The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Default Myler comfort snaffle with hook. Just using top hook?

I have a myler d-ring comfort snaffle with hooks. I was wondering about using it with just the top hooks attached and not using the hooks for the reins. I think it will have the stability of a baucher if I use it like this.

Has anyone tried this?

Back story. Young horse just started. VERY uncomfortable in happy mouth snaffle as well as thinner double jointed eggbutt with lozenge. Opening mouth, fussing with bit. Constantly. And this was just in hand! Threw the myler on her and she immediately stopped fussing. I looked in her mouth and her tongue is HUGE. The other bits were pushing into the top of her mouth.
    Last edited by Stacie; May. 10, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I've not heard of anyone trying it that way, but give it a shot. I would also imagine that it would work in a fashion similar to a Baucher.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I used it both that way and just attaching it like normal (cheekpiece and reins attached between the hooks) when playing find-the-right-bit for my horse. Worked fine, just not the right bit for him. FYI, he wound up in a happy mouth w/ roller.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"