The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing near Seattle

My horse and I are moving to Seattle in a few months and I think I've found my barn of choice, but without biasing anyone by throwing out names, I'd like some reviews on local barns (Redmond/Woodinville area, since I plan on living in the Wallingford/Fremont area). My requirements are affordability (preferably around $600/month or less), an indoor, plenty of turnout (none of this every-other-day-on-gravel-for-two-hours stuff. My boy is used to at least 8 hours of turnout on grass most days), and hopefully some great trail access. I also don't want to be required to take lessons weekly. I just can't afford that and I will have a fairly unpredictable work schedule.

Thanks so much to anyone who has input for me! I'm SO excited to get to a milder climate with my horse where I can conceivably ride year round AND have a city life!

You're not really going to find 8 hours (year round) of turnout on grass that close in...and the 520 bridge toll will make getting to the Redmond area more expensive. (Though maybe traffic is better than the nightmare it was before I moved to GA!)

The BEST place I found to keep my horse was White Birch Farm in Marysville. It seems far north, but in terms of traffic, this was by far the easiest commute to any barn. (Especially if you live north and close to I5...the only traffic you might get stuck in is through Everett) Here is the website: www.whitebirchfarms.com

In my 10+ years of looking for the perfect boarding barn in greater Seattle.. this was the best place I found! The best turnout, roads to hack on, wonderful footing in the indoor, no drama, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, great care, never 'busy'...I usually had the arena to myself after work.

If you want lessons with an event trainer....Meika Descher (sp?) is about 20 min drive and has another fantastic facility with XC jumps too.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Traffic on 520 is mostly better. It's probably worth it to pay the toll, if you have the money. Now traffic on 90 sucks. :/

Whitney Shapiro has a nice facility in Snohomish with 7 day a week turnout:

http://www.capstone-training.com/index.html

Also second Meika but she may have a full barn, however, I wouldn't turn away pasture boarding there. Gorgeous facility, and the horses are treated like royalty.

http://polestarfarm.com/
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

WHAT? 520 is a toll?! I haven't lived out there in years, but really want to move back. How much does it cost? Has it helped? The traffic is the only thing I don't miss!

I didn't have a horse when I lived there so am curious about the barns there too. OP, you'll have to keep me posted on your experiences out there so I know what to look for when I move out in a couple of years! Good luck and have fun

The toll amount varies by time and whether you have a "Good to Go" pass or pay by mail. Low is $1.10 from 5-8 am Saturday using a GTG, to a high of $5.00 from 3-6 pm M-F pay by mail.

Don't think it helped that much, just pushed some people over to I-90.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I don't have anything to add for boarding, but that Polestar is a beautiful facility for schooling and lessons (a bit out of your boarding price range though). We've gone from Whidbey Island over to school at PSF. Great staff, beautiful facility, great XC questions. I'd let my horse live in my bedroom and live there!

oh- The shows up here are great! There are a ton of HTs/Events within 6 hours of Seattle. Check out Area VII Adult Riders on fb, and Flying Changes Magazine online.

We were jumpers before we moved up here and now the hubby is hardcore into eventing! (I'm currently a horribly paid groom for him- :roll: )

Welcome!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!