The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Correlation between chestnuts and allergies?

I've noticed that a lot of horses on COTH with hive outbreaks or allergies are chestnuts(and geldings?) Anyone happen to know if this is just pure coincidence or if there is any reason that this could be due to their coat/skin color? My chestnut gelding likes to have skin allergy issues when it comes to bugs and getting clipped and sometimes just randomly it seems. :P

Or maybe I am just crazy and just happen to think that there are more chestnuts with allergies posts!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I don't have a scientific opinion, but on an anecdotal level, the only horse that I have ever owned with allergies is also the only chestnut I have ever owned.

Also, all the equine professionals I talk to about his wussy skin, hives, food allergies etc... are all like "yeah, he's a chestnut". Go figure.

Hmm, the three horses I can remember offhand as having hives were all bay. Co-boarders of mine. Two geldings, one mare.

One of my chestnut geldings was allergic to skin-so-soft.

One of my bay mares is allergic to Voltaren gel.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Pretty sure chestnut is the most commin coat color, and a majority of people choose geldings over mares if there is a choice, so it may be simply the weight of numbers.
    Click here before you buy.

my sensitive boy is grey, but was born chestnut. my chestnut mare doesn't have any allergies or anything, except that flies LOVE her legs.

I have a chestnut with no allergies. I have a grey with terrible allergies. The other horse I had with allergies was a bay.

My mare is a chestnut (well, sorrel, to be specific) and she does have allergies. My sister's chestnut TB also is prone to scratches/fungus/etc but doesn't seem to have actual allergies. My mom has a liver chestnut, and he doesn't seem to have any skin problems.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have had similar converstaions with several vets about this. All basically said the same thing that while there are no studies to support it in their experience chestnuts tend to have more skin issues in general. Obviously this does not apply to all chestnuts nor am I saying that horses of other colors don't have skin issues as well, just that is seems chestnuts can be more sensitive. I don't think it's more common in chestnut geldings vs chestnut mares though.

This also seems to be true in my personal experience. Of the 5 chestnuts I've owned over the years all but one have had skin issues. 2 had known allergies, 1 was very prone to fungus and the last is sensitive in general (has popped hives several times). Of the non-chestnuts I've owned in the same time, only one has had skin issues. He was a bay and best we could figure he was allergic to something related to leather, which was super fun