The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hey I just wanted to start a new topic for this (it was mentioned in the "Paige Johnson" thread). Why was Jimmy Torano suspended??

Hey I just wanted to start a new topic for this (it was mentioned in the "Paige Johnson" thread). Why was Jimmy Torano suspended??

I believe it was detailed in this month's AHSA magazine. I think it was drugs in 1999 with a jumper, Lancier 4? 10/01/01-11/31/01 I believe. I have thrown my issue away so I can not confirm.

From the AHSA ruling in the Spring of 2001:

JIMMY TORANO, as trainer, and MEGAN MORAN, as owner, violated Rule IV of this association, in that on or about March 12, 1999, at the Palm Beach Finale Horse Show, they exhibited the horse STATE FAIR in Class 2102/2103 (First Year Green Working Hunter), after it had been administered and/or contained in its body reserpine.

Sorry, Glimmer but that is not why Jimmy is on vacation until the end of November.

Cocaine found in one of his jumpers last year at the Cosequin USGPL Finals.

Yes it is in this months Equestrian mag.

I have heard that it tested for less than the Gonda case the other year and less than a bank teller could be charged for.

I may not always win, but I will always try to win.
    I may not always win, but I will always try to win.

My trainer pointed this out to me today Lancier 4 was found to have traces of Cocaine in his body at the time of the 1999 USGPL Cosequin Finals at Culpeper when competing in the GP. We could not recall if he had won that year or not however it states that Jimmy Torano is receiving a $3500 fine and suspension from October 1 to November 30. Sir Ruly Inc. the owner of the horse must return all trophies and prize money won by the horse to the horseshow.

R&R
    "Dmklinger: LOL - sorry - wouldn't know a backstreet boy if one came up and bit me!!"
    Now if that isn't a classic!
    E
    Well, I made it back

...the horses were actucally given cocaine, or that the grooms/barn help were smoking/snorting it around the horses, and traces got into their system?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sbt78lw:
    ...the horses were actucally given cocaine, or that the grooms/barn help were smoking/snorting it around the horses, and traces got into their system?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that an actual question or sarcasm? praying for the latter here lol

I'm not certain why this specific case is meriting such discussion on so many boards. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find people that have never been suspended at one point or another, either through ill intent or just simply through accident or negligence. However, I think we could use this discussion to look at the way in which cases like these are treated. Otherwise, it simply turns into a slamming fest against one particular rider without a clear understanding of the facts. I know a number of these cases have had a great deal of publicity, as regards the cocaine issue. It seems to me that the guidelines for that issue need to be re-examined, they don't appear to be useful in distinguishing the truth of the matter. The limits are, from what I have read, and from what I can determine, slightly ridiculous when in relation to a horse. I realize the outrage that comes in reaction to the thought of cocaine being administered to animals, but could we look at this in a light that is fairer to the people involved? Wouldn't you want to be given the same courtesy?

Excellent post, CBoylen. My sentiments exactly.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

HUH? Talk about bending an issue to suit the moment!

Actually, C. Boylen, I can name far more people that I know who have NOT been suspended, or caught with forbidden substances in their horse's bloodstreams.

Maybe those in the small circle of "top" competitors (who would attract attention by being caught doing) are just disproportionately represented among those tested, or perhaps a large number of top competitors have embraced forbidden substances as a legitimate training tool.

Even if your contention that most people have been in trouble with this rule is true, since you seem to know more that have than haven't, (a contention that I can't agree with), since when is it acceptable logic that because "everybody" seems to be doing it, that something is not so bad?

Yikes. Flame suit fully zipped. Have at it!

A premise of handing down suspensions is that those suspended end up suffering the "stigma" of public notice and punishment---ie it is BAD to be suspended....

Thus, it is a scenario that most whom I know take great pains to AVOID. To some, this means, simply, "don't get CAUGHT." To others, it means "don't BREAK THE RULES." The notion that most of these folks have ended up on the suspended list completely innocently is one that would totally send many A-show grooms in my acquaintence into convulsions of laughter...they know better! And so do those who have been caught.

The wierd thing is that suspension, fines, etc seem to have become simply a routine inconvenience-- no big deal (unless the suspension happens to coincide with important competitions, in which case this is absolutely bewailed by the "wronged" party and associates) and life goes on as per normal. Give me a break! The attitude that we'd be "hard pressed to think of someone who HASN'T been suspended....." proves this point!

In my agreeing with her- I took that post as... there are quite a handful of people that get this kind of suspension/fine/whatever. As much as we would like to think that not many people do it.. they do. The point is, why come on this board and single him out? Its not like hes some ungodly heathen in a world full of perfection. All of a sudden 659 threads ahve been started about how Jimmy Torano got suspended. Well what about all the other people? Why just talk about him? That was the point I was agreeing with.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

In no way is Jimmy being singled out.

Look at all the past posts on other suspended, fined individuals. His just happens to be the most recent and looks like many got the Equestrian mag a few days ago.

Just because lot's of people do it, doesn't make it right or acceptable at all. And I think that anyone who deliberately puts harmful drugs into an innocent animal's system deserves to be publicly singled out and embarassed.

Not that I'm saying this is what Jimmy Torano did... as I was not there in person and that is the only way it can be known for sure. I'm just stating my opinion about using drugs on horses!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

So, here is my question: if people get nailed for having horses that have cocaine in their systems, why don't the other authorities also nail them for possession? I guess they have to catch you with it on you?

I think it is interesting how if you were caught using, distributing or having cocaine outside the horse world, you'd be in really big trouble. Yet the fine in the horse world is a few months suspension, a $50 fine (I think) and return your wins.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

What does cocaine do to a horse?

Ryan
    "Here's to goodbye, tomorrow's gonna come to soon."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>since when is it acceptable logic that because "everybody" seems to be doing it, that something is not so bad?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see how you interpreted my post to be condoning illegal drug use. To restate my opinion, yes, use of illegal substances or use of legal substances above the legal limit in horses is bad. No, people who perform above activities should not go away unpunished. However,there seems to be indication that the system does not always work. And as to Jimmy, my problem is the big fuss. He's one rider of many. One trainer of many. It's not just the known trainers, and it's certainly not just the people that you read about in your Equestrian magazine. Debate the issue, don't focus on one particular person. This case is the result of some cause, not the driving force behind all illegal activity in the show world.I don't take any offense to your opinions, but please take mine in the manner in which they were intended.

I guess it is OK to give reserpine derrivatives IF you don't "know" they are in the supplement but you cannot under any circumstances have any TRACE of stimulant in the system or you get a huge fine and a long "vacation". The whole thing kinda makes me gag. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You'd be pretty hard pressed to find people that have never been suspended at one point or another, either through ill intent or just simply through accident or negligence. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If one assumes that this statement is in fact true, it certainly is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the horse industry, is it??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

UCLA football RULES.... Undefeated and #6 in the nation, baby!!
    "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*