The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

AMEN and ALLELUHA (where's that spell check???)
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

One more from me!

Some one said something about poorly run shows... On Memorial Day this year I took some of my customers and a schoolie for me to a Combined Test. It was possibly the worst show I have EVER been to! At 11:30, I asked someone at the secretary stand when the first division of clear round jumping would start, and she said "what ever it said in the program", and when I pointed out that that was 11:00 and that there were still 20 people walking the course, all I got was a blank stare! They also lost at least 2 dressage tests between the judges and the secretary, there were 2 #196's, I missed a whole division of clear round due to the complete lack of announcing, there's more but you get the idea. Yeesh, the whole thing nearly put me off CT's in general. I'll stick to h/j shows for now.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Ya mean like a garbage truck Flash44? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Flash, now that would've been toooo funny!!!

Portia...your comments about flagging jumps would be a great idea to borrow from the event world. But come on do you really think it would do any good??? If riders are having trouble riding left stirrup-to-left stirrup what makes you think that these same riders will be able to figure out a flagged jump!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    My biggest pet peeve is stupid trainers!!! We could all be trainers if all it took was sitting on a fence and saying "heels down."
    And I really hate trainers who yell at there riders. Show a little class, your in public.
    I also want to ad and Anti-pet peeve... I give tanks and much respect for my trainer who will school later than normal with us before a show to avoid the rush hour... or better yet politely call another trainer out for not sharing the ring. My trainer can do it with such grace and finesse the ring hogs never know what hit them.
    I think a lot of school ring rpoblems would be solved by having more people learn about proper ring proceedures. The confusion of calling "outside" and "inside" is quickly eliminated when everyone agrees to pass left to left. I also think it would help if more people learned to ride in a group. I love a private lesson... but there is nothing worse than a rider who is so scared and in experienced at group riding that they have to hog the arena for their personal comfort. I never understood why people can ride in a big flat class at the walk trot and canter without killing others. But ask them to do it in a schooling ring and they forget everything.
    Last may I went to a hunter trial....there was a hunt class..which many of you know tests you on your knowledge of hunt ettiquetee (Sp). maybe there needs to be a schooling ring class. It would certainly not be a dull class... might break up the monotony of all those flat classes!!!!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

LOL- Thats kinda funny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Just how smaller coined phrases differ from farm to farm. Like you called it left stirrup to left stirrup. I've always said Left Should-to -Left Shoulder.. Funny little things like that... and yes.,. Iam suffering from severe sleep deperevation ( AND have to take my SSAT's tommorow Am- augh!) so I am being salightly off the wall.

Okay, here goes

My Pet Peeves, in no particular order:

- People who buy million-dollar horses/ponies and show them in smaller divisions where they will easily clean up (e.g., showing a successful 3'6 horse in the 2'6 divisions)

- 3'6 riders who use the 3' divisions "as their warm up" and thus leave no placings for the actual 3' riders

- People who exchange their horses like people trade in cars

- People who blame their mounts and/or make excuses for their lack of show ring success

- People who just "sit there" - passive riders who could not ride anything that isn't a packer (and sometimes cannot even handle those LOL)

- People who brag, especially those who aren't even any good

- Parents who tell their kids how great they are when they aren't and thus give them unrealistic expectations.

- People who ride that don't really love horses

- People who freak out anytime their horse does anything short of perfection

- People who won't "own" their mistakes and shortcomings

- People at tiny schooling shows who think they are Olympic level

- People who need constant hand-holding
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and have been enjoying perusing the forums since I discovered them on Christmas. I don't want my first post to peg me as a grinch, but it's too appealing to pass up an opportunity to air some pet peeves...

like, little kids with custom tall boots and chaps; riders who get on and don't let their horses stretch out before yanking them into "frame"; juniors with numerous fancy horses who don't even like to ride ...

Now, Stephanie that is a good one. There are tons of juniors who have three or more horses and they HATE to ride. . . What is up w/ that, they could always save mommy and daddy a couple of bucks if they would dismount and sale the horses.

Stephanie, your pet peeve about the little kids in custom tall boots is shared by George Morris...did you catch his latest Jumping Clinic column where he says "The recent trend of sticking small children into tiny, custom-made tall boots just smacks of nouveau riche snobbery." So true!

I also agree with those of you who hate it when barns leave their ribbons in a pile in the tack room. When I was at a show over Memorial Day, I had a great overall show, but only ended up with one of those brown ribbons, but was happy to have it. After the grand prix was over and the showgrounds were pretty much deserted, we went back to the barns to load up our horses, and on the ground, in the barn next to ours was a huge pile of ribbons...all colors. They didn't even bother to throw them into the tack room, they were just in the aisle. I mean, geez...there was a trash can nearby that they could have easily thrown them in, but no, they threw them right in the aisle.

Also, like most of you, I was wondering what is up with the cell phones? Sheesh...more than once I've been warming up in the warm-up arena, and some trainer has been on their horse, walking around and talking on the cell phone! It's like they want to portray some image that they are working on closing some critical horse deal or something.

Finally, my biggest pet peeve is people who whine about their horse and blame the horse for everything, especially kids whose parents pay the bills. I bet they'd appreciate their horse and their lessons a whole lot more if they had to fork over the bucks to pay for it all. I'm not talking about all kids, just the ones who do nothing but complain. If you don't enjoy riding, then QUIT and save your parents a lot of money!

Michelle

My "little kid" in off the rack tall boots is 10 and he had to go to the taller boot because his legs were getting nasty sores from abrasion on them. Sometimes there is a reason for what appears to be affected behavior. Sorry George, if you care to peel the jodphers off taking with them a layer of skin while listening to your child howl and complain, then you might consider tall boots too.

You can wear elastics under your breeches/jodphurs to prevent rubs.

But you don't have the grip you have with boots.

You know that a lot is individual need. One daughter with very long skinny legs and large feet couldn't find a pair of jodphurs that would even fit. They were so baggy that they did give blisters. My other daughter had a nice normal leg and she never rode in ponies, but I do remember when she was in maiden people saying "that girl, the one without the custom boots".

Some of this is our fault.

On the subject of tall boots...

I wear an 8 slim in boots and they dont fit at all in the calf, they hang off! Like my parents are goin to get me customs...Haha yeah right! Its so dumb, they say that long, thin legs are the best for riding and yet THEY MAKE NO EQUIPMENT THAT FITS ME! I wear a 26L in Tailored Sportsmen and they're almost too short! I have the exact same problem w/ chaps, right now I'm riding in a kids 16 that fit me great in the legs but my jeans hang down about 2 1/2 inches below them! I'm probably going to get some custom chaps for my birthday because the off-the-rack chaps that fit me length-wise are HUGE in the leg!

Also, the kids (and adults) w/ their custom clothes and million dollar horses who couldnt get my horse over a jump much less to do a flyin change! And yet, they think they're "God's gift to horses!"

My pet peeve is at dressage shows when horse/rider combination hasn't done well in the test, they go back to the warmup area and proceed to just school the h*** out of the horse. By then it is pointless.....I see it so much at the upper levels....so sad....... :-(

Bethe - we see it in the hunters, too. Round and round jumping their horses to death. shudder....
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Weatherford------trying to remember when I last competed at a hunter/jumper affair. I go and watch but stay away from the collecting ring.

If horse/rider combination is not ready to ride that particular dressage test or jump that particular course of fences, then why are they there? Especially if it's a sanctioned show by AHSA or USDF or both? Schooling the horse to death "t'ain't" going to improve the performance before or after the class. The homework (schooling) should have been done at home. I know there are times when the green horse and green rider has to make their debut and that can be quite traumatic for both horse and rider, but can't one use schooling shows for that?

Oh well, live and learn I guess. ;-)

That's why one of my pet revisions is to if not eliminate then restrict schooling at hunter/jumper shows.

I think all those people who have imposed the multi-day division on us to "save" the horse should rethink the process.

We competed in Canada a few years ago and there was a schooling steward who actually kept track of fences jumped. For an entire week, you were permitted exactly 30 fences to school. That was where you rode a horse drawn out of a fish bowl. In other words a horse you had never ridden before.

1# Oh i've got one. We have a rich D/Q at my barn, and you know what she did to out do everyone that gave my trainer a Xmas gift. She gave her a plane ticket to anywhere she wanted to go. I mean pleasssssssse.

2# huge kids or trainers on tiny ponies. Sometimes they need to be schooled, but you don't need to put your humpity dumpity trainer one the pooor things back.

3# posted orders of go should be listened to, and if your not at the gate then you don't go at all.

4# Waiting, waiting, waiting, for that hack class to start.

5# Why is that short stirrup kid schooling in the jumper warmup area? We don't need little kid road kill in the warmup rings.

6# dogs peeing and crapping on everything. Tack trucks, tack rooms, barn aisels, you name it. It's just a big old toilet for the dogs.

7# could you adleast get my name right just once mister annoucer?

8# Can't these parents find a babysitter for the herd of brats?

9# Is there a groom out there that can speak a word of english?

10# I'm still waiting for the trailer to pick my horse up from the show!!!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!