The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This is Insane! News Video: Illegal Horse Race on Major Highway

Idiots! Putting these horses in harm's way as well as those driving! Video at the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18012571
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

oh, doesn't that go on a lot over there?

The entourage drives blockade, by the time the cops show up, they have the horses loaded and they are gone.

Youtube is full of those videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The drivers are gypsies aka travellers or if you really want to be rude, pikeys. Those ponies are "magikal gypsy vanners". If you want to read some train wreck threads go to the Horse and Hound UK board and do a search for gypsies or the Appleby Horse Fairs. Very entertaining reading. Those same gypsies that developed and preserved the high dollar magikal gypsy vanner are pretty much despised by horsepeople in the UK and Ireland. They are well known for pulling stunts such as this, very poor care of their horses, outright abuse/neglect of their animals, trashing other people's property and stealing what isn't nailed down. They are also known for really fancy trashy weddings.

Nothing new here. Search 'Andadura' some time on Youtube for a similar type of activity (Puerto Rican road racing). Makes my joints ache everytime I see one of those videos.

GAAAGH! There was that part where it looked like the one 'driver' was trying to execute the back fender tap on the cops car...with his horse..... *cringe* That could have gone so horribly wrong. I understand the cop was trying to impede them and get them to stop but holy carps!

Ashamed to say, I can somehow see one of my friends and I 'pimping' out our horses with neon and custom 'paint jobs' and having a 'rally'..but not THAT busy a road....and it would likely be gravel...with people on either end of the 'strip' blocking traffic....

That's just how we roll.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

First off, this was a major road, quite a dangerous road at that. Secondly these are actually not MGV's they are trotters, yes colored but not MGV's.

They are on the roads all the time in front of my house exercising but nothing like this video depicts. It's all the country could talk about this morning via radio.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

All I could think about was the poor horses feet. Can you say OUCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    All I could think about was the poor horses feet. Can you say OUCH!!
    That is what i was thinking - road founder. Must be tough little buggers.

the "blue" cart, is asking to get into an accident. If you look under the driver, you can see the rest of the rein almost get spun into the wheel several times. That will be messy to clean up.

OMG . . . I know that the drivers/horse owners are the ones to blame for putting their horses into this situation, but I kept waiting for the cop's actions to result in a horrific, gorey accident. SO dangerous for everyone on the road. I've never seen cops handle a horse crisis well.

"One man was arrested under the public order act and later released."

What?? Why not tougher sanctions?

It's a shame. how do they think if they win without such investigation.