The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

the prizelist is out! i'm sending in my entries ASAP! i'm a little worried about getting in for the juniors because they're only taking 20. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] i think they took, like, 30 last year. and do you think my 2300 points will be enough? i'm still gonna keep showing until qulaifying is done, but i just want to see how close i am already. anybody else goin, to show or watch? anybody else trying to get in for the younger small juniors or big eq? i just hope i have an eq horse before then, cuz something tells me my hunter can't do it there. lol, but i've got to have my entries accepted first.

~*~it's all good...and i'm all that~*~

~DeSpErAtElY sEeKiNg An Eq HoRsE~

the prizelist is out! i'm sending in my entries ASAP! i'm a little worried about getting in for the juniors because they're only taking 20. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] i think they took, like, 30 last year. and do you think my 2300 points will be enough? i'm still gonna keep showing until qulaifying is done, but i just want to see how close i am already. anybody else goin, to show or watch? anybody else trying to get in for the younger small juniors or big eq? i just hope i have an eq horse before then, cuz something tells me my hunter can't do it there. lol, but i've got to have my entries accepted first.

Ooh I got my prizelist tooo! They're out a little earlier this year than I've remembered in the past, but hey, it's all good [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm hoping/praying for my parents to let me do Locals this year.

We should have a COTH get-together at Devon this year - I'll buy the fudge [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    * Emily *
    If you're here for four more years or four more weeks, you're here right now.
    I think when you're somewhere, you ought to be there.
    It's not about how long you stay in a place, it's about what you do while you're there, and when you go, is that place any better for your having been there?

Devon has always taken only 20 in each section of Junior Hunters. Indoors takes more, so that might be what you are thinking about.

Remember only your top 15 National shows from the qualifying period count. All the Federation NOW and make sure they have the same as you. Much easier to deal with it now, then when you don't get in and think you should have.

Good luck.

yeah! a coth get together at devon would be fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    yeah, i definitely must have confused inddors with devon. thanx for clearin that up! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'll be there for the eq probably, so if you guys wanna buy me some fudge... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey Heather, I looked at the qualifying lists from last year and they took 24 in each division so you weren't way off. And I think the cutoff for the younger smalls was 1299, so even if it's higher this year you should still get in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I would post the link but I don't know how to do that...
    -Megan

It wasn't the same last year! (Devon was grand, the fudge, however, was a bummer)

Mr. Wings and I might be up to watch the Hunter Breeding classes again this year. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

megan-thanx for the reassurance. hopefully it will get to be more points than 2358, so that i can be a little more confident. my goal was 2500, but a lot of people weren't sure that i would even get 2000, so you never know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    this fudge thing is starting to sound better and better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] too bad i'm on a diet!
    what do you guys know about the eq courses there? my mother suggested doing the eq w/raja to warm him up in case we get in for jrs. that's what we do now all the time, but i wasn't sure about the turns...i wouldn't want to confuse him too much for hunters.

I will be at Devon this year but i refuse to eat fudge! Long story... Rockford coaxed me into eating my first bite of fudge at Blowing Rock after 10 years of a Fudge Fear.

Marion (Long Acre Hats Off's GOOD LUCK CHARM)

Can all of you guys who are experts explain to me how one qualifies for Devon? I have looked at their website and did not find it there.

I understand that it is based on points, but where do these points need to be earned? Are there only certain shows that count? If so, how do you find out which ones these are? Do you need to "register" at the start of the season? When does the season begin and end? How do you know that you have qualified? What is "The Federation"?

Consider this a request for a complete lesson in "how-to-go-to-Devon"! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Thanks in advance!

PS - oh yeah, one more thing: "indoors" - I hear this term used a lot; is this just one single show (e.g. the Garden) or is it a group of shows?

Sorry for the ignorance but this part of horse-showing is still new to this mom. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

for devon, you earn points earned at USAE registered show. that would be "the federation" you were wondering about. for devon, qualifying starts april 1, and ends march 31(or 30, i can't remember how many days are in march). for points to count, you must register both horse and rider with the AHSA. you must enter the show either online or request a prizelist(sometimes they don't get sent on their own [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). they will send you a letter saying whether or not you qualified...trust me, the rejection letters are depressing! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    indoors is the nickname for all indoors finals shows(capital challenge, harrisburg/ahsa finals, WIHS/wihs finals, and of course, the garden/maclay finals. i personally consider maclay regionals an indoors show, and uset finals too, even though the uset finals isn't indoors.

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Indoors is traditionally Harrisburg, Washington (International Horse Show) and New York. Capitol Challenge is a relatively new addition to the list. Some people go on to the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto, too.

So Heather, how do you calculate the points for Devon? It must be different than the points listed at USA Eq (I looked up your points under both zone and national to compare - hope you don't mind! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) Is there someplace else to look up your points specifically for Devon? And is there someplace to look up the way to calculate the points?

Also, since I'm picking your brain Heather [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img], I seem to remember you posting a while back (last fall?) about qualifying for a children's hunter classic at the Garden - am I right? What was that, and where can I get more info on that?

By the way, FYI: (*said as a rhyme*) "30 days has September, April June, and November, all the rest have 31 except Feb., which has 28, or in leap year, 29" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by HSM on Feb. 08, 2002 at 12:15 PM.]

One of the reason why Heather's Zone and National Points aren't the same as her Devon points is because those points are as of December 1, 2001 and the Devon points are from April 1.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan:
    One of the reason why Heather's Zone and National Points aren't the same as her Devon points is because those points are as of December 1, 2001 and the Devon points are from April 1. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh!! Not too bright on my part. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Thanks Ryan! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>what do you guys know about the eq courses there? my mother suggested doing the eq w/raja to warm him up in case we get in for jrs. that's what we do now all the time, but i wasn't sure about the turns...i wouldn't want to confuse him too much for hunters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well height-wise, the USET is a substantial 3'9" and the others a good 3'6", but you do those all the time anyway. For the most part, they're all jumperish jumps if I remember correctly...I don't remember if there were any liverpools last year but there was a triplebar in one class. All the courses ask questions, but since the ring is fairly big there aren't that many tight turns...
    -Megan

In addition to Heather's post re qualifying.

Devon and each of the qualifying indoor fall shows only use your top 15 National show points for that period specific to that show.

Heather I will use your points as an example, since you have posted them.

If Heather went to 20 shows to earn her 2500 points, only the top 15 shows would count and therefore change her qualifing point total to say 2000. If she earned all 2500 points at 15 shows or less all the points would count.

Having it done this way means simply that you can't "chase" points to get in. You can show all you want, but only a maximum of 15 shows will count.

Many do consider Capital Challenge part of the indoor fall circuit, however they do not use the same qualifying process that the others use. The simply limit entries to the first that enter.

Also remember for all the qualifying shows, the entry deadline is STRICTLY upheld. If it is even postmarked a day late, expect to get it returned.

Heather, in the past the EQ courses have been very similar to a jr jumper course, modified slightly. They lean closer to a finals course than a local A show course. Medal is probably the "easist" course in terms of difficulty in past years. Definatly not a modified hunter course!

Hey Heather...
    I have seen tons of Devon Eq courses, and my suggestion would be that if you wouldn't be comfortable taking Raja to an indoor equitation final then I wouldn't take him to Devon in the eq. Some years the courses are straightforward, but others are tough and if you aren't totally prepared you will run into problems. The jumps are a real 3'6 and the lines tend to be demanding, as are the courses in general. But some times the courses are do-able on most horses. Good Luck

-------------------------
    -Erin-
    "You've got to think with a girl like that any love at all is better then nothing..."
    -Erin-
    \"Im so terrified of no one else but me
    Im here all the time
    I wont go away...\"
    (Matchbox 20, Long Day)

Beter make your hotel reservations now, just in case - I tried this morning, and couldn't get into the Courtyard Marriott right next to the grounds, ended up at the one (supposedly) 2 miles away in Wayne - anyone know if it's really that close? Anywhere near the Residence Inn (stayed there last year)?

Wayne is one of those places whose zip codes stretches for miles and miles, but the actual town is pretty danged small. The Wayne I live in and Devon are very very close, and right now I'm kicking myself because I can't remember for the life of me where the Marriott in Wayne or the Residence Inn actually are. The zip code for Wayne goes all the way out to the Valley Forge area, which isn't exactly close to the grounds.

If nothing works out, email me and you can stay in my guest room (if Mom doesn't object [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    * Emily *
    If you're here for four more years or four more weeks, you're here right now.
    I think when you're somewhere, you ought to be there.
    It's not about how long you stay in a place, it's about what you do while you're there, and when you go, is that place any better for your having been there?