The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    And he made us play a Sousa march every. single. concert. They're all the same effing song just set in different keys! Even SOUSA hated Sousa!
    ROFL! Oh the memories... We used to switch instruments around in the brass section during Sousa marches just to keep it interesting.

Actually at the elementary school my son started at - they began serious instrument selection in 2nd grade, as the HS had an award winning band. They actually looked at the children's facial, arm, and body configuration, and because my son had a receding chin, decided he was perfect for the flute, other than the drums he yearned for. He did not want to play the flute - but they required that he play what they chose. The poor kid did a great job and became pretty good at it, and I tried to play the supportive role, even playing some Jethro Tull for him to show how cool a flute could be.

When we moved from that school district, he actually played a couple more years, and was well respected, but once he hit junior high, he no longer wanted to see a flute. He picked up the drums at this little school, and did a good job, despite this part-time band instructor's constant harping on him and here again, not communicating their erratic lesson schedule. The band director's favorites would get called over the PA if they forgot to show up, but not everyone, so he was dinged for participation. Imagine one day coming home and whining that he was more concerned about his math review class rather than the lesson shoved into the middle of the schedule, and his getting a note home because of it.

However, when it came to public performances, parades, competition, etc. he was the one setting the beat with the bass drum.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Any particular kind?? A nice brie maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    man.
    If i only could have cheese with it...

ROFLMAO - love the description incredibly appropriate!!

I wish it was as mature as middle school....

So it had really no impact on my kid who is suffering from hormone induced rectal cranial inversion.....

Default It's not too late...

You could look up the deceased's obit and still send the family a card with a nice note or contribute to any charity they mentioned. You could even apologize for not doing anything sooner but that you hadn't gotten the news until recently. I think the family would appreciate the gesture no matter how far after the death you make it. Nothing about band booster politics that would keep you from doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Any particular kind?? A nice brie maybe???
    hmmmm
    pretty much any kind except blue cheese.

We have an excellent band. The kids got to play for the Alabama educator's conference back in February. They were phenomenal! The group is small so some kids are asked to switch from a more popular instrument to one that is needed to round out the sound (next year one of the trumpet kids will learn tuba...too bad he is about as tall (or short) as one and weighs about as much

Luckily the director and the music is not the problem!
    Last edited by Alagirl; May. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: shpellun
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    You could look up the deceased's obit and still send the family a card with a nice note or contribute to any charity they mentioned. You could even apologize for not doing anything sooner but that you hadn't gotten the news until recently. I think the family would appreciate the gesture no matter how far after the death you make it. Nothing about band booster politics that would keep you from doing that.

I will see how things turn out. We have a band outing Thursday, the last one of the year before we pack it in for the summer in a couple more weeks.

Hey, at last I could get done what the club is supposed to do:
    make money for the band.

But I would have to take Little napoleon for a ride in the country and hope he does not find his way back....short of being carried out feet first, he won't leave the position!
    They don't hold elections every year? Our band boosters did.

It's been 11 years since my son graduated from high school and I still get chills every fall when I drive past one of the local high schools and hear the marching band practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    They don't hold elections every year? Our band boosters did.

It's been 11 years since my son graduated from high school and I still get chills every fall when I drive past one of the local high schools and hear the marching band practicing.

Ohn gawd, the elections...

yeah, it was a joke...not sure how they actually accomplished that: they presented a list (prezzy did) and it was an all or nothing proposition.

I got my mind to ask him for a print out of the bylaws!

Wow, there was no obituary for this person in your local paper?

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    Band director was kind of creepy, sexist, practically bipolar. I saw him throw chairs at kids, and he always tried to force all the flute boys and trumpet girls to switch to different instruments.
    And ew.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Wow, there was no obituary for this person in your local paper?
    yes there was, but the picture they had put in there would have not rung a bell, nor her name. We had not been formally introduced. Or at all for that matter.