The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pity Party

Jusy whining. and typing w. one hand/finger. :0(

Had a nice vacation. Rolex, etc. Trip home -flight delayed - arrived SFO AFTER last train to East Bay left. Had to sit at SFO until 4am when trains started running again. Got to bed at 6am up 22 hrs. Sigh.

Went to trainer to p[ick up horse. "he was so good, we love him, etc."

Rode in arena next day. Cruised around the property. All is well, loose rein. great.

Sunday- trail ride (This has been an issue.) 90% of the ride he's GREAT. loose rein flat footed walk. gets a little jiggy coming home, but not too bad. Go to open gate about a mile from home (never a problem), and suddenly he tries to bolt thru gate (?) I fling gate wide, but my leg catches it enough to flip me out of saddle onto his butt. Your imagination can take it from there. THUD! (wearing helmet & vest, so just winded, right?) he takes off down the road, but managed to avoid traffic and go into a deadend residential area. I'm assessing damages - bruises, scrapes....and oh my - that arm (left) isn't supposed to be that shape, is it? Sigh.

both forearm bones broken near wrist. will require pins. surgery 5/15. At work in the meantime. working very sloooowly. I hope that there are no probs healing: I'm nearly 67. Just turning him out in the meantime (6-8 weeks).
    no money to pay for trainer rides. *whimper* *pout* bratty horse!!!

Oh, that stinks! Poor you.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

OOOWWWIEEE WOWIE!! I'll bring the wine for your pity party - I mean REAL wine - Cabernet or Reisling? So sorry to hear of your accident & injuries ... sending lots of healing prayers! Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by kewpalace View Post
    OOOWWWIEEE WOWIE!! I'll bring the wine for your pity party - I mean REAL wine - Cabernet or Reisling? So sorry to hear of your accident & injuries ... sending lots of healing prayers! Get well soon!
    Reisling, thanks. *G*

Well, shoot. I am so sorry to hear that, Sandy. The last time you posted, he was doing so much better.

I hope you heal quickly and he uses these 6-8 weeks to ponder his sins and ummm ... well, grow the hell up.

Ouch! I hope you heal up soon.

I highly recommend twilight sedation if they give you an option. When I had my forearm rebuilt in 2010, they let me do the auxiliary block and light anesthesia. The numbing and tingling in my hand as the block wore off was pretty awful, but it only lasted a few hours and was much more tolerable than trying to come out from under general. Had to get pins in my finger last year under general and was loopy and off-balance for several days.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Oh goodness! I'm so sorry!

I very much hope that I'm as tough as you at 67.

Jingles for getting back in the saddle (and staying there) quickly!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie4Bar View Post
    Ouch! I hope you heal up soon.

I highly recommend twilight sedation if they give you an option. When I had my forearm rebuilt in 2010, they let me do the auxiliary block and light anesthesia. The numbing and tingling in my hand as the block wore off was pretty awful, but it only lasted a few hours and was much more tolerable than trying to come out from under general. Had to get pins in my finger last year under general and was loopy and off-balance for several days.
    Me too, shoulder block and you are fine that evening, not sick as a dog for a few days.

Had plate and pins in one arm with regular anesthesia, supposed to be day surgery, so sick had to spend the night in the hospital.
    Had shoulder surgery with twilight and block and was dancing out of there a few hours later.

I hope all goes well, those arm surgeries are really no trouble, other than you can't use the arm for a while.
    With broken legs, all bets are off how much help you need for everything.

Are you sure that horse is for you, at this stage of life?
    Asking because my trainer friend and I were talking about that two days ago.
    We both have some horse we really should not be riding, fine if all goes well, a possible wreck when things don't work out.
    We don't bounce that well any more, as you found out.

Hoping all goes well for your surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Jusy whining. and typing w. one hand/finger. :0(

Had a nice vacation. Rolex, etc. Trip home -flight delayed - arrived SFO AFTER last train to East Bay left. Had to sit at SFO until 4am when trains started running again. Got to bed at 6am up 22 hrs. Sigh.

Went to trainer to p[ick up horse. "he was so good, we love him, etc."

Rode in arena next day. Cruised around the property. All is well, loose rein. great.

Sunday- trail ride (This has been an issue.) 90% of the ride he's GREAT. loose rein flat footed walk. gets a little jiggy coming home, but not too bad. Go to open gate about a mile from home (never a problem), and suddenly he tries to bolt thru gate (?) I fling gate wide, but my leg catches it enough to flip me out of saddle onto his butt. Your imagination can take it from there. THUD! (wearing helmet & vest, so just winded, right?) he takes off down the road, but managed to avoid traffic and go into a deadend residential area. I'm assessing damages - bruises, scrapes....and oh my - that arm (left) isn't supposed to be that shape, is it? Sigh.

both forearm bones broken near wrist. will require pins. surgery 5/15. At work in the meantime. working very sloooowly. I hope that there are no probs healing: I'm nearly 67. Just turning him out in the meantime (6-8 weeks).
    no money to pay for trainer rides. *whimper* *pout* bratty horse!!!
    So Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon.

I am so happy to hear you where wearing your helmet and vest. A lot of people laugh at me when I wear my vest even in the ring but I don't bounce to well anymore.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

oh ow ow ow ow!!! deepest sympathies! (am almost back to 100% after a simple wrist break in january, myself.)

whatever you do, follow your doc's and PT's orders to the letter. i have a colleague who didn't, and she had to have surgery *twice.* jingling...

FWIW, I had surgery for a parathyroid adenoma in April 2011 and came out from general anesthesia pretty well - i.e., a bit tired, but otherwise fine. However, the orthopod (young & cute BTW- Sandy, you Dirty Old Lady!) did say light anesthesia and nerve block.

As for the four-legged child - he has been constantly improving and his ring behavior has been fine. Once I can work something out with BOs (i.e. minor fee to hold stall-they are not full), I will send him to a trainer the gal who started him has recommended. The DQ pony will get LOTS of trail/cattle work and "wet saddle blankets." I may have bought him as a dressage prospect, but I have NEVER had a horse I couldn't hack out, and I don't want to start now. Not quite ready to give up on that issue yet.

Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry. I have broken my arm a few times, and you have my deepest sympathy. Hopefully this will all be behind you soon.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry. I have broken my arm a few times, and you have my deepest sympathy. Hopefully this will all be behind you soon.
    And wouldn't you know it: Ms. Kate - whom I just visited - broke her arm last Sept. and it's only just now fully healed. she has hung up her spurs, but still has approx. 10 horses! (5 for sale, 3 retirees, a pony, and a feral mini-mule, to deal with.

I'm sorry to hear Ms. Kate dealt with this too. I haven't had to have pins in my arm since I was a 20 something, but my more recent breaks have healed well, although I have wrist arthritis from them. Getting old is hell.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I'm sorry to hear Ms. Kate dealt with this too. I haven't had to have pins in my arm since I was a 20 something, but my more recent breaks have healed well, although I have wrist arthritis from them. Getting old is hell.
    She's all over me re this. Says she'll send me her bone stimulator machine if I need it! I had a minor evulsion fracture of the (same) wrist 35 years ago. no probs. Other than that, NOTHING since a fracture/dislocation - left foot - way back in '74, so this is a shock. At prsent, just worrying about what to do with/for my equine child. Everyone has been great, but he can't just be turned out until I'm better (and if he IS, I sure ain't getting on him first!!! LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I hope all goes well, those arm surgeries are really no trouble, other than you can't use the arm for a while.
    With broken legs, all bets are off how much help you need for everything.

LOL I'm a legal secty, so, of necessity, becoming an adept one-armed typist/editor. Putting on a BRA is the biggest problem!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    LOL I'm a legal secty, so, of necessity, becoming an adept one-armed typist/editor. Putting on a BRA is the biggest problem!!!
    Elastic sport bras you pull over your head are your friend. TJ Maxx always has lots of them, and very inexpensive.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Sandy-too funny to see this tonight and I will give you lots of sympathy. Kate just gave me your update yesterday! Sorry I could not meet up with you guys for lunch before Rolex, but I had to run book fair at school. Your's has to heal faster than Kates!!!
    Carol
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

So sorry. Wishing you quick healing and better days ahead. Take care.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Default surgery

had surgery yesterday. they gave me a nerve block and when it wore off this a.m., extemely painful. feeling better now after LOTS of hydrocodone. unfortunately, as a migraine sufferer I have a high tolerance of pain meds.
    now I have to deal w. what to do re horse. running out of $$$ but he has to have someone work him thru this "acting like an idiot on trail business, and equally obviously, I han't been able to fix it. now it's a learned behavior. I do
    not want to become an arena only DQ. sigh. he's just been turned out since I got hurt, and that can't continue that for the months it's going to take me to heal/rehab. and yoi know, despite it all, I'm really missing him.....the brat!