The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

I've been working on the SAME William Boyd novel (Armadillo-really good!) for what seems like the last 4 weeks. I am so swamped with work, extra work outside of work, extra work on top of that, taking a graduate course, and getting Hobson ready to do some shows that I hardly have time to scratch my butt any more, let alone read! Waaaaaaa! I used to gallop through a couple of novels a week!

What are you guys and gals reading?

I've been working on the SAME William Boyd novel (Armadillo-really good!) for what seems like the last 4 weeks. I am so swamped with work, extra work outside of work, extra work on top of that, taking a graduate course, and getting Hobson ready to do some shows that I hardly have time to scratch my butt any more, let alone read! Waaaaaaa! I used to gallop through a couple of novels a week!

What are you guys and gals reading?

I just finished reading Beyond Eden by Catherine Coulter. I know its a cheesy romance novel, but really good. I had a hard time putting it down. I highly recommend it.

Daughter handed me "White Oleander" to read. Easy read, terribly sad.

SLW

I have just finished the best book I have ever read. The Mists of Avalon. Its such a good book. The middle gets kind of unorganized (IMO), but the idea of the book is just so intresting. The Characters are so like.. not boring. I loved it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-----
    http://www.catchride.com
    -----

I just finished "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. It was quite intense (and long), but worth the read, especially if schizophrenia and related conditions interest you. I spent many a night reading well past my bedtime.

I'm looking for other good reading suggestions as I'm embarking on a two-week vacation next month! Yahoo!! Time of my own again!! (Not that I won't miss my family, horribly, of course...) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I highly recomend "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by David Eggars. Not horsey, but a great book--some of the best sustained irony I've ever read.

Also recently read Kay Graham's memoirs, and a George Elliot novel called "Daniel Deronda." Enjoyed both very much, but then, I'm kind of a dork that way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] --Jess

I have just completed an excellent little "no thinker" book by the name of Julie and Romeo. I loved it. As well, recently finished another couple of Maeve Binchy books. So unfortunate she will no longer be writing.
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

George Carlin's "napalm & silly Putty"...after all this crisis in the world and here, I voted for mindless reading with humour!
    Just finished "rachel's holiday" a quick read, but funny/sad-Irish girl who goes to rehab for drug. Can you say "denial"....poignant, funny, quick read. Worth it...

"Wherever you go-there you are!"
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

I'm reading Fellowship of the Rings by Tolkien....I've been told by my friend that I have to read it before I'm allowed to see the movie when it comes out. Despite protesting a bit about reading it (I'm not a fantasy person at all), I'm actualy really liking it. I have around 300 more pages to get done by Dec 19. Wish me luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

A biography of the Art Deco artist Tamara Lempicka. Fascinating!

A book about the explosion aboard the USS Iowa, and the subsequent cover up.

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Didn't like it as well as the Great Gatsby.

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (one of my favorite authors of all time)

The Brimstone Wedding, a novel of suspense by Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell.

I am dying to read:
    Seabiscuit
    the book by Steven Ambrose that Band of Brothers was based on. Any input on either would be most appreciated!

Maeve Binchey stopped writing?? Did she pass away and I didn't hear about it? She is one of my alltime favorites along with Anne Rivers Siddons.

I just started "Scarlet Feather" last night.

A very good read even if you're not a horsey person. It was amazing to know the history of this horse and the men surrounding it. Some of the stories about what the jockeys go through to make weight on a daily basis were pretty interesting also. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

"May the happiest days of your past be the saddest days of your future."
    \"May the happiest days of your past be the saddest days of your future.\"

'Growing Prosperity: The Battle for Growth With Equity in the 21st Century' by Bluestone & Harrison

'The Guilt of Nations' by Elazar Barkan

'Go Down, Moses' by William Faulkner

'Once Were Warriors' by Alan Duff

Oh wait...you said GOOD books, and these are SCHOOL books. Silly me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The scary thing is, I had to read the majority of these in the past 2 weeks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Back in the summer, before I came here and they stole all of my free time, I read and REALLY liked 'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius'

And 'Watership Down' by Richard Adams is one of my all-time favorites!

*Forget home-sickness...I'm
    HORSE-sick!!*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Never give up on something you can\'t go one day without thinking about.\" ~Albert Einstein

I am reading V.S. Naipaul's A Bend in the River and recently finished Jhumpa Lahiri's Pulitzer Prize-winning Interpreter of Maladies, which I thought 'light-weight'. Bharati Mukherjee is vastly superior - though not as well-known. Will also confess to having recently re-read Jilly Cooper's Riders. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I've been on a little Jane Smiley kick. Just finished Moo. A couple of parts of that book were so tragic (to me) that it just hurt. And then while on vacation I read 1000 Acres. I enjoyed that, I think because I lived in MN for a while and I knew "farmers wives from Iowa" so to me it was very fascinating, but it's kind of a "chick" book. Then on the flight home, I started a little Dick Francis kick. Those books are old; I didn't know about them, but I really like them. Now I'm (still) reading the new Seabiscuit book (Hillenbrand). My most favorite book of recent memory is called "I Capture the Castle" which I LOVED but the author's name....I'm drawing a blank.
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Serenade - all of those books sound interesting - the titles intrigue me. What are they about?

Have you ever read "Shardik" by Richard Adams? A strange but rather fascinating book. I couldn't make myself read the Plague Dogs.

A pretty good read in the 'Watership Down' theme, only with cats is 'Tailchaser's Song' by Tad Williams. The hero is a really cute marmalade tabby kitten. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anyone interested in English history should read some of Allison Weir's books. She has a good ability to make history read very much like a novel.

Just Jack Russells - New coffeetable book with wonderful photos and just a little text by Dusan (pronounce 'Doo-Sahn) Smetana. Kryswyn extended family alert! Your puppies' auntie Pinch is in the book along w/the Princess of Quitealot, Siren!

Best Re-read: A Portion For Foxes, Jane McIllvaine McClary

Best New Read: Middleburg Mystique by Vicky Moon

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"