed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry