The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What are your at home jump most haves?

What do you feel are must haves in your at home schooling jumps?

I feel everyone that shows a lot should have....
    -a liverpool (yes they are costly but will last for ever if looked after. have had mine since '01 and it is still like new. I use it for in hand and jumping training) It lives in a $20 tool box from walmart.
    -Flowers, every show I have gone two has had flowers somewhere. small bit of 4x4 with holes drilled in works great as flower boxes.
    -skinny ploes 8' long jump poles.
    -a set of soild white jump poles. it has been one of the my down falls with a horse or two.
    -a coop or boxes or wall of some kind. I have a set to stackable jumps the base of these work great as boxes.

Add your must haves.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

From a purely practical standpoint I LOVE the removable bases my DH made for my standards.

PVC 4X4s act as the uprights and slip into the made-to-fit bases.
    Bases are standard design made from pressure-treated lumber painted white to match the uprights.

Much easier to tote & store standards broken down into base & upright than as one fixed piece.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Honestly, I have headed to shows after teaching a horse to jump in a 60' x 60' hamster wheel where the only thing we had was two jumps set at opposite edges and white poles.
    Around 7 strides and jump, around 7 more strides and jump, around and jump.

Do I prefer having flowers and lines and a whole ring to school in before heading out? Yes.

But "must have" is relative.

I've found a costly liverpool is not necessarily as a blue tarp works the same
    But I have 5 sets of standards, 16-12' poles, 6-8' poles, flower boxes. I want to build a wall and a coop. It's just me riding out here, and now a leaser while I am pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Honestly, I have headed to shows after teaching a horse to jump in a 60' x 60' hamster wheel where the only thing we had was two jumps set at opposite edges and white poles.
    Around 7 strides and jump, around 7 more strides and jump, around and jump.

Do I prefer having flowers and lines and a whole ring to school in before heading out? Yes.

But "must have" is relative.
    You didn't tell us how you did though...

Seriously, I think flowers and liverpools would be my bet too re. essentials.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    I've found a costly liverpool is not necessarily as a blue tarp works the same
    Works fine till the wind picks it up just as you get to it. Almost get killed trying to stay on horse, come off and get hurt. Then it took 6 months of retraining to get said horse anywhere near anything blue on the ground again. For just $350. and have it now 11 yrs more then paid for it's self 10 times over.

Yes that is a lot out in one shot, but at a dollar a day it is paid for in a year.
    and right now you can get one ofr 199.00
    http://www.nextdayjumps.com/index/loc/waterjumps.html
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sorry, I'm a pennypincher too.

For a heckuva lot less than $350 or even $199 you could have wrapped that tarp around a couple of landscape timbers on each side and besides not blowing away it would even have the capability of holding water just like a "real" one.

I used a heavyduty blue tarp stretched over some wood poles, held in place with landscape pins & filled with a layer of gravel to cover a muddy spot in my chickenyard and had to punch a couple holes so it drained when it rained.
    The chickens did not appreciate a wading pool.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

At my barn the "liverpool" is when the jumps are set up next to the big mud puddle that forms in the corner every time it rains

We've also got old tires hanging on a pole, busted up orange construction cones, and various decrepit turnout blankets hung over the verticals for "color"

The coop has a beach scene painted on one side, and flowers & birds on the other.

And the roll top used to be covered in astroturf.

Can we say "redneck"?

Bet I'm the only one with a full course in a basement bedroom! They have been used approx. 3 times. It is too depressing to even think about.

I have 5 sets of jumps we (five adults--two with power tools) made in an afternoon and about 15 10' poles, but I also have cavaletti (plastic box-type standards for those). I spent many days priming and painting. I got quite elaborate with the poles.

My one "idea" was to go even cheaper than a 4x4 drilled with holes for a flower box and to use landscape timbers.

My only "must have" is plastic jump cups instead of the metal ones that we all grew up riding with. I got them on a TOTD deal. I've seen even better "pinless" ones, but they were significantly more expensive at the time, if I recall correctly.

I would like to buy a roll top some day. It looked too tricky to make.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Just about the only thing that's "must have" for me are 1-piece jump cups (the paperchase ones) so I can adjust jump heights from horseback.

I've taken several horses into the big ring without having a liverpool at home, so definitely not on my list. If I feel a horse needs to school over something similar I'll lay a tarp (with poles on either side weighting it down) or whatever I have handy (blankets, saddle pads, etc). My opinion on that may change if I end up with a horse with a fear of the water jump (and/or liverpools) And now that I've commented on it that's guaranteed to be the story with my next prospect, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    I would like to buy a roll top some day. It looked too tricky to make.
    NOTE: Size of this depends on if you have 10' or 12' jump poles.

Get a sheet of pressure treated plywood and cut it the way you want the end of the roll top to look. Some people want a circle cut into quarters, some want more of an oval cut into quarters. The oval can be 24" on one straight side and 18" or even just 12" on the other. You'll need six of them, three pairs so that your roll top is in three sections and thus is easier to move. Get some 1 by 4 pressure treated boards 12' long. Get three 2" x 4" 12 feet long.

The 2x4's hold the two ends of each section together. Cut them less than the length of your jump poles. Starting at the base of the round part, attach the first 1x4. Overlap the next 1x4 so that it is just about 3/4 of an inch over the first one. Attach with screws or nails. Work your way around the curve. You don't have to put a bottom or a back on the roll top, you can leave it open. Paint green, and you've got a roll top!