The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Quencher

Has anyone used the horse quencher product? I too have a horse who will not drink on the road even if it's 90 degrees and a 12 hour drive. Night mare. He is also a pickly eater and I have no idea what flavor might suit him. He's not terribly fond of molasses and spits peppermints out. I contacted the company but did not recieve a reply about a sample pack. Does any tack shop sell a sample variety pack? I really don't want to spend oodles of money trying to find a flavor that would work.

Anyone know which flavor seems to work better?

I have not used it myself, as my horses are good drinkers, but I know of several people who have used it at endurance rides and it made a very noticable difference (one horse in particular, who was a very bad drinker, drank down the whole bucket as soon as it was put in front of him).

I've purchased samples sizes - a couple of bucks per pack to try out the flavours with my horse. I haven't used them yet but yes they are out there. You should be able to find them online somewhere.

I got a few packets at the feed store when my mare (who's normally a great drinker) had an anesthesia reaction and gave up water for a few days!!! We offered her a bucket of plain water and a "treated" bucket, and she definitely took to the treated bucket. She really seemed to like it, but she's not a picky eater in the least. We used molasses, because it was the only flavor they had at the store. I mixed it up in a jug and let it brew for 12 hours before serving. She loved it enough that we were able to give up the IV fluids.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I've found the Rootbeer flavor to be the most popular in our group, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be the flavor most places carry. We also use senior feed to flavor water... they seem to enjoy that as well. We add about 1 cup to a 5 gallon bucket.

Smile

I also have a very picky eater who won't drink on the road. I've resorted to buying electrolyte paste instead, so that way he doesn't have a choice... however, when I went to buy the paste this weekend at the tack shop, they were out. I bought a powder instead called Persevere Electrolytes. I mixed a scoop with his feed yesterday, and bygod he ate it! I was shocked because he hasn't voluntarily eaten or drank other electrolytes in the past. So, in the event that Horse Quencher doesn't work out for you, I highly recommend either paste or Persevere Electrolytes for the picky eater.

Hi, I'm Nancy the founder and owner of Horse Quencher, and I apologize for missing your communication, what flavor do you want to try?

I believe Valley Vet has a variety pack, and IIRC Horse Quencher will send you one free sample pack. I discovered HQ a few years ago @ the Tackeria and ever since always have several on hand just in case. My horse has loved every flavor and will literally suck the whole bucket down, lick the dregs, and look for more!

First tried this last year after hearing about it at a 3day, mare doesn't drink at shows, she slurrped this right up. Our old pony who is not a great drinker also drinks his whole bucket, they both love the root beer, only flavor they really didn't care for was the butterscotch.

Just ordered 3 from Valleyvet yesterday and they are already on the way, free shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy from Jersey View Post
    Hi, I'm Nancy the founder and owner of Horse Quencher, and I apologize for missing your communication, what flavor do you want to try?
    Nancy, is Horse Quencher safe to use daily? wondering for our bad drinker pony for the summer. Also can't find rootbeer flavor any where please tell me you aren't discontinuing that flavor Love the product our trainer was amazed that the mare drank it so willingly at shows
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

Quote Originally Posted by SPF10 View Post
    First tried this last year after hearing about it at a 3day, mare doesn't drink at shows, she slurrped this right up. Our old pony who is not a great drinker also drinks his whole bucket, they both love the root beer, only flavor they really didn't care for was the butterscotch.

Just ordered 3 from Valleyvet yesterday and they are already on the way, free shipping!

Nancy, is Horse Quencher safe to use daily? wondering for our bad drinker pony for the summer. Also can't find rootbeer flavor any where please tell me you aren't discontinuing that flavor Love the product our trainer was amazed that the mare drank it so willingly at shows
    Hi, many our customers give their horse at least one gallon of Horse Quencher a day, just to keep things moving in that long complicated digestive system, and to encourage the horse to drink more of his plain water. Root Beer is a favorite flavor of many and if you have trouble finding it, perhaps your local tack store would like to carry it for you. Just have them call me 888-783-6247. Thanks, Nancy

OMG I am cracking up!

I'd taken my mare to a couple of one-day (or really, half-day) things, and she'd not been enthusiastic about drinking at all. She normally (at home) drinks a LOT. So we had a 3-day clinic (aka "Sleepaway Camp for the Mare") this past weekend, and I decided to give apple-flavor Horse Quencher a try. Mmmm, it smelled good enough that *I* wanted to try it.

I gave her one bucket with HQ and one without. The next morning, both buckets were half-empty. I refilled them, tossed the HQ in one, and mare started splashing the HQ one with her nose. It took me a few hours to realize that she wasn't actually *drinking* the HQ-treated water; she was stirring it up and straining out the "good stuff" with her teeth, and dribbling the water all over the floor. It made a huge mess.

(Did I say that she's a really smart horse, as in too smart for her own good?)

So no, it doesn't really work for us. She loves eating the dry HQ out of my hand, and I can't blame her given that it's essentially apple-flavored sweet feed with electrolytes and some other ingredients added, so I am using the rest of it as a treat, a little at a time.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

My old horse wouldn't TOUCH his water at an away show in July a couple summers ago. A friend lent me some Horse Quencher, and MIRACLE, he started drinking right away even before it had time to sit a few hours as recommended.

Overnight as an experiment I did one bucket with, one without. In the morning the Quencher bucket was 100% gone, and the non-Quencher bucket had barely any gone. As a science-nerd, I was glad I tried the experiment. Well worth buying some if your horse is a poor drinker on the road.

I've been lucky that my horse isn't a picky drinker...but my friend's horse is very picky and doesn't drink away from home! I gave her some of my Horse Quencher samples, and they work about 50% of the time. Gatorade works really well with both of our horses- fruit punch is the favorite, orange works in a pinch. My friend also travels with a giant water multi-gallon bottled water for emergencies.

A vet on a webinar also suggested that some horses prefer salty water- so try 1 bucket of fresh water and 1 bucket of salty water.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Hm, thinking about this, perhaps I need to make up the HQ ahead of time and strain out the goodies
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I apparently live under a rock, because I had never heard of HQ. I am TOTALLY test driving it this summer. If it works, I am using it for our big move from NW Washington to Pensacola, FL at Christmastime.

Thanks!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Smile Horse Quencher

Hi, this is Nancy from Horse Quencher. I just want to clarify that Horse Quencher is not an electrolyte, it was developed to get a horse hydrated right away. It works best when 1 scoop (1/2 cup) is mixed with 1 gallon of water. Please feel free to call me if you have questions at 888-783-6247. Thanks.:

I've tried it up and down the aisles at my barn and have yet to find a horse that doesn't love it. My two will fight over the bucket until they both manage to wedge their head's into the same 5 gallon bucket. We have another who sees the bucket coming and will just start smacking her lips and licking the air until it gets to her. It's hysterical. I've only used the peppermint as it's the only flavor our local feed store carries.