The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migraines just stink

What does everyone take for their migraines? I woke up this morning with one at 6:30am. I can't lay down when I have a headache because it makes it worse. So I have to get up. I can't take anything for the headache until I eat because it will upset my stomach, and 6:30 is kind of early, but the headache is starting to win. It is definitely a migraine. So I make some eggs and sausage. I take an imitrex for it and the headache goes away.

It is now 4:15pm and that imitrex is still kicking my butt. It makes me so groggy for the entire day. I just can't get going. It makes my skin hurt everywhere, and almost makes me feel like I am having a hard time talking. I also get hot and sweaty from it. I took a nap but it just doesn't seem to help. The doctor says that is a side effect of the pill. It makes my migraine go away and that makes me happy.

This migraine was most likely from sinus congestion. I took a sinus pill but that alone will not work. Motrin or anything OTC does not help.

Imitrex will give you a migraine hangover, for sure!! And I thought I was the only one who got the "skin hurt" as a side effect.

I woke up with one this morning too. I thought I caught it in time with 400 mg of Aleve but by the time I got to work, it was full-fledged and I ended up taking my imitrex. I take the generic version and it works just as well as the name brand.

My empathy.... migraines SUCK OUT LOUD!!

Get better!
    Alis volat propriis.

Good to know bluemoon that I am not the only one! People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them my skin hurts. I do use the generic brand, much cheaper. I just didn't know the name of it.

Ah migraine... I have chronic migraine, which I takes pill every night to hopefully prevent it from happening, and I take Tyleno and Maxalt (both are prescriptions)for the pain at the first onset of symptom. They (Tylenol and Maxalt) complete flatten me. There was time when I literally locked myself in a dark room in bed for more than a solid week. One time it lasted about two weeks. All I wished during that time was to chop my head off. sigh.

I also take topimax on a daily basis. It has helped with the small everyday headaches, but I still get a migraine atleast 2x a week.

My mom also gets migraines, and back in the day before the migraine medicines were out I remember she use to do the same thing and lock herself in a dark room for days. I use to feel so bad for her. She use to make trips to the ER for a shot of pain medicine which would not help much. Pain meds only make me care less about my migraine, they don't actually help it at all.

Google Co-enzyme Q10 and migraines, there have been studies showing it to relieve migraines for something like 70% of the population. My 12 year old had many migraines, saw a pediatric neurologist, who put him on 300 mg. of co-Q10 each day. Literally within 3 days the migraines have gone, never (knock wood) to return.

SMF how long has your 12 yr old been on it?

He's been on it a year and a bit. If he misses a few days he starts to get headaches again.

I got mine from my mom too. I don't know how people in the past coped with it. It's horrible. At least when I get migraine now, I can take my pills and I am asleep within thirty minutes. And then I wake up, I take another pill, and I fell back to sleep. My pain med does not help with the pain: they just help me endure it better, by knocking me out dead.

I've tried so many migraine Meds over the years and no matter which ones I've tried, I end up in bed, trying to sleep and pretty much unable to function. So, all I take now is extra strength Advil gel caps. Cheaper and gives me about the same level of relief.
    What I've been finding lately is how susceptible I am to barometric pressure changes lately. Windy = headache.

I'm not familiar with Co-enzyme Q10. Is it some kind of supplement you can buy over the counter? Or does it require dr. prescription?

What worked for me, and I found it totally by accident is a prescription antihistamine called Atarax (generic name hydroxizine hydrochloride). Take 2 25 mg tablets, take a 3 hr nap, and headache gone (or at least bearable). I discovered this totally by accident when my dermatologist gave me the atarax for hives that were stressed induced. had hives and migraine at same time one day, took pills, migraine gone. Light bulb moment!!!

also, going to the chiropractor has helped immensely with the frequency of my migraines. Now I get them rarely, and usually only if I haven't been adjusted for a couple of months. Then atarax still works.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Oo timely post. I've literally started getting them (well, diagnosed by my family medicine doctor mom over the phone) this week. She thinks they are migraines, but apparently its strange i've been getting so many. This week its been approx 1-2 a day. Was at its worst yesterday evening, when I was also trying to deal with 3 screaming children. Not a good situation.

She told me for now take 2 ibuprofens when you get one as long as they're not within 4 hours of each other (which they haven't been, i.e don't exceed the allowed dosage). I hate hate hate taking pain meds, but the pills do help a lot. If they continue to be this consistent over here I will obviously go to a doctor; but if they continue to die down, which they have done over the last few days, I'll leave it until I can either see my GP in the UK (my aunts clinic) or someone in the US.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If I take ibuprofens it is 4 at a time (800mg). But I would stick to what your dr recommends. Please don't listen to me. To me taking 2 ibuprofens is like eating skittles.

The stories of immitrex side effects are making me worried! I just got a prescription for sumatriptan, which is the generic for it and haven't had a migraine yet. Excedrine migraine wasn't working as well for me the last two migraines so I was hoping the prescription will help. I really don't want my skin to hurt!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I take an old school tricyclic antidepressant for migraine prevention. Was on Topamax for a year or two. Now on diamox. When I get a migraine mine are usually due to CSF pressure so nothing but rest (and diamox) will help it go away over 3 days time.

I miss the days when Excedrin Migraine and a 16 ounce Red Bull used to work. I have Imitrex, but it's useless for my migraines.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Oo timely post. I've literally started getting them (well, diagnosed by my family medicine doctor mom over the phone) this week. She thinks they are migraines, but apparently its strange i've been getting so many. This week its been approx 1-2 a day. Was at its worst yesterday evening, when I was also trying to deal with 3 screaming children. Not a good situation.

She told me for now take 2 ibuprofens when you get one as long as they're not within 4 hours of each other (which they haven't been, i.e don't exceed the allowed dosage). I hate hate hate taking pain meds, but the pills do help a lot. If they continue to be this consistent over here I will obviously go to a doctor; but if they continue to die down, which they have done over the last few days, I'll leave it until I can either see my GP in the UK (my aunts clinic) or someone in the US.
    Not trying to minimize your pain but consider yourself very fortunate if 2 advil do the job. I have had to resort to the ER for IV morphine before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    I'm not familiar with Co-enzyme Q10. Is it some kind of supplement you can buy over the counter? Or does it require dr. prescription?
    Co-enzyme Q10 is a fairly recently-discovered vitamin. It is in every cell in our bodies; they don't seem to know how we get it (in food? from our bodies?) so I haven't been able to figure out how my son has abnormally low levels. Besides migraines, it is used with cardiac conditions too. There are probably other diseases/issues out there that respond to co-Q10, I'm not familiar with everything about it.

Not every doctor knows that you can do a blood test to see if your levels are too low. However, the ped. neurologist told me I could put my older son on it safely without the doctor seeing him, let alone testing him. The doctor said it would help with energy levels too.

You can buy it over the counter at any drugstore. It is a little pricey ($50/bottle, but that lasts more than a month)

There is a treatment protocol out there (can't remember where I found it) that includes:

CoQ10
    Vit. B2
    Low dose Magnesium
    Butterbur

Feverfew is sometimes listed too

All are available over the counter. A new study on the efficacy of Butterbur was just published and found to be effective. The neurologist I was talking to about this (at work, not my neurologist) recommended tht his patients take the brand of Butterbur used in the study, as herbal suppliments aren't tested for content or consistency. Here is the new AAN (American Academy of Neurology) guidelines that shows what has been found to be effective: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762553 You may have to sign up to read it. Do keep in mind that they really don't know what exactly causes migraines, so it is possible that different people have diffferent causes and will find different treatments to be effective. Gabapentin (yeah, the stuff in Carolina Gold) is the new med on the scene, and a new study out in the last couple of months showed it to be effective. It has possible side effects though.

I have been using the CoQ10, Vit B2 and Mag for the last 10 years or so, and have many fewer migraines (75%?), even after going off the prophalactic verapamil that I had taken for 20 years. It might also be because I'm in my mid-50's and my hormones are changing, though I still get menstrual migraines, so maybe not. If I skip taking the magnesium for a couple days, I will definitely get a cluster of migraines. I take sumatriptin (generic Imitrex) when I do get one, and it makes my arms feel heavy and kind of tingley.

Good Luck! I hope everyone finds something that works for them!

Ugh I have chronic migraines as well. Mine have evolved over time, its really crazy, whenever get them now I have numbness/tingling on one side of my body, and once a few months ago had some temp facial paralysis. Granted my migraines are well controlled these days by controlling my stress levels, I was never successful to find a medication that actually worked in getting rid of my migraine. Imitrex never worked for me. I did do a study at work(Mayo Clinic) on chronic migraines, I never did see if they came up with results, but it might be a while before they are published.