The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Previcox dosage

I have read some of the older threads about Previcox, but none really answered my questions. So I decided to make a new thread.

I have a 14yr OTTB that about two weeks ago, started head bobbing at the trot, and at first I thought she was just stiff, and just need to warm up. Because she usually works out of it. Well she didn’t. So I decided to give her a few days off to see if it would go away. It didn't so I called the vet. He does a flex test on the RH she's a +3, and on the LH +1. He also told me she has DJD of the hock. Which is odd since the last time my horse went lame like this he said it was mild arthritis, and gave me a weeks worth of Pervicox.

So he gives my horse Previcox again. She has the 227mg tablets, and is to take one full tablet everyday for two weeks, and then ½ a tablet for two weeks again. And then for the rest of the tablets I can use as needed.

I started doing some research about Previcox, because I found it really odd that a dog pill could do so well for my horse. I read somewhere that the dog pill actually has more of an active ingredient than the horse version of it?

So now I’m wondering if I’m giving my horse way to much? Since I’m reading most people give either the small 56mg tablet or divide the large 227mg one. I haven’t read anyone yet give a their horse a full 227mg tablet every day for two weeks.

So far, I haven’t seen any side effects, my horse seems to feel much better. But now I'm kinda wondering is she's getting more medicine the she really needs?

AFAIK, the dosage for an equine is 57mg. I have the 227mg tablets and quarter them when needed. I wouldn't want to give a whole one...my vet did say I could use half of one, but I've not done that either. 57mg works just fine.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Yikes! It's also my understanding from my vet that the dose is 57 mg (or 1/4 of the tablet you are referring to) up to 1/2 of that tablet. I would dose minimally at 1/4 of the tablet, I would not give the entire tablet.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I have the 57mg for my mini and I have to 1/4 them for her. I'd be calling the vet back and confirming the dosage.

The approved dosage for firocoxib in the equine is 0.1mg/kg. For a 1250lb horse, this works out to about 56.8 mg or just over 1/4 of a 227mg tablet.

There isn't "more of a concentration in the dog pill" rather horses are much more sensitive to it than dogs so require less of a dosage per kilogram.

Some practitioners like to give a higher dose of medication for a few days when first starting (a loading dose) my usual loading dose for this drug is 57mg daily for 1 week then back off to every other day or every 36 hours for long term use.

Perhaps you should call your DVM and inquire as to his dosing. He may have a reason he wants to give this dose.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
    I have the 57mg for my mini and I have to 1/4 them for her. I'd be calling the vet back and confirming the dosage.
    Its the correct amount. He also wrote it on the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    The approved dosage for firocoxib in the equine is 0.1mg/kg. For a 1250lb horse, this works out to about 56.8 mg or just over 1/4 of a 227mg tablet.

There isn't "more of a concentration in the dog pill" rather horses are much more sensitive to it than dogs so require less of a dosage per kilogram.

Some practitioners like to give a higher dose of medication for a few days when first starting (a loading dose) my usual loading dose for this drug is 57mg daily for 1 week then back off to every other day or every 36 hours for long term use.

Perhaps you should call your DVM and inquire as to his dosing. He may have a reason he wants to give this dose.
    My horse is around I think the 900 lb range. I don't recall her exact weight. He wanted to inject her at first, but he said since she did well with Previcox before. I can try it again. I'm not sure how much better injections are. But yeah I do plan to call him this time. I was going to earlier. But some of my barn friends said I was being paranoid.

Yikes - my horse was on half a tablet for a while and that is thought of as a very high dose. He weighs 1180 pounds. My friend's mare was on half tab also for short time, but she is probably around 1300 lbs. She is huge.

The "standard" common dose is 1/4 tab (of the 227 pill) which my guy was on for a year and a half and did very well on it.

I would definitely question those high doses! I only use 1/2 tab for an acute injury because my horse cannot have bute. For long term use, 1/4 tab works just fine.

Some horses at a barn I worked at were on the 227mg tab for three days as a loading dose then 1/2 or 1/4 every day or every other day. I would ask him why he dosed your mare so high.

My vet has me give 3/4 of a 227 mg tablet the first day and then 1/4 tablet thereafter. It basically amounts to a one-day loading dose.

my arab mare is on 1/4 tablet, and my vet just put my tb on 1/2 tablet today for hind end soreness. He uses the 1/2 tab for the bigger horses and 1/4 for smaller horses.

Thank you for all the replies.

My vet is out of town until Monday. So I won't be able to ask him until then. But I'm sure there's a reason he put her on a full tablet. But I just can't see it. I know she was slightly lame, but I didn't think she was that bad.

On a side note, I still can't believe she likes the tablets. I know it has to be flavored. I just can't figure out what flavor that is.

It's flavored for dogs Seriously...maybe meat flavored? We were told to keep them away from dogs.

They are bacon flavored, so I think the horses don't mind the saltiness. My new concern is that how is it in relation to Vioxx? My horse does have slight cardiovascular issues and I am wondering if this could be something of concern... Any thoughts?

My 26 year old horse with DSLD is on 227 mg daily. He has gone from being painful, unable to walk without spraddling his hind legs, dropped weight and worried...to w/t/cantering and occasional gallop around the property, bellowing like a stallion, and eating like a trouper. He is like a new horse, in spite of his lack of muscle and other symptoms of the disease.

I would say that dosage is individual and appropriate to the condition of the horse, per the vet.

Just be aware that there could be adverse effects from a higher dose. The safety margin to adjust the dose is relatively low.

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    Just be aware that there could be adverse effects from a higher dose. The safety margin to adjust the dose is relatively low.

This. The firocoxib drug labeled for horses (Equioxx) is only approved for daily use up to 14 days and that is at a 57 mg dosage. Toxicity levels were present after 14 days in studies that Merial performed.
    http://www.equioxx.com/pdfs/eqx_past...g_info2010.pdf

Also, did your vet do any other diagnostics other than flexions? Flexions alone really are not very conclusive. I personally would question the competency of a vet that is prescribing Previcox for osteoarthritis in a 14 year old horse without other diagnostics (radiographs) and prior to trying other treatments like Adequan, Pentosan or IA injections that likely would be much better for a 14 year old horse over the long term.

At a 227 mg daily dose I would be VERY concerned about toxicity levels, especially in a 14 year old horse.

Higher doses are commonly used for SHORT periods of time (up to a week) but in an ideal world you should back down to the lowest dose possible. I find that after the loading period a lot of horses can actually get by on a 57mg dose every other day. But each horse is different. Even though firocoxib is a COX-2 inhibitor it is not without side effects and I would be very concerned about leaving a horse on a whole 227mg tablet for more than a few days!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Higher doses are commonly used for SHORT periods of time (up to a week) but in an ideal world you should back down to the lowest dose possible.
    Commonly used by whom?

I find that after the loading period a lot of horses can actually get by on a 57mg dose every other day. But each horse is different. Even though firocoxib is a COX-2 inhibitor it is not without side effects and I would be very concerned about leaving a horse on a whole 227mg tablet for more than a few days!
    There have been no safety and efficiency studies done on horses at does this high. I think it's bad idea and also question the competency of the OP's vet.

On a recent thread about using Previoxx, there was also the suggestion that use for more than 14 days straight, is less effective. Better to do off and on with the meds to keep it effective. There was also a link to the equioxx about useage, which I read. Covered quite a bit of material.

So I quit dosing my mare, 1600pounds, getting the 1/4 tablet of 57g daily. I let her go with no Previoxx for 12 days, then gave her the meds for 14 days, then took her off them again for 12 days. Was due to start up again next week on Tues. She started with the 1/4 pill, no loading doses.

This seemed to work as well for her, as versus having the daily dose forever. She had been getting that daily dose since May, I believe. While off the meds 12 days, she still walked and trotted, covered a lot of ground grazing with almost no gait issue. Appeared very comfortable in movement, cantered now and then too. Seemed more happy, with being more comfortable. She has severe arthritus in her neck from previously broken vertebae, which affects how she strides. Husband can't tell in her movement, whether she is on or off the medicine, and he has an EXCELLENT eye for gait changes.

She actually didn't like the pill, had to put it in her mouth to get it ingested. Often spit it out a couple times before swallowing with a carrot chaser.

But for those using this medication, you might also try the off and on dosing, see if it works for your horse. Could save you some money stretching the pills out, but horse stays moving about equally well when not getting it for that short time. I am grateful to the person who posted that helpful information. THANKS!

My elderly horse is on 1 57 mg dog tablet daily for maintenance for arthritis and general ancient-ness.

My vet says he carries the dog version because it's less expensive than the equiox made for horses. I pay $71 for a bottle of 60 x 57 mg dog pills.

I have had great luck feeding the single pill in a very small handful of alfalfa meal, and hand feeding it to make sure it goes in.