The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clean Horse Racing program?

It looks like this is a new program adopted by the Jockey Club per their e-mail to me a few minutes ago. I thought some of you guys might want to check it out as well.

"Clean Horse Racing is a national movement of veterinarians, breeders, trainers, owners, bettors, and fans who oppose drugs in racing and favor fair and safer competition.

Dear Owner and/or Breeder,

The Jockey Club and the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association (TOBA) have launched an advocacy website, cleanhorseracing.org, to provide a platform for those supporting reform of racing's drug rules. At cleanhorseracing.org, people can receive the latest news, hear what others have to say and take action by contacting racing regulators. You can take action now.

The New York State Racing and Wagering Board have asked for input from the industry to assist in their consideration of changes to the rules regulating the use of furosemide (Salix® or Lasix®).

Please click on the link below and you will have an opportunity to let your voice be heard as New York considers possible changes to their rules.

http://www.cleanhorseracing.org/defa...=common&sub=NY

Please add cleanhorseracing.org to your favorites list in your web browser and check back often to receive the latest updates.

We must attract new customers to reverse recent trends and grow Thoroughbred racing. In survey after survey, racing's current drug rules are most often cited as the major barrier for achieving growth.

We urge you to take action today and let's grow Thoroughbred racing in North America.

Thank you,

Clean Horse Racing

A copy of the request for comment from the New York State Racing and Wagering Board can be found here:

http://www.racing.state.ny.us/pdf/04...PriceLasix.pdf

Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cleanhorseraces

Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CleanHorseRacing

Visit our YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/cleanhorseracing"
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I signed it. I got the email today, too. I have long been a supporter of the "no drugs" movement. I feel the use of drugs on race day is allowing horses who otherwise would not be able to compete at the same level to do well at the track and encourages, in the long term, breeding lower level horses and weakening the TB overall as a breed.
    IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAIN IS NOT WORTH PROTECTING WITH A HELMET, YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT!

Damrock Farm

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post

Please click on the link below and you will have an opportunity to let your voice be heard as New York considers possible changes to their rules.

http://www.cleanhorseracing.org/defa...=common&sub=NY

done

I haven't sent mine in yet but I love that they are reaching out and asking for input from everyone. I support Lasix/Salix on race day, however I do not support any other drugs on race day.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    I haven't sent mine in yet but I love that they are reaching out and asking for input from everyone. I support Lasix/Salix on race day, however I do not support any other drugs on race day.
    Me too. Until lasix is out of the discussion I am not for the anti drug movement.

I did not have any problems racing without it in Ont or NY. You just have to make sure your horses are super fit. That means more than a mile gallop. I bought many a "bleeder" who ceased to bleed once fit enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Damrock Farm View Post
    I signed it. I got the email today, too. I have long been a supporter of the "no drugs" movement. I feel the use of drugs on race day is allowing horses who otherwise would not be able to compete at the same level to do well at the track and encourages, in the long term, breeding lower level horses and weakening the TB overall as a breed.
    This . . . and I have also heard other trainers say this:

Quote Originally Posted by lifesabreeze View Post
    I did not have any problems racing without it in Ont or NY. You just have to make sure your horses are super fit. That means more than a mile gallop. I bought many a "bleeder" who ceased to bleed once fit enough.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I fear the law of unintended consequences may result from something like this. I am on the fence about lasix... as one of the jockey commentators last weekend said "never had one snap a leg from lasix, there are others alot closer to the top of the list". Some truth to that.

Instead of giving all the press to lasix, how about the pain killers to keep them running? How about the snake venom and other crap dragged out to beat the testing? How about assorted little backside secret concoctions?

Better yet, how about working to establish a uniform code and ENFORCING it in any and all jurisdictions???? So you don't get somebody with 64 violations in 13 states appealing license suspension in some, but still legal to race in others.

Make what's on the books NOW enforceable with automatic, consistent penalities regardless of "wrong bucket, new groom" excuses. I say suspend the horse too...no they didn't go buy it on the corner but their owner(s) need to be held accountable for their horse coming up positive I don't think you necessarily need "new" here, you need teeth in what you already have.

So I won't sign this one but would gladly sign one in support of equal enforcement of what we got now instead of a hodgepodge of states/provinces.

We have the same issues in the show ring, real long list of forbidden substances, real inconsistent enforcement of positives.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.