The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default I don't want to teach: Long Update, pg 4... I'm not teaching anymore.

I have been teaching for 7 years and love it. This year, though, I'm done. I don't get to actually teach the way I want to anymore and with real effort--instead, all my time and energy get suctioned into stupid bureaucracy and CYA stuff. The last straw is that NY has now decreed that not only are teachers not to be trusted grading our own exams, but we also can't be trusted to proctor our own exams OR CREATE THEM. I cannot write my own final exam anymore. So instead of doing the end of year portfolio assessment for my seniors that measures how college- and career-ready they are, I have to give them a test that somebody else (in a different district) wrote for them. Someone is going to write tests for theatre and music and art, which is going to be great, because clearly multiple-choice and essay questions are the best way to assess whether a kid has learned choral singing or how to draw. And *my* grade as a teacher depends on their success on these exams that someone else writes, administers, and scores.

Is there anyplace left out there that just lets teachers teach? I'll move there... Or what the heck else can I do with degrees in English education and poetry?
    Last edited by SarahandSam; Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Go to South Africa :-D. OMG I sound like a broken mantra, but oh well, if you (collective you) don't want to read it, skip it.

Seriously, ok. Maybe not South Africa (or if you need inspiration go volunteer for a few weeks? Or South America?), but start looking into places that don't have such severe restrictions. I have a friend who got so frustrated with the Scottish school system that she now teaches at a British School in France. There are plenty of American schools all over the world (my French kids go to one here in France) which are not restricted by a public school like system.

There are plenty of places where good, creative teachers are needed, you just have to be creative, adventurous, and find them!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Overseas would be awesome... but I'd have to transport two dogs, three cats and a pony, so that might be ruled out. ): But man, I'd love that...

Would private schools have the same restrictions? I'm not sure, but maybe something to look into.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Private school?? I was looking at the National Assoc of Independent Schools website a while back and there were some awesome opportunities out west I definitely would have gone for had I had the necessary experience.

I know teachers who worked at the private school I went to because they got so tired of the public school restrictions!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Yeah, try for a private school. Do your research first though ... some of them are just as ridiculous as public schools.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

For all the time and money you put into your career, all the unrewarded effort and worry, to be treated like crap, blamed for everything from "unhappy" students and parents, poor student attendance, as well as the present economic condition of the country....it isn't worth it.

I laugh every time I see the smoltzy oil companies "We do so love our teachers" TV commercials, knowing full well their money was used to blame the teachers for the downfall of the US economy. It makes me, as one illustrious candidates once said, "want to throw up".

and the Kardashians are making millions being fools...

I walked away to more money, appreciation and less stress.

Look for a private school in NY or a charter school in another state. NY and NCLB sure make it hard to actually teach. Might as well have robots recite the lectures.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

you are in NY? I thought you were in Cali....silly me....

Not sure if any place else is better.
    But I am pretty sure that places like Germany thy would go 'OOOOOHHHHH our new teacher is AMERICAN!!!'
    Plus the riding is great! Shipping the pony might be expensive, but cats and dogs is affordable.

However, you have a degree, branch out.

I don't think the current school model works. The kids don't want to be there, the parents loathe the responsibilities and the teachers have their hands tied behind their backs and blind folds thrust upon them. All the while people with no educational background make the rules. And cut the budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yeah, Alagirl. That's about the way it is.

With all the test mania and everybody "fixing" public education, it has become so difficult to actually educate. Interesting how everyone is eager to compare test scores while few want to examine if the standardized tests really measure anything useful.

Don't bother coming across the border. Connecticut is just as crazy. Teaching was a second career but I am about done. Two years and I can retire. Not comfortably, but I need to get out.

I suspect some states are more difficult than others, but the federal mandates and need for CYA probably are increasing issues everywhere. I suspect private schools are very different from each other - some are likely supportive while others are more about parent appeasement and keeping tuition checks coming in.

I used to love teaching...

I second finding a private school or charter school. It's ridiculous how restricted public school teachers are from actually teaching. I was just discussing this with my neighbor today since both she and her husband are teachers. They're both fed up with the system.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Finland.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Overseas would be awesome... but I'd have to transport two dogs, three cats and a pony, so that might be ruled out. ): But man, I'd love that...
    Saudi Aramco has been on a hiring spree for teachers on their employee compounds. I grew up over there, and although much has changed, the compounds are (or were) little western utopias. Dogs and cats can be brought in and taken out of the country, but I wouldn't recommend it with a pony (piroplasmosis risk). Teachers over there have it made. Kid acts up? It goes on dad's employment record; his supervisor will inform him to get Junior under control or else. Need supplies, new texts, or a class set of whatever? Ask and you shall receive. It's probably not the first country that comes to mind when considering a potential international move, but if you're adventurous...
    Jer 29: 11-13

All recommendations for private schools. Let's just forget the poor kids. It kinda bothers me.

I hadn't really thought of Saudi Arabia, but that would be interesting! Can't bear to leave the pony behind though...

Finland would be ideal. Or other Scandinavian countries... I hear they actually like education there...

I should look at some of the private schools... sadly, I'm actually at a charter school, and it's not an improvement over public as far as the stress for teachers. Charters have, if possible, even more restrictions as far as assessments and oversight go--if we don't meet AYP and surpass all our local public schools in graduation and Regents scores, we will close down, and since we don't have a union I can be fired at any time. Another reason for my total frazzled-ness lately, as I have seniors that all need to graduate despite their best efforts, and am responsible for Regents scores for my whole department as I'm English department head. We're in the inner-city, with poverty rates and special ed/ESL percentages comparable to the poorest city schools, but we're supposed to be performing on par with suburban districts and charters. The sheer ridiculousness of educational bureaucracy in this country right now blows my mind. I can deal with the pressure in my school if it weren't for all the pressure coming down on me from people I've never met.

It really does suck because I love teaching, love my students (slackers though they may be), and love that my job (in theory) lets me use my creativity and energy. And then I see all the creativity and energy and forward movement sucked out of it, and it becomes just a job. And I always have that horrible sick feeling like I'm about to get yelled at for sucking in some previously undefined way. I think about other careers, but I really can't think of anything else that would be rewarding and still pay me in the same general range--which isn't all that high, but at least it's enough to scrape by and pay my loans.

Yeah, go to Finland! They have some really hot guys there I have been told!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

If you can go back and get your PhD, particularly if you switch to writing, composition, tech com, rhetoric, etc., you can teach what you want. I LOVE what I get to do. It was a long road, but I have the best job ever.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Washington is not that restrictive...come on over! We have a state-mandated test (the MSP) given grades 3-10, but that's it. Granted, different districts have different requirements, but I can speak to my county--I use the Common Core Standards to design my curriculum to meet the targets. I create my common assessments (finals) based on the CCS targets. Pick the right district, and it will feel like a small, charming private school. Vancouver, WA has a couple of schools that are, shall we say, high end? God, I'd love to teach in Mercer Island, WA...fabulous, rich, etc.

But...after 19 years in my own district, I'm still not ready to leave.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

i can sympathize, for sure. standardized testing is such a load of crap, esp when it's being applied to inner city, poverty-stricken, sp/ed, ELL students. i'd say to find a charter that you mesh with. sounds like yours sucks! i'm with an amazing charter organization that i adore. it's not perfect, BUT they definitely understand that we are dealing with students who are not the "average" student and that while we need to set the bar high, we have to be reasonable too. if i hadn't found this job, i probably would have left teaching, too-the public schools are just the worst!
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

It's getting worse. I refuse to give up. I am seriously thinking of starting a national movement. I just threw the first bomb in the war on teacher's rights and respect in my district and filed a complaint about lack of basic rights as well as due process. I think this is really something we should think about doing because it seems to be all over and getting worse.

My understanding of private schools is the pressure to inflate grades is much worse, as they are actually paying for their grades/education.