The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping Boots

I realize its not totally eventing related, but given how paranoid, er I mean attentive, we tend to be about legs...seemed like a good place to ask!

I have always, always, always used shipping wraps. I feel they provide good protection, and I like the element of control they afford! I can get the exact right tension, coverage, etc.

That being said, I have typically had horses that were relatively good travelers and stood fairly well for being wrapped. While there is only one way to find out (i.e. at 5 am on a show morning), I'm not sure how patient the current beast will be when it comes to wrapping. It occurs to me that shipping boots might provide for a more relaxed show morning.

Basically, what is the deal with shipping boots? Do you use them? Are you happy with the coverage/protection they provide? What brands do you like?

I very rarely wrap and do use shipping boots. I think Lende are the best, although a lot of people use the Dover as well (and I do like the mesh lining in the Dover Pro). I like a smooth nylon lined boot (fleece just holds dirt and gets hot) with 3 large velcro tabs. The Amigo are quite decent for the price. I also want to try these, but have not: http://saddletackshop.icowboy.com/Ho...B000BL3320.htm It is also not clear they are being made any more. I have tried weatherbeeta, pessoa, and the Schneiders Dura Tech and have not been impressed. I am sad Lende does not do custom colors any more. If you want to spend a fortune, EquiFit is doing a T-foam shipping boot now available through Smartpak. I am not convinced it is worth the price. Premier, which are my favorite xc boots also makes a shipping boot that looks quite good (but don't seem to have US Stockists) http://www.speedgate.co.uk/ecomm/for...avel-boots.htm
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I think there are pros and cons to both shipping wraps and shipping boots. The wraps I feel give you more support for the tendons, but the boots go up higher and have more protection for a larger area. I personally prefer wraps because my boy is good on the trailer (doesn't crash around where he could hurt himself higher up) so I like the idea of giving more support than just cushion. I have used boots too and they are so much easier to deal with that is for sure! For shorter trips, I still waiver back and forth on whether or not I want to spend the time actually wrapping.
    A Pony is a Childhood Dream, A Horse is an Adulthood Treasure!http://www.turningdreamsintotreasure.blogspot.com

I love the lende. They are the best, but for price and comparison, I have the woof full coverage boots and I love them.

I usually boot on the way to an event and he's usually polticed and wrapped for the ride home.

If I'm doing a short trip, honestly, I often leave him naked since he is a very good shipper and boots and wraps in the summer can be hot, but if there's two horses, he wears boots just in case.

I recently did triage on a horse who shipped into my farm and slipped off her ramp, and severed the big artery in her fetlock. The horse was a seasoned hauler and had literally come from "around the corner" to school our xc field. She was just wearing Woof boots, which I've done a million times, as had her owner. The slice went up under her boot. Thankfully, the horse will be ok, but it wasn't pretty.

I have always typically either booted or wrapped for shipping, but after that, I will ALWAYS boot. They aren't going to eliminate all risk (because, you know, their horses), but I think shipping boots could have prevented that injury (not putting ANY blame on the owner, because I have shipped so many times short distances in galloping boots or polos). It just takes one bad step. It really isn't so much for the actual hauling, to me (though, I think they can help in a scramble or if a good hauler is going with an unsteady one), but the dealing with the ramps.

My personal preference is the Dover mesh lined boots.

Our guy doesn't get booted in the stock trailer since the only danger is himself and it would take a lot of work to cut himself up in there. When he ships in the other trailer he gets boots going out, wraps coming back. We also tend to wrap for the long (3+ hours) trips since we don't want him to stock up on the way.

He had a few bad rides (fell down more than once, we couldn't figure out what was up) in the other trailer and we were grateful that he had the shipping boots on, he walked out without a scratch but he did pull off a guard on the boot.

I usually use shipping boots for most trips, though like YB mentioned I have hauled in woof/xc boots and bells before for short trips before schooling. Although now that I've read that story, maybe I won't be so lazy and will throw the shipping boots on top!

I have a pair of Dover pros that I got in 1999 and are still going strong; definitely "broken in" but still quite serviceable. Since I got a new horse last fall, I picked up another set of shipping boots for DIRT cheap at a Horseloverz sale...they are the old Libertyville Saddle Shop brand of Protectors, a Lende knockoff. Paid about $35 for the full set and they are awesome-- sturdy canvas exterior, silky liner with thick perforated foam inside. The straps are a bit large-- big enough you could use them over standing wraps if you wanted to (when shipping home from an event in poultice).

I bought the Amigos for a friend a couple years ago and they also seem to hold up well. I like that they have a "pull tab" on the velcro straps that's easy to grab for removal.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

What I didn't mention was that the slice communicated with the joint capsule. It was a very expensive, very scary mis-step. I felt so bad for the mare's owner. It was just one of those things... But after spending 30 minutes applying pressure to a massively bleeding horse while we waited for the vet, I will never think "we're just going around the corner."

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    What I didn't mention was that the slice communicated with the joint capsule. It was a very expensive, very scary mis-step. I felt so bad for the mare's owner. It was just one of those things... But after spending 30 minutes applying pressure to a massively bleeding horse while we waited for the vet, I will never think "we're just going around the corner."
    This-- I pretty much always use shipping boots. And for some reason one day last fall, I didn't (didn't even realize I'd forgotten them until I went to take them off when we got there) and on the way home some idiot cut me off and I had to brake sharply and my horse fell. When I opened the escape door he put his leg out the door, then panicked and scrambled to his feet. He scraped both of his front legs pretty badly, on on the door frame and the other on bar that holds up the center divider, and we missed the event we were supposed to go to 3 days later, and he couldn't wear jumping boots for almost a month.

And I was so, so lucky it wasn't a thousand times worse. My horse has been hauled a million times, and we were just going to a lesson, somewhere we go almost every week during the season. So, yeah, boots, . I have the Dover Pros, and they last forever and are pretty easy to clean and they stay up and they offer a bit more protection than wraps (I like that they cover the hocks, particularly, plus they keep the poop off!)

Shipping boots all the way. I used to wrap but my guy gets too excited and it's a major pain. Bought the Rambo shipping boots and slap them on in a few minutes. Protect a lot higher and save a lot of time. I always wear something, you just never know and not worth the risk to be lazy!

I use these:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-p...ots/p/X1-0492/

EVERY time, even going to the end of the driveway! Also between phases at a horse trials if I need to put the horse up on the trailer. I'm a freak about shipping with legs wrapped all the way to the ground. It makes me crazy to see horses wrapped from knee to fetlock with bell boots. How dumb. If you wrap, please go all the way down behind the heels! Anyhow, these boots are fab, last forever and have saved a few legs for me.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    I use these:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-p...ots/p/X1-0492/

EVERY time, even going to the end of the driveway! Also between phases at a horse trials if I need to put the horse up on the trailer. I'm a freak about shipping with legs wrapped all the way to the ground. It makes me crazy to see horses wrapped from knee to fetlock with bell boots. How dumb. If you wrap, please go all the way down behind the heels! Anyhow, these boots are fab, last forever and have saved a few legs for me.
    this on the wrapping for shipping. I was taught to wrap my shipping wraps under the heel with super long flannel wraps, 2 loops under the heel and then back up again. I have done it with bell boots but still going over the top of the bell boot for protection. I wrap regular standing wraps fetlock to knee/hock though.

While I prefer wrapping my horses, I had a bad kicker once. The Lende boots were the only thing he could NOT NOT remove in the trailer.

I loaned them to a friend this weekend for her young, "too excited to stand for wrapping" mare. They worked wonderfully - and they are 12years old!

This thread has been super helpful.

As with anything involving horses, there is always a trade off of some sort and you just have to hope you make the right choice for whatever trouble the horse is going to get themselves into!

Of course, I probably should have asked this question before Rolex so I could run around looking at all of the shipping boots in person! Well, I suppose I'll just have to spend countless hours surfing the various websites, but I appreciate the various tips on brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    this on the wrapping for shipping. I was taught to wrap my shipping wraps under the heel with super long flannel wraps, 2 loops under the heel and then back up again. I have done it with bell boots but still going over the top of the bell boot for protection. I wrap regular standing wraps fetlock to knee/hock though.
    This is how I was taught in PC. Always under the heel, as that is one whole reasons of appling a shipping bandage to protect everything from the heel to the knee or hock.

I use the weatherbeeta shipping boots for short hauls, and love them. For longer hauls I am going to start using stable bandages with bell boots to help prevent stocking up.