The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Place To Sell Saddles and Pricing Help

I have two dressage saddles that I'm finally getting around to selling. One is a custom Verhan Odyssey I had made several years ago for a horse that has since passed. The other is a Tudor dressage saddle that I purchased after the Verhan. Both saddles are in brand new condition and although I paid quite a bit for each saddle, I would like to price them appropriately so they actually sell. I briefly tried putting up fliers at the local feed/tack store, but there is a limited dressage market where I live. And I don't think the local Craigslist would work since this is the land of farming equipment and western saddles. So, where should I list these saddles and what is a reasonable price tag for them? A percentage of retail? A percentage of what I paid?

Thanks for your help.

Based on my experience, Ebay or Fine Used Saddles are probably the two best places.

If you are going to sell them on ebay and how to set the price, there are several things that come into play: you need to know what are they going for on the market....do a google search and price compare. Take into consideration the condition, and how common the sizes are and how quickly you want to unload it and what you can stand to lose or make. A lot of work can go into selling it yourself. Ebay takes a % of the sale. I've sold two saddles on ebay and about to sell another.

http://www.fineusedsaddles.com/

She does most of the work for you for a 20% commission including photos and managing the trials. I don't know how she sets the price, but I am sure she would be willing to take your saddles on consignment.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

www.pelham-saddlery.com

Read the page on trade in/consignment.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I had a great experience with Fine Used Saddles.

Very professional and great to work with.

Post on tack trader and dressage star web sites. Both are free or close to it, but best if you have a good picture of them. Put as much info and measurements as you can.

Re pricing, best suggestion I have is to search both of these sites and others to see what comps you can come up w/. (Dressage Star has 8 verhans listed, but you have to type the brand in the search box) Also might contact the two companies and see if they can give you an idea. Finally when you contact pelham, see if you can get an idea from them.

Edited to add: you want to list it as many places as you can online, so I'd use all the suggestions here.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Really? Pelham Saddlery? Poor customer service any time I've called them and I know others with worse experiences. I would never deal with them again. JMO

On the other hand, I love Trumbull Mountain and I know many other people who consign their saddles with them. They are wonderful to deal with and will provide you with a lot of advice when shopping (which helps with selling YOUR saddle).

My suggestion is that if you are going to consign a saddle, go with Trumbull Mountain.

Oh, and if you're going to sell on Ebay, be VERY careful! They can be very good or truly awful to sellers. Just check some reviews online. There are nightmares with them holding on to money via PayPal (which they bought). There's no one to call and contact and their contract has fine print that is 100% to their benefit in any disputes.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Oh, and if you're going to sell on Ebay, be VERY careful! They can be very good or truly awful to sellers. Just check some reviews online. There are nightmares with them holding on to money via PayPal (which they bought). There's no one to call and contact and their contract has fine print that is 100% to their benefit in any disputes.
    I use eBay a lot, have to agree, you MUST KNOW their rules (and there are a lot of them!), or you will eventually get screwed. As a buyer, I've also been screwed - combo of eBay rules and a really bad vendor (who had learned how to navigate those rules). So, if you sell by eBay - make sure you ship INSURED with TRACKING. Be very open with your description, and post plenty of pictures. On the other hand, eBay reaches a LOT of buyers, and is much less expensive then consigning.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Late getting back on this because I've been out of town. I didn't realize there were more replies in this thread - mostly because traveling for work is very close to indentured servitude for me.

I'm inclined to go with Ebay since it seems to reach a wide audience, and I've had some very bad experiences with putting saddles on consignment.

Velvet and MysticOak - can you tell me what problems you've had with Ebay/Paypal? I definitely don't want to get screwed with a saddle sale.

Thanks for your help!

I've sold several saddles on eBay and haven't had any problems, save one, which was resolved on friendly terms. That one issue was due to overseas shipping to Australia that was absolutely ridiculous and the winning bidder agreed to forego the saddle.

Take several good pictures of your saddle to document its condition, you'll have much better success with bidding if you allow a one week trial, but make sure to stipulate that it must be returned in the same condition, the pictures are to verify that its returned in the same condition. Absolutely never ship anything out without receiving payment first and require insurance on shipping. UPS packs saddles nicely and their tracking system is much better than USPS, however they do cost more, so it's up to you.

I'd wait on consignment unless you have no success with eBay. While you have the saddle on eBay, also post it on www.tacktrader.com and Craigslist. You can end an ad if the saddle is sold elsewhere. If you do end up going with consignment, I've had great experiences with www.mmtackshop.com.

Satchel85 - Thanks so much for the information. It's nice to know that someone has had good experiences selling saddles on Ebay. I've been reading horror stories about Ebay sellers getting royally screwed by PayPal.

As for allowing trials, I would be happy to...except that I have had some bad experiences allowing people to try out a saddle. I realize this may reduce the chances of someone purchasing the saddle, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

Thanks again for the information.

I have sold probably 20 saddles for people over the last year as a 'top rated seller'...all over the world. Knock on wood, I haven't had an issue yet. I take lots of photos and measurements and put it all in the listing. I do NOT offer a trial... because *I* am not a tack shop.. and price saddles for what they actually sell for on ebay.. which is normally less than a tack shop. I kinda see it as.. 'you don't get something for nothing'.. yes, it's a risk for the buyer.. but.. it's also a better price.

It is just too risky to send out a $1500+ saddle out to a complete stranger and hope that if it comes back, that it is unharmed... as ebay is NOT set up to handle that.. and as a seller, I would likely get screwed. So... just don't do it.

There are a lot of buyers out there that know exactly what they want.. and most saddles are adjustable to some extent as long as you are 'close'.

Good selling!

It is just too risky to send out a $1500+ saddle out to a complete stranger and hope that if it comes back, that it is unharmed... as ebay is NOT set up to handle that.. and as a seller, I would likely get screwed.
    This is exactly why I don't want to offer a trial.

pattir7 - Thank you for the information. I agree completely with you on selling a saddle through Ebay. And its reassuring to know that you've also had good luck selling saddles through Ebay.

Thanks so much.

Oh I totally agree! I never trialed out my saddles, but I know other people who've had a lot more success with it and I've had bidders shy away after I told them I wouldn't do a trial. I was just never willing to risk it myself though. I can see the appeal as a buyer, since it can be really difficult to fit saddles. (I'm one of those people, as I have really short legs and need a shorter flapped saddle :P )