The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

What's with all the radios/cell phones on the belts in the ring???????????? It can't wait 90 seconds 'till the round is over or is it a statement about just how IMPORTANT these people are??
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Oh, I have to admit I am pro the walky talky thing, and cell phones. My mom always has her phone with her, and a bunch of us cary a connecting walky talky with us, its saved me so many times. Calling dad to have him grab something before he leaves the hotel, calling back to the stables and havign someone run a forgotten number up to the ringside, or the necessary crop that we left, or something to that variation, it makes life 100 times easier. So I am very pro cell phones, and walky-talky's. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Jumphigh, another agreement [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Hate to see those ribbons thrown on the ground!!! You're right, many would be ecstatic over an 8th. If it means that little, then they should just stay home!

We could invoke the FEI rule, no electronic devices allowed in the ring....

Have always wanted to run a little electrical charge thru the cells,pagers etc when people are wearing them in the ring [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].If they want them that badly, then they too should find another hobbie.

Whine, Whine, Whine. . . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You guys crack me up.

[This message has been edited by SillyRider (edited 12-06-1999).]

Converse converse converse..what is with you silly rider? Can't vent alittle without being labeled?

Silly probably leaves her ribbons and garbage because with all the electronics on her she can't bend over to pick it all up, or maybe shes busy longing "Tornado" in the schooling area on her golfcart loaded with 6 unleashed jackrats and can't make it to the payphones to make her calls.

No, not exactly.

I will admit some of the "pet peeves" are good safety issues/points more than they are "pet peeves".

Jump I know you are venting and if it makes everyone feel better keep on venting [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (but, I never labeled).

Again, you guys crack me up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. . . Keep on venting. . .

[This message has been edited by SillyRider (edited 12-07-1999).]

Have to agree with TbHunter as to poorly run shows being one of my pet peeves. Recently went to a show where the one ring didn't start until 9am (was supposed to start at 8am) and then they spent a hour (not exaggerating - I actually timed it) schooling a handful of small/med childrens hunter ponies. It's no wonder they couldn't finish before we lost daylight.

LOL- You guys are so bad- I think Silly was just kidding around a bit *G*

And anyhow.. I am enjoying this post thoroughly!

I also have a problem with people riding with a cell phone attached to their belt. All it takes is one trip, stumble, or spook and that phone could become a permanent part of your spine.

On a lighter note, I heard that someone's phone started ringing during the jump off in a grand prix! What was he going to do, answer it??? If he had, he would have had a lot of time faults!!!

Kevin Babington...he told them he was "busy"..I think it was during the pinning of the GP of NY

When i go to a show, it is to relax (ha ha) and enjoy myself. the last thing I want is to be attached to a cell phone or beeper.

LOl- OK, my pro cell phone meant having it somewhere nearby, I don't ride w/ it on!! I meant like having mom have one, or somethignt o that extent [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

OK - My biggest Pet Peeve is TRAINER CONFLICTS. How many hours have you waited for the under saddle because one or two riders need to finish up their jumping round - and their trainer is no where to be found. I know that a trainer can not be at different places at the same time, but something needs to be done about it, for the sake of the trainers and the riders waiting around.

Another Pet Peeve, that is not as big, is when riders do not want to go first in the show ring. Have you ever seen three or four horses, riders, and trainers waiting around to go second? Why won't they go first? After the first rider goes in the ring, then everyone else want to go. I can not even count how many times I have gone first. I actually enjoy it, because I can put my horse away before the undersaddle (waiting around for the riders who have trainer conflicts).

Maybe going first will take care of the trainer conflict problem?????

I know one occassion when I was "on-call" for work and didn't want to stay home from a show on the 1-2% chance of getting called. And since I had such a perfect gentleman steed, I NEVER had a groom with me, so I did have to wear my beeper into the ring. And I did leave it on audible because I was afraid I'd miss the vibrate signal. But I did wait until I was out of the ring to call in.

And my big petpeeve also are the riders who can not do anything without their trainers....

Ohmigod, that would be so funny if you had your beeper on and you were in an eq class and had to back and your beeper went off just as you started backing. Would you get extra points for sound effects?

Another one is people who don't show up when their number is called ... and called ... and called. I had a trainer nearly punch me a few years ago when I got roped in as the announcer at an unrated show at our barn (never a good idea to give me a mike as I wil start hamming it up). Anyhow, when one of the kids didn't show up despite having her number/name called several times, plus trainer's name, I gave her a two minute call. They were taking their time warming up over and over. Kid had just been in the class prior, so they were really belaboring the point. At the one minute call, I said I'd scratch her if she didn't turn up. 30 second call. Half a minute later I scratched her.

Five minutes after that, when her highness the trainer deigned to grace us with her presence, she proceeded to give a wonderful demonstration of her command of the Not For Publication English language. I'm sure she pulls the same stunt over and over to this day, but it felt REALLY good.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Flash!! That is too funny. I just about fell out of my chair with the imagery!

I have more pet peeves than it is physically possible to list. But it is nice to know there are others with similar viewpoints.

I must agree that people who refuse to go first bug me. I'm always the first one to jump in and say I'll go first just to get things moving, the only time I won't do it is if I havn't warmed up or I'm worried about a line or the course. The phone thing just makes me laugh. What I really hate about horse shows is when the ring master tells you to be there in 45 mins ready to go, and you sit there for an hour and a half. URGH> Nothing agrivates me more then the rude, pushy trainers who take over the schooling ring, taking down fences your using and letting their kids run all over everyone else. Manners people. But I do think some of the stuff you guys are posting is hilarious, but true.

Primo-expensive ponies cleaning up in backwoods A shows, year after year, same rider, same shows, same results. I just don't get why they bother.

Primo-expensive ponies who are so mechanical and nasty that they actually pin their ears and bite at you should you get too close--oh, and have to be ridden in two sets of spurs.

Trainers who don't train, but merely jump, jump, jump (including during schooling at shows) because a decent hunter-type can learn to its job through sheer repetition.

"Trainers" whose horses WIN even though all they've done is jump, jump, jump.

"Trainers" who can't tell a shoulder-in from a leg-yield and can't explain anything more complicated than "keep your heels down."

Non-functional--but pretty--riders.

Non-functional--but pretty--trainers, especially the guys. (I mean, heck, I could put up with the non-functional part figuratively, but literally? Such a disappointment!)
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.