The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I swear the AQHA used that photo, albeit beefing up the pony a bit, as their model for a poster I got in the mid '70s. They were free from the association if you wrote in. I swear it looked just like that!!!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Weatherford, I bet your dad and my mom knew and competed agaisnt each other. Mom was riding saddlebred eq. at the same time your dad's picture was taken. She also grew up hunting with the Spring Valley Hounds (and the Essex Fox Hounds). Somehwere, buried away I have a number of pictures of her in the 30's and 40's showing hunt teams (a team of horses my grandfather bred: 3 identical ---full brothers-- bays. They won everything.)
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

One more picture -- for now, LOL.

This is Lucky Y Not who has gone on to lasting fame as the dam of the wonderful ponies, Lucky Me and Lucky Too (and another one which does not have "Lucky" in the name, as I recall). She was about five in this picture and still very much a deep rose gray. Anyone who knew her in her later years will only remember a white horse (evidently). But when we sold her, she was still very pink.

Does anyone know the "Lucky" ponies? do they look like their mom?

Taken in the late '60's at Eastern States. PLEASE forgive the boots. It was during my freshman year at Smith and I had gained weight.... When it came time to show, I could NOT get my boots on, so I had to borrow this pair that were clunky and too short.....

I might also add that I was clearly not riding with Victor at this time --- my equitation has gone to hell in a handbasket, when compared to the MSG picture of 2 - 3 years earlier, (posted on the original thread..) I have always had the tendancy to duck (bigtime) and I was certainly caught doing it in this picture. Victor would have been appalled, after all his good work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

The previous "memories" thread is available in Adobe Acrobat pdf format, complete with pictures, all 12 pages. If anyone wants it to read or whatever, email me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Clifford C. Claven strikes again!

Hey Weatherford, Awesome picture----wouldn't happen to be at the Rockland County Youth Fair......Would it?
    Corner Stone Farm
    Weeki Wachee,FL .Follow us on FB!

Kryswyn, you're kidding! The picture was taken by a local photographer in Westport, CT. I have a copy and it appeared in the COTH in a group ad the barn did. I had no idea it ever went anywhere else (you don't still happen to have a copy of the poster, do you?)

By the way, the pony was sired by Shalbourne Pendragon (Welsh pony) out of Amber (TB polo pony) No Quarter horse in her breeding at all.

PamM, I love Lucky Me, she's an adorable pony. It's hard to tell from that picture if she looks like her dam or not, though. After breeding dogs for twenty years, I find sorting through old pedigrees fascinating.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I never met Gigi, maybe I have the name wrong as I guess I thought the person who sold the mare up here was more, "professional" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Bumpkin, for all I know, Gigi is now a "professional". She certainly racked up years of experience riding all sorts of different horses, and she's got to be financially independent, so she could afford to do the "horsey thang".

Lord, Marie looks so young! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] She did love to talk to the spectators. She didn't let the faster course designs stop her, either! Just because the course ended at the ingate doesn't mean she had to circle and leave. I can remember her cantering to the end of the ring at Washington and walking back along the rail to say hello and chat with her friends.

17htb - the bay horse pic was from St Bernards School show in NJ....
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

This is at a local fair in 1964. Dandy was the type of pony that every kid should have.(Used to keep him in the stall next my 4-H calf.)Rode him everywhere bareback. This was the costume class. That's my dog sitting beside with a bowler hat on. It was gymkhanna day with a whole bunch of games similliar to pony club to day. I have thought of having a summer party for adults and their horses with a bunch of gymkhanna games to do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This about 1974 +/-. A 17 hh mare in the greens, I think because the fence does not look that big. She went on to show in the open working when the fences were or appeared to be all 4ft. 6in. She went to Virginia in 76. I showed her in one of the first hunter classics held in Ontario. The fences were awesome for a hunter class. The first 5 horses were jumpers that "converted" for the day.

I am not 100% positive, but if my memory serves me correctly, I believe that I saw an old picture of Bold Minstral doing the hunters in a COTH in the last 6 or so months. I could be wrong with the time frame, but COTH is the only magazine that I look at. Possibly someone in their office could help.
    Also, how does one include a photo on the board without having a web-site?

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I wasn't even looking for it, but the photo of Bold Minstral jumping as a hunter is on page 6, of the June 16, 2000 issue.
    It is a solid green 2 page spread advertising the National Show Hunter Hall of Fame 2000 Inductees.
    Very nice pages, shows some great oldies, including Ellie-Wood Baxter and Barbara B. Davies. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

If you think that this is a long cold snowy winter ,imagine how long it would be, if this was how you got around!! This is my grandfather with one of his drivers somewhere around 1920+/-. He owned a livery stable, traded horses and was a blacksmith in a small town just north of Toronto. I still have the fur coat. It's very warm and is still in good shape. I used to wear it to football games in university. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(Kudos to Naomi Blumenthal, the show manager, who does a great job there!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, at all her shows!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

so now you all get to see ...

Midnight Star was the QH we bought for my Mother to hack around ... after we got rid of the western saddle, turned out he could JUMP! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

King of the Hill ... our New Holland 'pony' who grew up to be a small horse ... and to win at small events, retire the Junior Hunter Championship Trophy at Pickering Hunter Trials and go to Devon in the Junior Hunters. Mom's note on the back of the photo said that the fences were 3'9" in 1971.
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode