The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default African Clawed Frog?

Anyone on here happen to know about these critters?

Kids got one as part of a tadpole mail order kit. The instructions for care during the tadpole stage were pretty good, but for the frog, not so much. So I've been googling, but some of the results are conflicting. It is very clear that the African Clawed Frog is a voracious destroyer of ecosystems and therefore cannot be released into the wild. No problem. But what to feed the lil' guy? He's absorbed all but about a quarter of his tail, so he's probably going to be getting hungry soon...

Will little teeny pieces of Biljac work in lieu of chopped up earthworms?

I've had African Clawed Frogs for years. They are lovely and my Stan even eats out of my hand.

They grow very large and need at least ten gallons per frog. The tank should not be tall as much as wide, since they are aquatic but air breathers. I have Stan in a 20 gallon long with appropriate filters and places to hide. Froggie water gets very dirty so tank cleaning is important even with the filters.

When small you can feed them a frog food for babies found at pet stores. I feed Reptomin and also freeze dried krill and brine shrimp. Stan LOVES fresh fish so I will get him some feeder guppies and he is a great hunter.

Since your guy is small now brine shrimp (cubes are sold in pet stores) would be good but he'll need some vitamins. You could probably crumble up the Reptomin to make it easier for him to eat.

They eat by shoveling the food into their mouths with their "hands". It's very endearing .

You're right in that it's absolutely forbidden to release these frogs into the wild. They are very, very good hunters and not native to the US.

They will live a looong time. Stan is six years old and going strong. If your frog is a male he will mature smaller and have black liner along the inside of his front legs. Stan is about four inches long. Ollie (his friend who died last year) was a girl and was a magnificent six inches long. The boys will sing under the water.

I had no idea what these were, so I HAD to go look them up! Fascinating creatures

This site looks pretty comprehensive
    http://www.clawedfrogs.com/

It says they can live up to 30 years!

Stan will come up to the top of the tank and wave his arms around when he wants food.

We also have one and he's the source of endless fascination!

We get free snails from petsmart/petco (or any store that has fish - they are always cleaning the snails out of their tanks) and they keep his tank nice and clean!

We clean his tank twice a year (change all water, rinse all rocks and hiding places and wipe down the glass.)

We've tried to add fish and such but they can take down fish even twice their size so we gave up on that. Never heard any singing... so I'm guessing Mr. Froggy is actually a Mrs.

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    Stan will come up to the top of the tank and wave his arms around when he wants food.