The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What about the Catholic church investigating Girl Scouts?

What are you feelings on this? I was a Girl Scout back in the dark ages.

If they spent as much time cleaning out their own closet as they do in meddling in everyone else's affairs, someone might actually listen to them. They are irrelevant, out of date, corrupt to the core, and struggling to regain the influence they once had over a wide audience. They are also trying to rein in a worldwide group whose influence now rivals their own. I think their treatment of the American nuns has been hideous.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

13 members found this post helpful.

Chief, I couldn't say it better myself. <sound of hands clapping>
    Last edited by LauraKY; May. 11, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Around here, they've got a few more problems, including numerous church and school closings to pay for pedophilia lawsuits and one notorious pedophilia/murder lawsuit (priest murdered a 14 year old boy who knew too much--convicted but never went to jail, just sits in a rocking chair each noontime on his sister's porch, watching the children play in the next door school yard ), having their right-wing fund raising arm audited for financial and moral irregularities (Catholic priest founder with kids in Mexico, etc, and locally the group pressured an old man to sign over his house to them after he had run out of money to donate, who then became homeless), and figuring out a way to retire the nuns they never paid two nickels to to begin with. For a while, the radio stations had ads on asking for donations to retire these poor women into nursing homes. Now they have small nursing homes built, advertise them as not for profits that are open to the public for medicare/medicaid placings, but then only accept well-heeled patients (whales) who bring enough money to the table with them to keep the places up and running, while the real medicare/medicaid cases are shut out of the doors. Speaking of morally reprehensible...and people want this involved with the Girl Scouts?? Eewww.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

4 members found this post helpful.

What Chief said.

My momma once said "If everyone else says you're wrong....you probably are"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Catholic Church = The Original NAMBLA

There's a t-shirt that says that. Really.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    If they spent as much time cleaning out their own closet as they do in meddling in everyone else's affairs, someone might actually listen to them. They are irrelevant, out of date, corrupt to the core, and struggling to regain the influence they once had over a wide audience. They are also trying to rein in a worldwide group whose influence now rivals their own. I think their treatment of the American nuns has been hideous.
    Dreaming in Color

What are they investigating them for?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I do believe there's something in the Bible about removing the plank from one's own eye before complaining about the splinter in someone else's ... but my fundie days are long gone.

It's a shame they can't use these resources to ferret out pedophile priests and pay for therapy and treatment for victims of child sexual abuse. But these are men of God, after all ...
    Full-time bargain hunter.

F#@&K them. Here's a link:
    http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...oblematic-ties

Last time I checked, the girl scouts were not a religious organization. The catholic church has enough problems of its own without going after anyone else. Particularly the girl scouts, whose inclusive awesomeness I will continue to support by buying too many boxes of addictive thin mints.

Here's hoping that supporters of girl scouts decide not to care what the catholic church thinks.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    What are they investigating them for?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1507133.html
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

where is the 'head/desk' icon when you need it.

Old dirty men attacking the girl scouts.

GASPETH, the mission statement of the scouts - girl or boy - do include personal growth. Knowing your town town land is part of that!

At least the Boy Scouts remain homophobic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Oh, how about that. Just when I thought they couldn't become even more hypocritical asshats, they did. Go Girl Scouts!
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

7 members found this post helpful.

The article cites the Catholic Conference's concern over the Girl Scouts having 'problematic ties' to organizations they don 't like??? This is the kind of hypocritical nonsense that has driven so many people away. How dare they sit in judgement of the Girl Scouts when their own organization has yet to clean up the horrific damage done to innocents by so many pedophile Priests. It's disgraceful.

9 members found this post helpful.

How did this get bumped up again?
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    What Chief said.

My momma once said "If everyone else says you're wrong....you probably are"
    I'll remember this the next time a I read a history of anti-Semitism.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I don't want to get into the church investigating the Girl Scouts aspect of it. I was a Girl Scout back in the day, and we basically just did crafts and had fun and sold cookies. But I looked at some of those pamphlets that they are supposedly handing out from Planned Parenthood and I gotta say, it's a bit much for the age of girls I usually think of being in the scouts. To me, it was more high school level material, and even then a bit odd. Like they described and recommended various things you can do besides vaginal intercourse. I think that sort of thing is odd and out of place there.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I don't want to get into the church investigating the Girl Scouts aspect of it. I was a Girl Scout back in the day, and we basically just did crafts and had fun and sold cookies. But I looked at some of those pamphlets that they are supposedly handing out from Planned Parenthood and I gotta say, it's a bit much for the age of girls I usually think of being in the scouts. To me, it was more high school level material, and even then a bit odd. Like they described and recommended various things you can do besides vaginal intercourse. I think that sort of thing is odd and out of place there.
    Well, since this is 2 yeas old:
    The Girls Scouts of the USA do not affiliate with Planned Parenthood or any other 'political' organization.

However, they are member of the World Organisation of the Scout Movement though ( https://www.facebook.com/WOSM.OMMS?ref=br_tf ) as most countries do not split girls and boys up in this.
    And operating in many of the other nations, female health is a hugely important thing for young women!

Interesting thing though, last cookie season (February and March for us) some 'adult' deemed it necessary to give a reason for her not to buy cookies to elementary school age girls! I mean, seriously?! I as a troop leader have to send a form home for the parents to sign when we discuss 'sensitive' topics.

oh, and one told one of my older kids. Possibly the same person, but still.
    just say 'no thank you' complain to the adults or the leadership that gets the paycheck! Leave the kids out of it!
    (of course, it was my most quiet kid they talked to, and she did not tell me until the meeting a day or two later...prompting an impromptu talk about this...)

As a matter of fact, a few of my girls fit in the socio economic realm that could very well benefit from PP...I don't think we have one near by though...Save a Life, yes, they have a shop in town....
    GNU Terry Prachett

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old thread. I'm not arguing for/against Planned Parenthood. Just at the time I saw the pamphlet that was going around and was really put off by it. Sexual health education, sure, but that thing went too far for the age of girls, in my opinion.

That was pretty rude of that person to lay it on the girl selling the cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was an old thread. I'm not arguing for/against Planned Parenthood. Just at the time I saw the pamphlet that was going around and was really put off by it. Sexual health education, sure, but that thing went too far for the age of girls, in my opinion.

That was pretty rude of that person to lay it on the girl selling the cookies.
    it's cool.
    The people who are vocal about the assumed connection are uneducated, shall we say. And set in their ways.

It's a bit of a high wire act, because I know that some of the kids will not get 'The Talk' from their parents, and while I have been told they did cover it in school, I am not sure how complete the information was. We are in the Bible Belt!
    GNU Terry Prachett