The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Farrier Rant UPDATE 6-15-12

I'm going to keep this short and sweet:

Sir, I was confused when you called to tell me you won't shoe my horse anymore because he is too difficult. In the 3 1/2 years I have had this horse, not one farrier has complained about him until you, and several farriers have gushed about how good he is to shoe.

When you explained that he was good for three of four feet but "jerked away" and "threatened to kick you" when you nailed into the fourth hoof, I was skeptical.

When I arrived to find my horse completely crippled lame? Well, then I was hopping mad. And, frankly, so was he...hopping, that is...or he would be, if he wasn't lame on all four feet.

I am not sure why you used such large nails, but they clearly hurt my horse. And I'm not sure why you kept pounding nails in when it was clearly causing pain.

But thanks so much. I just got this horse sound and now he is so lame he can't trot.

I'll think it over, but I feel like I'm probably not going to pay the "extra" charge on my invoice for the "extra time spent putting shoe on."
    Last edited by FineAlready; Jun. 15, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Sounds like a hot nail to me... but you probably already know that!

We LOVE our farriers to bits and pieces. And then some more. And more. The younger of the two even snuggled with my DD for almost 20 minutes!

I've been through the ringer with farriers. One even claimed that you have to mold the HORSE'S foot to the shoe. Clever.

I wouldn't pay the extra either, and I'd be on the hunt for a new guy. Pronto.

I feel your pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Well, I'm on the hunt for a new guy no matter what, since he "fired" my horse. This was only his second time shoeing the horse, and the horse was slightly off after the first time (I thought horse was just due for stifle injections that time...).

And yeah...I'm kind of wondering if it is more than one hot nail. I'm off to check him this morning to decide if he needs his shoes flat out pulled at this point.

Yeah. Horse is so dead lame that I can't even make him trot on a lungeline without chasing him with a whip. Vet is coming out today.

I'd pull the shoes even if there isn't a hot nail. Sounds like the guy did an awful job and I'd want it fixed by a farrier you can trust right away. And not only would I not be paying the "extra" charge, I'd not be paying the initial charge either. :C

I wonder if taking a video of the horse as he is now might be a good idea. Just in case asshat decides to argue that the horse is lame. Glad you are doing right by him!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I wouldn't pay the farrier at all at this point, especially now that the vet is coming out. That's just awful.

Reason #159,165,454,159 I. LOVE. MY. FARRIER. So sorry for your poor, poor horse, OP. I hope he recovers and is made comfortable quickly.

Been there. Deep bed his stall. If you have Magic Cushion on hand, pack his feet until the vet gets there. Any heat or digital pulse? You might want to ice his feet too. I'll be interested to see what the vet says. My wonderful ex-farrier left 3mm of sole on my TB. Plus hot nails. Laminitis...the whole nine yards.

I LOVE my new farrier.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Good idea to take video. I thought of that this morning and may do it this afternoon when the vet comes.

The shoeing job *looks* fine and this is a well respected, well known farrier who has been shoeing a LONG time. I've actually used him in the past for a different horse. However, this horse is obviously in pain. And he was sound as sound can be the day before the shoeing.

I can't be sure it is the shoes until the vet comes, as this horse has had issues higher up that I have to manage (hocks, stifles, general stiffness behind). But hocks and stifles have been recently injected and the horse was going very well and just jumped lightly on Monday (was totally sound Tuesday). Now he is so lame behind that he only moves his hind feet less than a half a foot forward when forced to trot. He would really prefer to not even walk.

He had two grams of bute last night and I packed his feet with Magic Cushion. I really thought I would see some improvement, but if anything, he was much worse this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Been there. Deep bed his stall. If you have Magic Cushion on hand, pack his feet until the vet gets there. Any heat or digital pulse? You might want to ice his feet too. I'll be interested to see what the vet says. My wonderful ex-farrier left 3mm of sole on my TB. Plus hot nails. Laminitis...the whole nine yards.

I LOVE my new farrier.
    We were posting at the same time. No heat and no pulse. I'm thinking I need an x-ray of his hind feet with the shoes on? I'm very concerned that he nailed into something critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    We LOVE our farriers to bits and pieces. And then some more. And more. The younger of the two even snuggled with my DD for almost 20 minutes!
    I'm assuming DD's a baby. Or that could have been awkward.

But sympathy to you OP. That seriously sucks.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

If your horse was sound prior to the first shoeing and came up "slightly off" the next day I would have questioned the farrier's work then... not now after he fired your horse and make him lame..Sorry about that..

I happen to love my farrier.. and yes, I do consider myself quite lucky.

What did the vet end up finding?

Quote Originally Posted by lachevaline View Post
    I'm assuming DD's a baby. Or that could have been awkward.

But sympathy to you OP. That seriously sucks.
    She's almost 3 months! Very snuggle-able still.

And I'm intrested to hear what the vet says as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I have an OTTB that has some hindend and stifle issues. As time ( 2-3 years) has gone by, I started seeing him becoming terribly stiff and lame after my farrier left, and struggle to stand on 3 legs while being trimmed. I was there the whole time, and have some slight knowledge of farriery. I could see nothing that the farrier did wrong, and even noticed the problem existed when I would have the shoes left off for my horse to go barefoot.
    I began to feel that the problem was the position and holding the limbs caused physical pain in the joints or whatever the hind end problem is or exacerbated the issues. I would have to put my horse on bute for a week after trimming or shoeing, until he could move again (he either wouldn't want to walk at all or take tiny mincing steps). I have since requested that the farrier not pare any sole away, just the flakey part, and to leave the feet a bit longer than normal for going barefoot (obviously, my horse must have thin soles??), and the problem has decreased tremendously. We both find that the horse (who once stood great for trimming or shoeing) is much more cooperative, and moves more normal after being trimmed now. My Farrier gives him breaks often so as not to hold the leg too long, or may do a couple of feet and put him in his stall, do a different horse, and come back to him if he starts to show signs of discomfort. As we have watched this progression over the past couple of years, I can only think in my case that it is a physical issue in the joints and hind end, along with thin soles. He has been barefoot for the past 1 1/2 years now and does quite well, but is not ridden over rocky terrain either.

Soooo...the vet appointment was...kind of inconclusive. His entire hind end appears to be sore. He flexed sore in his left hock (which was just injected about 4 months ago...) and was just generally sore in his whole hindquarter region. All of the muscles in his butt are sore. Vet didn't think his actual hooves were really sore (though I still think it is possible that the nails are bothering him - he's a VERY sensitive horse...maddeningly so sometimes).

Vet and I both agree that his problem seems to be mostly with the right hind and that he has trouble holding up the left hind because the right hind is sore. But there is just no obvious source of the soreness. Back palpated totally normal, as did the SI region. It is SO odd, since he was probably the soundest he has ever been the day before he was shod. I mean, he really felt fantastic...and now this.

I will say that this horse is not exactly a poster child for soundness, but I had JUST gotten him going so well right before this appointment. So, Ozone, the "slightly off" after the previous farrier job wasn't that surprising, as I had already been thinking he was close to needing his stifles injected and just assumed that was the issue.

Anyway, he got Legend today, and is getting bute and robaxin for the next five days...oh, and ulcergard, since he is also ulcer prone. Sigh.

So, long story short, it probably isn't the actual farrier job that set this whole thing off. I think it probably has something to do with how this particular farrier holds his legs. What I'm most angry about is that this issue is CLEARLY physical, and the farrier acted like he was just being a jerk and/or was just innately dangerous to shoe. There was some implication that he was going to warn other farriers about him. He actually said at one point that he wasn't sure if the horse was actually in pain or just "thought he was in pain" and was "just getting mad." I witnessed the problem today and it was starkly obvious that it was physical.

Anyway, I'm going to let it go and I'm going to pay the bill without complaint. Going to try to get him out of pain and then start fresh with a new farrier. Will probably be best for everyone involved, especially the horse. Poor guy.

Renaissance Lady - that sounds so much like what I think might be going on here. Thank you for sharing your story.

change your farrier - and go here www.horseshoes.com
    plenty there and one in area no doubt

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

It is hard to find and keep a good farrier.

One of mine (I have horses in several places) came out and replaced a shoe (from another farrier's job) just the other day. I had to call him last night to say the other front shoe was sprung. He said he'd rearrange his schedule to come today & fix it. Really great guy I made him some cornmeal muffins.

He may know that I cook when he is accommodating...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng