The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I just read a couple of online Toronto papers and saw that Canada is not only behind us politically, but that they are shipping blood and people are lining up to donate--just as they are here in the U.S.

Go Canada!!!!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I just read a couple of online Toronto papers and saw that Canada is not only behind us politically, but that they are shipping blood and people are lining up to donate--just as they are here in the U.S.

Go Canada!!!!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I feel for you as a nation and as our neighbour - i know that goes for all of us on the bb no matter what our opinions may be (and they're no doubt as diverse as your own) on American foreign policy...

But what i personally wouldn't support is the use by the US of nuclear weapons ("tactical" or otherwise) anytime, anywhere....no matter what happens.

I stood in line for over an hour today just to register to give blood only to be turned away because I had had a baby within the past 3 months. Apparently you can't give blood until 6 months. There were at least 100 people standing in line at the hospital waiting to
    donate blood...we;re here for you!

They are now saying to wait till next week. Our blood bank is full!

I am so relieved, I didn't miss month 4!!! This is month 4!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

The following is a transcript of a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator.

What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped. The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars
    into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans. I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own
    airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why
    don't they fly them? Why do all the International
    lines except Russia fly American Planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon-not once, but several times-and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old
    caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
    Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
    kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

This was written in 1973.

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

All I can say is thanks heidi for sharing.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

I have seen this three times today but had no idea that it was written in '73

It seems that we are getting symapthy from other countries but who will actually pitch in and help us fight? That is the real test of a friend.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

... and then the date at the end was the real kicker. The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

I went today, but was turned away because I'm below the weight limit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]. It was so disappointing, because in a situation like this one, you really want to help out, but being so far away, there's not much else you can do. I think I'll donate some money.

Cheers,
    Susie
    http://www.kachoom.com

"Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can." ~Elsa Maxwell
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

My father is currently on his way to New York to volunteer in the rescue/cleanup operations. (As a sidenote, does anyone know what they are doing with volunteers, ie. what he might be working on?)

I have just reached the age where I can donate blood, but I think I'm underweight. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

As a heartbroken American, thank you. I have no doubt you also lost fellow countrymen in this tragedy. You have my sympathy in return.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Of we course we are! You guys are our wonderful neighbours!!
    I'm in Ottawa and it's gotten to the point where all the blood clinics are completly full from open to close and you have to call ahead just to find a place that isn't full. Unfortunatly I can't give blood or I'd be there too.

When the ice storm was going on, people from NY and deep into the states travelled over to help us out. I was shocked when I found out one of the men was from somewhere insanly far away! He had see our problem on some news station, packed his wife into the repair van and drove for a day to get here.

We do what we can and are behind you guys all the way through this.
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Just for the record Canada has never felt like another country to me. It always surpiises me when I have to go through a boarder crossing. I was born in Buffalo NY and as a kid we always went to Canada to play.
    I hope Canadians feel the same about us. Thank you for being such good neighbors!

edit
    Last edited by Goodyfourshoes!; May. 20, 2007 at 12:58 AM.

We are joined at the hip with the USA. We are ready to go to war for you, as is England and other countries.
    We have sent paramedics, firemen etc. to help out. They were on TV yesterday showing how they rescued someone from the rubble. Blood banks are overflowing with people donating blood etc to be shipped to the US. Donations are flooding in to the Red Cross to purchase supplies for you.
    These terrorists did not just attack the United States of America. They attacked all those countries who are allies with her. We are all in a state of mourning. We are all united in the quest to bring down those who have committed this heinous crime.

well said Robbierox
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

I watched CBC "Nation" program last night, on the cable TV channel CSPAN2. It showed how Canadians all across their country had spontaneously opened their hearts, kitchens, homes, and pocketbooks to take care of the tens of thousands of air travellers stranded at Canadian airports when most US flights were diverted to Canadian airports after ours were closed following the attacks Tuesday.

I'm an American who has never forgotten that 20+ years ago during the Iranian hostage crisis, Canadian embassy personnel in Teheran, at very great risk to their own lives, took in Americans and hid them from the Iranians. So I am never surprised when our friends in Canada show, time and again, that they deserve our utmost admiration and appreciation.

so yet again, THANKS CANADA!

Agreed about Canada not seeming like another country. More like an incredibly close blood relative always ready to help. Thanks guys. We need it.

Apparently, the city where i live (Winnipeg) has picked up the tab for all of the hotel bills and meals for passengers diverted to our airport from US destinations....we are by no means a wealthy city either. Anyone know if Toronto and other canadian cities have done likewise? Apparently the airlines (with the notable exception of Northwest) were unwilling to pay for these costs...