The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Halters in stalls

The NBC Rock Center report on Boyd and Neville got me to thinking(always dangerous) about halters in the stalls. For some reason I cannot remember we have always removed our horses halters in the barn stalls. Some argue leave them on so you can quickly get your horses out in a fire. Is there any reason not to keep the halters on, other than chaffing, etc through constant use? Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, our horses do not crib, so we don't have that expedient method of leading them available as Boyd did.

Halters give a horse one more thing to get snagged on things and injure themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Halters give a horse one more thing to get snagged on things and injure themselves.
    This.

If you were really concerned, I'd maybe put thin leather neck collars on all of the horses, in case of fire. Less chance to snag, will break if needed, and won't chafe.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My horse wears a leather field halter in his stall. Many places require it because of fire.

There are stretches in the summer where the heat and humidity causes chaffing, and during those times, his halter is off whenever possible.

Once saw a horse who had evidently tried to scratch his head with a hind hoof and somehow the halter had slid between his hoof and the shoe in the back. When his owner came screaming for help his head had swollen (lots of pressure there) and there was no unbuckling the halter.
    It was a job cutting the halter and trying not to cut the horse.

I don't let mine wear a halter in the stall.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

This happens to foals all the time - teeny little feet, halter a bit too big.

The only time we leave on a halter is at shows when there is bad weather expected in case of emergency. We also put our phone numbers on the halters.

My childhood riding instructor had a friend whose horse broke its leg in a scenario similar to the one posted above. The halter was leather and fit properly, but for whatever reason didn't break. My horses do not wear halters when they are not being handled (or tied), period. I would not board at a barn that required it.

There are lots of things you can do to mitigate the risk of barn fire that DON'T put your horse at constant risk.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    If you were really concerned, I'd maybe put thin leather neck collars on all of the horses, in case of fire. Less chance to snag, will break if needed, and won't chafe.
    ...And make sure the horses lead off of just the collar, in all situations, if you go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    ...And make sure the horses lead off of just the collar, in all situations, if you go this route.
    Details, details.

Sorry, most definitely should've included that.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I dont leave halters on horses out in pasture or in a stall period its dangerous. I worked at a trail riding stable that left halters on hores it proved deadly. Horse got hung up and stangled it self. All my horses lead with a lead rope around neck.

I watched my friend's horse almost tear down his stall front when he reached around and caught it somehow on the latch of the sliding door. None of us leave our halters on now at our barn.
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)