The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favourite boots for dressage (for the horse)

As the title says what are your preferred leg protection and if its boots what kind.

Pelham-Ascotts!

I tend to just use polos. . . . sometimes the Professional's Choice sport boots.

I wouldn't mind some advice about cooler leg protection for those warmer, muggier evenings. . . . what can you put on your horses' legs that won't create too much heat? Sometimes, I just ride the horse with bare legs because I worry about this.

Has anyone ever tried the Ecogold boots? I've been eyeing them for a while, since I LOVE their pads.

Where I live I don't worry about too much heat most of the time. I have been drooling over the veredus piaffe boots. But not sure they are worth the $$ but they sure are pretty.

DSB2s all the way.

Toklat Valena boots with the sheepskin insides (woolback is what they call it):
    http://www.windgatesaddlery.com/Vale...s_p/eq-453.htm

Thick, soft protection keeps the dirt/dust off their legs and protects from interference. Nice range of sizes to fit big & little ones. I find these to be tough boots - I come from eventer land and use them for everyday schooling (yes, even cross country). We use them hacking and have been shocked at how quickly they dry and drain out water after we have crossed water, without any slipping! Other big plus is that the natural wool material keeps their legs cool and much less sweaty than any neoprene based boot I've tried.

Now if I can only convince the company to make them with a kevlar type material on the outside to turn them into more of a true brushing boot I will be thrilled!!

For a long time, I used the cheap Intec Adelaide boots, they hold up really well and wash easily. They are not super thick but they provide enough protection for the once in a while misstep. For the price, they are great.

Last time I went to get new ones, the store didn't have the size I needed so I got DSB2's instead. They were double the price, but feel much sturdier and like they'd offer more protection. I definitely like the fleece in them better (I think it's real vs synthetic) and the legs do seem to stay cooler compared to regular polo wraps, but the rest of the boot started falling apart within about a month!! All the binding is falling off the bottom of the boot, and the neoprene and whatnot that's inside is coming out (and my horses do not interfere with each step or anything like that). I was really disappointed with the quality for the price. If I ever go with this brand again, I think I'd get the DSB's (original) instead of the DSB2's.

If cost is an issue, the Intec's will get the job done and are about $30 a pair. Otherwise, next time I will be trying Valena boots suggested above, those look great!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

Just purchased a pair of the Ecogold Dressage boots. I've only used them a couple of times but they are leaning toward being my favorite! The are light, fit well and the leg doesn't seem to sweat as much under them. I haven't had them long enough to see how they hold up or how they do in the laundry but time will tell.

N.E.W Brushing Boot 'Lite' are fantastic if you ride outside - much easier cleanup than the woof version, non-neoprene, hold zero water (which I can't say about the woofs or pro choice or thinlines).

I looked at the DSB's & the DSB2's but was not impressed with the construction of either (I've read similar posts to GallantGesture's) & I've seen how nasty that "fleece" lining gets in outdoor sand arenas (every one selling these style of lined boots admitted I'd hate the cleanup under wet, sloppy sand conditions).

Eskadron's climatex are what I've seen recommended for hot weather - finally ordered a pair ... (the knock off's do not get as good reviews).

For dressage schooling I usually just use polos, but if I'm lazy I use my woof brushing boots, or even my open fronts.

I've never had issues with them holding in heat, as others have said, even in a really hot/muggy Arkansas summer.
    Stormy Blues - American Paint Horse Mare
    Westwood Warrier - Irish Sport Horse Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by cadance View Post
    DSB2s all the way.

Great protection, easy on, machine wash/dry. What's not to love?
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

prof choice elite boots (all 4) and classic equine bell boots (front). my horse is a big mover so he tends to really hit his front legs with his back legs. Splint/DSB boots do not protect the back of the leg enough for me.

On other horses that did not knock themselves I used mainly polos or nothing, depending on the footing and what we were doing.

Equilibrium Stretch & Flex flatwork wraps.

Light, cool, and easy to put on.

I just got a set of Ecogold boots and am very happy with them. I love that they have no neoprene. Around here there are way too many weeds with nasty awns so fleece is out (unless you never set foot out of the arena).

They work well...no sand inside and they washed up very nicely. Legs much cooler with less sweat than with neoprene boots.

I've had the Equilibrium boots and although I preferred them to the fleece lined DSB they didn't hold up for very long. I feel the Ecogolds have more strike protection but since I just got them, the jury will still be out on durability.

Susan

I love the Ecogold boots, and they're a really good price. They're the only boots I feel comfortable using when it's really hot.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post

I have been looking at those. I like how light and nicely supportive they look. However my mare is a bit of a silly thing and has very little self preservation when she has a moment. I think I want strike protection. I might get a pair of the wraps for my other horses. They aren't nearly so silly.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post

These. I really like that the legs are not warm when I take the boots off. I used to use the DSB2's with the sheepskin type lining, but did not like how much sand would be in the boots when I took them off.

Only downside to the Equilibriums is that they don't seem to tolerate a washing machine well. Even in a front loader on gentle, the stitching disinigrated on a pair in less than a year, and I don't wash them all that often. Now I will hose them off occasionally and just leave out to dry.