The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    \"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Have to agree with deerie..loose dogs and people who HAVE to bring their dogs to the barn, so all of us can enjoy them, NOT!

Children driving golf carts at shows, HELLO...does the word liability mean anything to you?

Schooling rings, where some idiot is flying around out of control, and people are scattering for self preservation...

That golf cart thing makes me sick. I am pretty much over it, and agree with everyone else here.

I see NO reason for 13 yr olds...or even 16 yr olds to be driving around on these things.

Someone is going to get hurt...especially at Palm Beach. (one golf cart per exhibitor, and spectator must be the rule there) And I just pray it isnt me!

My husband and I were there over Thanks- giving...watching a show...there were MORE golf carts than spectators.

We have no DQ's at my barn...but in our area it seems they all go to "their" barns and the rest of us to to "ours!"

Well, I guess most of you are not old enough to remember when there was No Schooling in any ring once the show started. You could school if you got there before 7:30 AM, and then that was never in the jumper ring or the equitation ring.

Yep! those old horses who "weren't as good" as the hunters today went cold turkey. The kids in the Medal Classes all went cold turkey! And, can you imagine such a thing you didn't get to show at an A Show unless your horse "if you had a horse" could jump 3'6". No pre-green baby hunters, no puddle jumpers
    and occasionally a "local" hunter which was really local.

Horrors! what a primitive concept.

All the damage to the horses that is being used as the excuse for all the ridiculous rules happens in schooling. So why screw up the show and competition, let's just stop the schooling. Maybe that's why in those days the horses didn't need drugs as much as they do today. And, maybe the work was done at home to condition and train because there was no schooling. I'm not sure what the reason is, but I'd be willing to give it a try. We don't permit schooling for the Medal Classes at our shows after 7:30AM. They live!

[This message has been edited by Snowbird (edited 12-05-1999).]

Okay Yall want to know my pet peeves?
    1.I hate.. absolutly HATE when people when a simple ribbion and then show it off to everyone who will listen!
    2. People who are "trainers pets". I know a girl who has sleep overs at her trainers house, gives her massages and even brushes her hair. Its pathetic really but it drives me nuts!
    3. SHOW MOMS drive me patheticly crazy... the brag and Brag and Brag. There daughter is the top of the world and then they put down everyone else in their daughters class. they think they know everything and then takes the trainers possition and schools her daughter while in the ring.. WHILE THE TRAINERS THERE! I once saw my trainer ask a mom to remove herself from the ring because she was upseting the exibators. Im sorry but SOME show moms make me CRINGE when I think of them.
    About the golf carts.. when I was yonger show in Chicago we drove around the golf carts and honestly if a child is a good responsible kid you shouldnt judge them on there age.

Another one: Those barns that just leave their ribbons in the disgusting pile of garbage that WAS their tackroom. If you want to toss them, at least take them home and toss them..What an insult to the horse show and those who are trying to get just one brown ribbon that they would cherish forever. That is SO classless and arrogant.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Has anyone noticed that today's younger folks are really - and I mean REALLY - functionally illiterate as far as spelling goes.........?

I was told that it was a national crisis, I see now for myself that it is true.

I guess that is a pet peeve of mine of sorts....

>>>Does anyone else ever see these two things?<<<
    I see it when a kid is schooling another kid's pony for them, and when they don't have a large pony or horse to ride. There's a girl where I ride that school's short stirrup kids' ponies; she's 5'6" and the ponies are mediums...

My pet peeves are people who pull (on the reins -to stop for example), and people who bounce rather than going in modified 3-point to save the horse's sensitive back until they can sit to the gait. (Also people who throw tack onto the horse and generally aren't sensitive to the horse -tighten the girth way too fast, etc. -mostly beginners and camp kids; makes riding school horses a pain).
    People who ignore you because A they're ignoring you or B they don't know what you mean, when you call "outside" or "inside" in a warmup ring.

LOL- You guys crack me up. And who ever made the spelling comment (memory- not my strong point) Its not chronic- I happen to be a very very good speller. In my opinion, its something your born with, or not. Its merely an ability. You can learn to spell words correctly, but you are born with an almost gut instinct of the appropriate spellings. Often my problem is my brain works too fast for my hands, so I get hazardous typo's all over [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And- ARGH!! Golf carts with 10 year olds are even at the shows!! Sure, there are rules that you need to be a liscensed driver, but its not inforced. Bugs me too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But I don't really have any huge pet peeves. Stupid people in schooling rings, or people who don't use common sense in potentially dangerous situations- boy do I have a woosey of a story about stupid people at horse shows.. But don't have the time just now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

But more than anything else, it makes me want to cry when I see people pounding their horses into the ground, or doing 6 divisions a day, or pumping them with Bute, and other misc. drugs- Just so we can clinch the championship in out 10th division of the week!!

Cruelty is so unnacceptable, yet its common practice. Makes me sick. And to each his own- but personally, if you abuse animals, you are, and never will be a friend of mine.

Personally, it takes away all qualifications of yours to be classified as a human- or your right to any respect or dignity.

Ok, I have babbled plenty.
    Becca

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Snowbird, I remember those days very well. And feel the horses were brighter and we had more fun showing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My reply has to do with schooling... One of the most terrifying show ordeals in my LIFE happened to me about a month ago at the local circuit's year-end show. I was schooling my nice, sane Childrens' hunter over a 3' line and adding the first time through to warm him up. Being the good schooling ring rider I am (hehehe) I called "heads up-outside line", etc. etc. But of COURSE, here comes a trainer who jacks the oxer up to 3'6" while I'm landing off the vertical. Of course. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] So here I am, on an adding 3' pace, fast approaching a 3'6" oxer that wasn't there 30 seconds ago. :: Luckily McCartney's such a saint... I just supported him and up we went over the very traumatic oxer, only to be run into by this psycho lady who thinks she runs the schooling ring. (This woman should be expelled from the show circuit until she understands and can apply "Heads up", "Left hand to Left hand", and the like) Ohhh, local show schooling is just TOO much fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ashleigh

Me, too, Snowbird.

And I really don't understand why schooling is such a necessity these days (except at the big shows where it brings in big bucks). Schooling should be done at home...(Oh, that's right, no one stays home any more!)
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

What?? School at home?? Like we did yesterday?? Without a professional present?? Heresey!!! ;-)

I have to agree, what's the fascination / obsession with schooling? You're not allowed to school at C/T events, or for jumpers. I'm not even sure you should be allowed to hack around in a jumper ring. Once heard a trainer advise his kids "you'd better show them all the jumps, or you won't get over any of them". Some jumpers.

Could you imagine how much time we'd save at shows if all the riders were allowed to do was walk the course? Not to mention how many wrecks could be avoided?

Golf carts, loose dogs, uncontrollable horses in schooling areas, oblivious riders... And we still manage to have fun despite all these, uh, diversions.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

Worse than golf carts -- three-wheeler off road bikes or whatever they're called. We have some trainers in our area who use them instead of golf carts, and who let the kids drive them. At least the golf carts are relatively quiet!

Whatever happened to the old practice (at least in CT) of just packing a bicycle to get from one distant spot to another?

[This message has been edited by Portia (edited 12-06-1999).]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I wholeheartedly agree with all of these pet peeves, and I have plenty more....But my biggest pet peeve is CELL PHONES. I understand if a parent needs one for business purposes or someone is expecting an important call but what is up with these riders/trainer all wearing them attached to their breeches even when they ride. I have a cell phone in case the van breaks down or to call home and check in with the barn, but I don't do it at the in-gate!

Well, Portia, I have a problem with oversized, out of shape, over 40 bicyclers who really need training wheels and who never ride except at that one or two very big shows where, once they find their precarious balance, realize that speed is really fun and go flying around slightly out of control...
    (Now maybe there is only one of these types out there... she promises to practice riding her bike at least once before the big shows this year....<g> )

But, seriously, bikes beat mopeds and golfcarts and the like any day! ( I even plan to get baskets and carying cases this year, and I promise to get my brakes checked, too. <g> )
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I helped out at a polo barn last summer and what drove me crazy were the people who expected you to pick-up after them, didn't think it was their responsibility to clean tack or roll the leg wraps they used.

Even worse are those who put their horses' comfort second to their own. One kid would complain he was hot and tired after his chukka so he'd throw the heaving, dripping pony in the stall and plop himself in front of the fan. You had to yell at him to take care of the pony. He talked back to the owner about it once and now he's banned from our club [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Everyone is happier, the lost money was worth it! You really don't have to put up with that crap.

Weatherford - LOLOL!
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Not only do we CT'ers not "school" but we have limitations on warmup times--most places won't let you into the official warm-up rinf until a half-hour before your ride time. Frankly, with most of the event horses I have ridden you couldn't PAY ME ENOUGH to "school"--we are constantly trying to get away from the other horses--not go into a ring packed to the eyeballs with them--and you all jump in every direction too--that was a stunner (our warmup jumps can be jumped one way and one way only--you jump something the wrong way and an official sees you you are eliminated). I went to one hunter show with a greenie--and that was the last time--I take enough risks on cross-country I don't need to be killed in a damn ring!

My biggest pet peeve is poorly run horse shows with disorganized people running it! This is mostly teh schooling shows i go to not the rated ones, but i must admit that people that think back to back trips are a bad idea or that posting an order of go is not important are dead wrong...i hate waiting around just to take my second course, and i hate it when im in line and people try to "cut" me in line (and have the time it is adults or pros) how annoying is it, they dont even say excuse me or give an excuse as to why they have to go first, they just barge in like they own the place, how disrespectful! Also!! Once i went to a show with a very green pony and every time i went into the ring to jump my course, they would go to the ingate and staple the "Real" course over the one they posted and they would call for me to stop and exit the ring and learn the new course...how confusing and unfair for the ponies first show experience!! I was so angry, i love to go first and i was punished at that one, it happened to me like 4 times!! Oh well...I also hate it when horse show grounds dont provide enough stabling or promise stabling then overbook, and im left hanging on to the 3 horses im showing allllll day until my classes, then my unexperienced parents get to take over! While im involved in this heated discussion, let me add one more time that kids my age that show ponies or horses in my divisions and have parents and grooms doing everything for them! My question is where are they in between their classes? what do they do while im watching my friends and cheering on fellow competitors and taking care of my mounts, and getting ready for my classes by myself? What do they do with themselves? ide be bored to death [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ok most of this doesn make sense to anyone probably ill stop beating this one to death!
    \"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.\" -Thomas Jefferson

Oh, Heather, you're so right about having flagged warm up fences! If there's one thing I would pray be adopted from CT in the jumper ring, it's having flagged fences that can only be jumped with "red on right," and have a TD there to enforce it. (I still remember the ONE time I jumped a fence the wrong direction in the warm-up ring at a horse trials. I wasn't eliminated because I was obviously green, but boy did I have to apologize and beg forgiveness from the TD and my trainer!)