The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HDR 5 Point breast plate sizing

Looking to buy a Henri De Rivel 5 point breastplate, so I was wondering about their sizing... do they tend to run big or small, or true to size?

They definitely run big. Mine is a horse size and it is on all of the tightest settings for my 16.1 1/2 TB/WB gelding... and still a bit too roomy on him. In regard to quality, though, t's a very nice product for the $!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

I honestly thought they ran small. I have an OTTB who has a big neck but is pretty narrow through his chest area and even an oversize on the last hole was too tight between his legs where it attaches to the girth.

It did seem like good quality though and was a decent price.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

I think they run big. I have a 17H Dutch/TB and I ordered the oversize which was too large, so exchanged it for the regular horse size which fits perfect.

Thanks guys! Glad to hear the quality is good, I was a little worried about that, but at $80 I was prepared to handle a not-so-perfect quality, but I don't have to worry about that!
    I'll need some more opinions as these were a little mixed haha

Well, I know this doesn't help much, but according to this older thread, it is possible that the sizing is a quality control issue. Some find the sizing small, some find it large...

So, my advice... absolutely invest in one, but you may want to order from somewhere with a good return policy!

Unfortunately, I didn't try mine on my horse until about 5 months after we bought it, or I probably would have tried to exchange it for a cob.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Mine seems small. My 16.1 TB mare is pretty well-muscled, but fits fine in her older horse-size Nunn Finer hunting breastplate (mid-range on the neck holes, tight on the girth strap holes). The HDR, while beautifully made for the price, sits on her neck like an old-fashioned plow collar, giving her cleavage when strapped beneath the front legs. I tried to lengthen the elastic pieces to give more room, and that helped some, but I still think it sits too forward on her neck, not nicely in the shoulder-groove. It is stamped as "horse size." My young 16.2 TB is a bit leaner and less-muscled and it is a bit small but useable on him.

I don't quite know what to do, it's too late to return it. I suppose the fit of a 5-point could be different than I imagine-- maybe it's supposed to fit tighter/higher? I keep using my old Nunn Finer (which has seen much better days) because I don't want to be too restrictive.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~