The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Oh, man. Now I have to find time in the next few days to make a Barnes and Noble run. My vote for "Fun (but mindless) adult horse book" is "Fall", by Kai Maristad. I believe her son is/was an eq. rider, so the details are great. Loosely based on the horse killings. It was actually in stock at the bookstore when I went looking, so I imagine it would be easy to find.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." ~Mal, Firefly

Yes, BostonBanker, "Fall" _was_ pretty good, and it hardly ever gets mentioned on these books threads.
    Tinwhistle Farm

Endless Summer by Elizabeth Lowell is very good, it centers around the equestrian events of the L.A. Olympics. You should be able to find it in any bookstore.

I echo everyone else..."Jody Jaffe, PLEASE write another book!!"

I just found an old out of print paperback book called The Corinthian Class, which deals with the hunters, I just started reading it so not sure if it's any good yet!!

There's also another book called Trail of Tears I believe by Elizabeth Goudge. Horses aren't the main focus of the story but they play an important part. It's also a fairly new novel so most book stores should have it.

Thumbs up for The Lady by Anne Mccaffrey. has anyone read her Dragonrider of Pern series?? Even though not horse related they really are wonderful
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I LOVED the Dragonriders of Pern- my best college buddy turned me on to those- GREAT reads.
    I really enjoyed Riders too. Laughing at the characters I recognized!! Sam with Jody Jaffe's books. I picked right up on the trainer whose first & last names rhyme! One of my good friends tried Brenda Starr many moons ago. She IS as wonderful as the author claims. I liked the references to the trainer who is now in Camden, WAS in Davidson many moons ago. And I could picture the house in Camden where they visited with the maid. I rode on that property during my short but learning time in Camden at a farm just up the road. I think that THAT farm would have a BIG story in it itself- wayward son, dad needed to get him out of the country, drugs, theft, barn up north burning, drugs, cruelty, did I mention drugs? YES I am grinning while writing this- it could describe MANY places- no mean spirited barbs meant here!!

Cozmo -
    You should keep these in the store! I could then send my sister to purchase and send to me! I'd much rather support a reputable, small business owner, which I know you to be, than to spend $$$ at amazon.
    Incidentaly, I have to work hard not to call the rhyming name person her old rhyming name. I didn't meet her until somewhat recently - last year or two - but she is such a nice person.

Ok, Poltroon, I am thinking about it...

Meanwhile, I do have a case of RIDERS (1st Am ed, which is a large PB)...And lots of others as well.

in the out of prints - Margaret Cabell Self wrote a wonderful novel before she was married, but I do not remember the title. Also, Amory Hare Hutchinson (which is an adult novel with illustrations by CW Anderson!) (Interlibrary Loan may be the only way to go with these two.) Of course, there are tons of wonderful foxhuting novels - try Mignon Eberhart's (brain dead - forgot it)and all the Gordon Grands (in reprint right now - tho not cheap), as well as more racing one - like the books by Jon L. Breen.

More as my brain becomes more fully engaged.

I know, no advertising [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Did anyone else notice that in Jody Jaffe's second book she thanked Erin Harty (our Erin, the moderator ! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]!) in the Acknowledgements section? I just thought that was cool. I LOVE her books - especially Chestnut Mare Beware b/c I thought the part about George Morris was neat.

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

Just to add one more book--truly an adult book, but not a cheerful one is "Sweet William, a memoir of Old Horse" by John Hawkes (I think). If you buy this one buy a box of Kleenex! Best horse book I ever read.
    Boogey on dudes

GailD--that's a very good, but also very unsentimental book! Changes the way you look at things, too, at least IMHO.
    Tinwhistle Farm

LoriO, I went to Amazon.com and could not find *Endless Summer* by Elizabeth Lowell; I did, however, find *Remember Summer* by her...blurb said teenage son killed in riding accident??? Is this the one?

a very disturbing, but interesting book, especially considering the sexual abuse thread that has been running, is "house rules" by heather lewis, i think. not for the fainthearted, but sure made me think.

on a lighter note, it's interesting to me to hear that anne mcaffrey has written some horse books... when i was a kid the only science fiction-y things i liked were her "dragon riders of pern." the thing i liked best was the human characters' relationships with their dragons... must have been based on her relationships with horses. it all makes sense now...

also, did anyone ever read a book called "talking of horses" by monica dickens? it was published in the seventies, and i read it over and over as a young teenager. some of the passages i can still practically recite by heart. i'm inspired to pick it off the shelf again tonight...

Hey, if you want "FREE" library books online, try www.netlibrary.com! Just sign up and the list of online free books is huge!! I was shocked, and the classics are there, too. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

Flightcheck, sorry about that!!! That's what happens when you work the midnight shift, the brain just doesn't function right. The name of the book is Remember Summer not Endless Summer. At least I'm not the only one to make a mistake, I popped over to Amazon.com because the story line you gave didn't sound right, they have the wrong story description there!!! Although if you go furthur down the page they do have a story summary that is corret.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Finzean- Hey! I am going through the book list as of tomorrow- well - later today- I was struck by insomnia. We have a really good book supplier that has as a small part of it, an equestrian department- only 200 single spaced pages- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I am trying to build up our non- fiction & video selections, & this thread has given me a LOT of good ideas. We do have the Jaffe books & some Francis & Shoemaker. I will be looking the other titles up - so I will keep you posted! Thanks for the business & compliments!CC

Finzean- I do the same thing with the rhyming name person- I have known her since I was a kid- before she had a rhyming name! She is a great person & I am glad to see her & her new husband happy now.

For all of you who like sci-fi or fantasy books, there is a great collection of short stories about horses called "Horse Fantastic". It has horse stories by Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, and more.

I just finished Horse Of A Different Killer - excellent read! And I'm starting on Chestnut Mare Beware. I'm surprised at how many people and horses I recognized. Still waiting for In Colt Blood to come in at the book store.
    BTW, has anyone seen the previews for A&E's special this Sunday - In The Company of Horses.....airing at 8pm EST.
    One of my friends just finished reading a book about an insurance fraud investigator who specialized in horse killings...she can't remember the name - anybody?
    she swears it's not Hot Blood

[This message has been edited by finzean (edited 06-06-2000).]

I agree that Sweet William is a wonderful, if sad/bittersweet, book. I also liked Cormac MacCarthey's (spelling?) All the Pretty Horses. This is a coming-of-age novel about an adolescent boy in the west (somewhat like My Friend Flicka), but it's a grown-up book and well-written.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I had nearly forgotten ... Margaret Cabell Self's "Sky Rocket: The Story of a Little Bay Horse" is a fine read, nice and long, and unusually good. Also lovely illustrations by Sam Savitt.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

finzean, I *think* that's "Fall", by Kai Maristed, mentioned above.
    Tinwhistle Farm