The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Star looks great.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

So Easy, our barn used to go to the Pickering Horse and Pony Show every year in April. It was held in a beautiful location with a great outside course. Probably the same place (?)

is the benefit for the Pony Club ... it used to be at Mrs. Streeters farm on Seven Oaks Road, lately is at the Ludwigs Corner Horse Show Grounds ... the Pickering Hunter Trials is a whole different thing. Put on by the Hunt to show off the field hunters, it is on one of the Detwilers farms off of Rt 113. The fence Star and I are jumping is the last or next to last of a course that is over a mile long, and includes a LONG downhill gallop across a huge field - what a rush! Longer ago, when King showed there, it was at the farm that now belongs to Harry and Marjorie Gill on Green Lane - it was then Josie Taylors place. WOW! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

These "old" pictures are soooooo much fun to see! Thank you so much for posting them! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

You get to see the stadium jumping phase of the 1971 National PC Rally - I had my B for about a month before Regional, qualified for the Regional Team (back in those days, the winning Club Team from Regional Rally went to National. Our Club Team went in 1972 to Va. and 1973 to OMAHA - where we won [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) This rally was held on the Firestones Estate in Ohio. I also just learned to drive a truck and trailer, so my mother and I loaded this mare, and my teammates appy stallion in the trailer, and drove for 6 hours. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] We had a blast back then!
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

Have ya'll checked out SoEasy's auto releases over THOSE jumps!!??? WOW!!!!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

twototango Guest

Jimmy Bonham was Max and Nancy Bonham's son. Jimmy currently lives in Las Vegas and is doing course designs and other things. Max's wife Nancy is currently in a nursing home in Camden, SC suffering from painful arthritis/osteoporosis in her back. Hopefully she will regain enough mobility to return to her home in the hunt country. Max passed away quite some time ago now.

So sorry to hear that Nancy is laid up. She was at all the big KHP shows this past summer with corgi's and shirt swatches.

I had not seen her in 20 some years (she had "Blossom" then) and I thought that she looked just great as recently as Sept..

And I am certainly impressed by SoEasy's release. This pic should go to a George Morris Clinic in PH and see what he says...
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Awesome pics, SoEasy!!!

More than likely, GM would have little georg-asms over the pics... auto releases? Be still my beating heart!!!!!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

for your kind words everyone!!

and wonderful auto release, head up and watching, perfect leg position, heels down, etc.

Hmm - do you still ride like that? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

(Do ANY of us?) LOL!

Isn't if funny how back in the early years snow fence was an icon at horse shows? I remember hooking my pony's reins on the snow fence while I ate lunch [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

and I have a question!
    This is me, early 80s at a hunter show at our barn in Chester County, PA. The horse I am riding was known as Willy - we raised him from a weanling.
    Does anyone out there recognize him? LOL

April

Do we need to think Louise Serio?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I was thinking that I have no idea about the horse, but the guy in the background sure looks like David Orlando. Then I realized Davey O would be about five then! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This is me back in the summer of 1973 at Woodstock in Vermont showing one of my Aunt's yearling Connemara ponies in hand...

I was NOT showing much and was growing like crazy. The patent leather tops on the boots were NOT a fashion statement - they were to make the boots as tall as possible (obviously NOT tall enough)!! The jacket was bought at a tag sale, but it was a lovely color - much more "in" these days than it was back then! My shirt was probably the only thing that was purchased new. I loved it. It was made of a material called Viyella - almost a silky flannely feel. LOL And I monogrammed my own choker. (Yes, I was into monograms even back then [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) And note the hair do! LOLOL Oh well. The filly won everything, so who cares, right? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Duffy,

Lovely animal! I can see that those expensive debutante lessons paid off, you have perfected the Vanna stance. I think you should start a new career as a model! Between this picture and the ones I've seen from Middleburg National and Mosby's, You could be the next "new look". Hunter Chic but Model exotic......Ask for the big bucks and don't forget me and maybe a commission....LOL

our Duffy has that look!

And I have no guesses on Willy!! It was not all that long ago that he was a top Junior Hunter! And Weatherford is right, we sold him to Derbydown/Louise Serio. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

You're sooooo sweet! Awwwww shucks! Merci Beaucoup! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The image of me flipping letters, a la Vanna, is just too intimidating, I'm afraid! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But if Monty Hall or whoever makes the call, believe me, you're first on the list for a HUGE commission! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

So Easy,

Was that Amanda Lyerly's horse Just in Time(I think that was his name)?