The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want to TP George RR Martin's House

I've finished reading Dances with Dragons, and dang it, if he didn't kill of YET ANOTHER of my favorite characters (of course, what I've learned through the series is that if you don't see a head on a spike, don't count them out).

Still--the last few books in the series have needed some editing imho, and pretty soon there won't be any of the old characters left.

Anyone else want to TP his house with me?
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't think you want to go near his house but who knows, he might invite you in for tea.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm halfway through Book 4 and just super annoyed that Arya hasn't been killed yet. She's super annoying.

Beyond that? I don't want to post any spoilers here. It's really hard because I have a lot of friends who are into the TV version (and whaaaaa was up with that last episode? NONE OF THAT HAPPENED!) and only one or two who have read the books....so I'm sitting and watching the show just dying to be THAT GIRL who spoils everything for everyone. My one poor friend who has finished the series gets angry texts at 2am from me every time another character is killed off.

Haha! good idea- I'm in!!

Dances with Dragons? Are you talking about Game of Thrones???

I will just assume you are, okay?

I read the first three books. I learned NEVER to get too attached to any one character. It was depressing how many get 'cut' from the story.

Except Tyrion Lannister...can't help but fall mad in love with him...IN THE BOOK, mind you. He is such a complete character, meaning the author gave him all the attributes of a hero but every one of the excesses of a true Lannister. He is a very interesting man.

After reading the comments of many other GoT readers on Amazon, I decided to not read the next books. I gather Mr. Martin just gets 'worse' as the story continues, plus he's got 2 more books to go and isn't getting them done. I hate that.

BUT my daughter gave me the first year and the next 5(?) episodes of HBO's series. I'll be honest, I like it more than the books, and I almost NEVER say that. And Peter Dinklage is WONDERFUL as Tyrion Lannister...he IS Tyrion! You forget the man is only 4 and a half feet tall because he is consistently a MAJOR part of the story. I could live without Denaris Tellahoobgoblin, and am disgusted by the foster brother's antics, but between Tyrion and John Snow, and Arya's travels, it is a very good reason to keep the bigscreen TV.

I give it a thumbs up...

But, yeah...I'd avoid George R.R. Martin like the plague. He seems to adore killing things...

Ha! I was more likely to go kidnap him and chain him to his computer until he tells us what has really happened to MY FAVORITE CHARACTER at the end of DwD. IS HE REALLY DEAD OR NOT? Are you going to turn him into a zombie like Catelyn??

Martin, I HATE you!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Ha! I was more likely to go kidnap him and chain him to his computer until he tells us what has really happened to MY FAVORITE CHARACTER at the end of DwD. IS HE REALLY DEAD OR NOT? Are you going to turn him into a zombie like Catelyn??

Martin, I HATE you!
    Exactly! At least another character's debilitating condition was only temporary (trying not to give anything away). Maybe if I read it LIKE a Zombie book I'd like it better? The last two books are just rambling-cause-I-can books. Sigh.

I'm NOT going to go all Misery on him or anything. I just want to vent in an adolescent manner: thus the TP-ing of his house.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I read them all and am a huge fan.
    Did anyone else who read the book think that Danerys's dragons were just a complete black stallion fantasy of hers and she never *trained* them, so they are understandably wild?
    And I think that character is going to be Warging instead of dead.
    After 5 books WHERE IS RICKON. Geez.

Also, on the tv series, where the heck are the Reeds? How are they going to do that?
    And Marjory was not that in depth in the books untill later, you sort of weren't sure if she was that calculating or not.
    Peter Dinklege is so perfect I think I am in love.

ACK! I didn't start reading Dance with Dragons yet! No spoilers, please!

Also, I just want to go over there and say: "STOP KILLING ALL THE CHARACTERS, DAMMIT!"

Martin is evil...
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I almost stopped reading after the first book when I realized there was not going to be a happy ending for the Starks. Ever. But, I came around to it and read the rest in a sort of standoffish way. I didn't enjoy them as much as the books in which you get to follow one protagonist through to his or her eventual triumph, but he does write a good story.

Has anyone listened to the audio books? The guy who does them has a completely atrocious voice for all of the female characters, Daenarys in particular. Also, if I hadn't read the books first, I would've had no idea what some of the names were based on his pronunciations.

Martin has based his series very loosely on the War of the Roses. That was not a happy period of history for England and the carnage was pretty severe. So, this is not going to be story about happy endings.

I have no idea where he is ultimately going with the series or how he can finish in two remaining books. But it is worth the wait. He definitely does not need to be distracted by having his home TPed!
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kealit View Post
    I almost stopped reading after the first book when I realized there was not going to be a happy ending for the Starks. Ever. But, I came around to it and read the rest in a sort of standoffish way. I didn't enjoy them as much as the books in which you get to follow one protagonist through to his or her eventual triumph, but he does write a good story.

Has anyone listened to the audio books? The guy who does them has a completely atrocious voice for all of the female characters, Daenarys in particular. Also, if I hadn't read the books first, I would've had no idea what some of the names were based on his pronunciations.
    Forget audio books. As soon as the last tome is published and the show comes to an end, someone needs to do an audio drama adaptation with a full cast and sound effects. That is the best way to get the whole experience if you don't want to read and you want to use your imagination.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I just finished ADWD. I am so mad! lol

I may have to go back and re read the whole series- I've read the entire thg in the last 2 months and a lot of it runs together. holy cow. and I'm still not over Ned Stark's death.
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    and I'm still not over Ned Stark's death.
    Hey we should get together and have a "Why did Ned Stark have to die?" pitty party

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Hey we should get together and have a "Why did Ned Stark have to die?" pitty party
    Well, they picked an actor that rarely lives to the end credits to play him so, despite not reading the books, that was hardly a shocker.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Well, they picked an actor that rarely lives to the end credits to play him so, despite not reading the books, that was hardly a shocker.

Everything I've seen Sean Bean in, he's lived to the end. What'd I miss?

I don't think the cliffhanger character is dead, personally. Too many have been resurrected.

I do, however, offer to aid Guin, should the abduction and subsequent enslavement of GRRM to his computer until Book Six is completed, ever become imminent.

And I hear that Book Six isn't going to have many answers anyway, as it's to be told from the perspectives of Sansa and Arya Starke. Waaaah.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post

Lord of the Rings, apparently. Sean Bean played Boromir, who died in the first film.
    Jer 29: 11-13

The surviving Starks all went to hell after their direwolves scattered/died. I want more wolf action.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I am hoping Jon is a warg, so not dead. Unless you are speakinf of the Martell. Sigh, GRRM I hate and love him all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post

:
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...46159391_n.jpg

And I hear that Book Six isn't going to have many answers anyway, as it's to be told from the perspectives of Sansa and Arya Starke. Waaaah. :cry
    Seriously, Sansa Is the most useless character in all 7 Kingdoms and all the other realms across the sea, how does she keep on being a main character?