The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tendons

Currently on the market for my next eventer. While looking i found this lovely mare who rides great, still a little green but im looking for a greenie..
    She had apparently strained her tendon back in march running around in some mud. owner had ultrasounds and xrays with no major findings. just a slight thickening in the superficial digital flexor tendon.
    So i was wondering what your guy's take on it was and whether you had experienced something like this in the past and if it effected your horses career as an eventer.
    "Love is the only lanugauge every living being understands. It universal"

Sounds similar to my horse's injury from last fall (he banged into himself behaving like an idiot). *knock wood* After the six weeks of stall rest and tack walking and one shockwave treatment (we had originally planned on three, but after the first he made HUGE improvement), he has been fine. He is getting ready to move up to prelim. I don't worry about it too much because his was caused by blunt force and NOT a strain from exertion (though I do keep a close eye on his legs...but I would anyway!). I've known lots of other event horses with way more mileage than him, competing at high levels you have recovered from much more serious injuries.

I would think that something so minor should not be an issue. If you like the horse and want to vet her, consider adding ultrasounds to your PPE (both legs for comparison). I don't LOVE the fact that a young horse had a strain just playing out in the field, but stuff happens and it probably ISN'T a big concern.

If you get her, do proper conditioning to build strong soft tissue, and you will help prevent a future injury. If you can, walking and trotting on hard surfaces is great.

She wasnt even out of work for more the two weeks. the lameness subsided within 3 days but regardless was still only hand walked for 2 weeks out of precautions. If i do decide on her, im definately going to get ultrasounds on both legs and compare them to the ones the owner has sent me from when she did the injury back in early march. also since it was a warm winter her field was muddy so it wasnt just a strain on normal ground.
    Thank you for your response and story, it helps reduce the worry i had about it. he gait hasnt been effected in any way and moves so smoothly. my mom is worried about the leg injury and says she doesnt want me to get stuck with a horse i cant get rid of

I would probably be more concerned that she got so little rehab time than anything. My vet was conservative, but I was fine with that, wanting my horse to get the full chance to recover. I don't like messing around with soft tissues!

The injury you describe is almost exactly what mine was. Do the ultrasounds to be sure she has fully recovered, and if she has, then don't worry too much!

Hmm. When there are so many really nice green ones out there who don't have issues, I might be pretty ready to pass on one with a recent soft tissue injury. At the very least, I'd want to know the horse was back in work without any issues and like ultrasounds of the leg in question, which raises the cost of a pre-purchase. For a greenie, it'd have to be pretty special to get there, since soft tissue injuries can be so nagging and so hard to rehab well.

her ultrasounds at the time of injury showed no rupture of any tissues, just the slight emlargement of the tendon, so idk if thats why the vet gave them the clear to slowly come back into work again or not. I have a couple videos of me riding her and by her movement you cannot even tell she had something happen. if you wanted to look at them i could pm them to you since shes not my horse i dont want to post them on a public forum