The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worst Mom Ever!

(There is a point to this story, I swear!)

The hubby and I took the kids to the "mainland" on Monday, after school. For those of you who don't know, we live on an island in the middle of nowhere, practically in Canada (extreme NW Washington state) and to get to civilization, we have to go to the mainland. Civilization being Target, malls etc.

Anyway, we got home around dinnertime and I was throwing something away in our trashcan. Hubby got the kids (son is 5, daughter is almost 4) out of the truck and they came over by me. I wasn't paying attention, probably ranting about something, as is my way...

I hooked my pinkie toe on the corner of the extra slant we had out of our horse trailer. Bent my pinkie toe all the way back and it knocked the slant divider over ON MY KIDS!

I was horrified! I'm a pretty laissez-faire when it comes to my kids, but I'd rather they not be under a slant divider. The kids are okay. The boy came out with two skinned knees and the girl was just scared (my son took the brunt of the slant).

Moral of the story... PUT YOUR STUFF AWAY! I took the slant out last Friday, when hauling our tbs to get shoes and "meant" to stick it on the side of the house, out of the way.

Damn I suck sometimes...
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

But it's such a lovely little island!

Glad the kids are okay.

I don't think you suck as a parent. Maybe a bit clutsy, but not sucky.

Cheers!
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

you probably cursed worse than a Sailor and that scared the kids!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Oh, you don't suck. And, take it from a mom with all 20 something's, that is not what they will remember. I am sure you are a great mom, we have all done things we wish we could change. Our oldest is getting married next weekend. I slammed her little three year old hand in the car door. She lived to tell and was no worse for it. I felt terrible, she teases me about it still.

Have a great Mothers Day
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Your not a bad Mom!

Two weeks ago I ran out to put the dog out. Wind picked up and slammed the door shut behind me, with my 2 month old sleeping in the house. Yea, of course it locked. I didn't even have shoes on. Ended up crawling from our neighbors back deck to ours, mission impossible style. All was well.

You'll laugh about it someday!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

If my Mom had horses, I wouldn't have cared if she beat me with slants.

Glad the kids are OK. Really, these little accidents are a blessing. They make us pay more attention before real bad things happen.

I laughed.

But I'm glad they're ok. My mom wasn't ever into my horses, so I would have been happy for her to have knocked a divider onto me. The only time she's ever seen the inside of a trailer was when I bought home a new one that was still squeaky clean.

Hey, can I borrow your children to crawl around sniffing for where my puppy peed?
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Superminion-get a spare key or two (one for the front and one for the back yards) put them in little plastic bottles, put in zip lock bags and bury them in a place you can find it easily. No more Mission Impossible stunts for you then.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I had my 7 month old baby on my hip and slammed her foot in the car door. That's a bad Mom. Then, fast forward to 5 years old; we're visting MIL and, as we were leaving, slammed her hand in the car door. I was praying it wasn't broken. I NEEDED to leave. It was the MIL, after all.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I had my 7 month old baby on my hip and slammed her foot in the car door. That's a bad Mom. Then, fast forward to 5 years old; we're visting MIL and, as we were leaving, slammed her hand in the car door. I was praying it wasn't broken. I NEEDED to leave. It was the MIL, after all.

See OP, we've all done stupid things and the kids all made it through!
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Quote Originally Posted by hollynanne View Post
    I wasn't paying attention, probably ranting about something, as is my way...

That is me!

I'm afraid you have a lot of competition for WME. I walked through doorways with both of my kids when they were infants without accounting for the added width from a sleeping baby. Head bonks, both times. You'd think I'd have remembered from the first baby but no.... I also remember checking on my son when he was supposed to be sleeping peacefully in his wind up baby swing and he had slumped over so far that he was repeatedly whacking his head on the legs of the swing. bonk bonk bonk bonk

Now that he's nearly 15 that explains a lot actually...

Oh dear, a kid-panini press LOL~~

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    That is me!

I'm afraid you have a lot of competition for WME. I walked through doorways with both of my kids when they were infants without accounting for the added width from a sleeping baby. Head bonks, both times. You'd think I'd have remembered from the first baby but no.... I also remember checking on my son when he was supposed to be sleeping peacefully in his wind up baby swing and he had slumped over so far that he was repeatedly whacking his head on the legs of the swing. bonk bonk bonk bonk

I'm so sorry... but I snorted my coffee at the bonk bonk bonk...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My six year old fell off her pony.... and I made her get back on and ride.... felt really really bad a few hours later sitting in the ER as they cast her broken arm.

Oops!

Haha! You guys are the best! Thanks for making me feel better.

Because he's 5... and a boy... Jack's been going around telling everyone that I dropped a door on him! Thanks, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    ...slumped over so far that he was repeatedly whacking his head on the legs of the swing. bonk bonk bonk bonk

Haha! That made me snort some coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Hey, can I borrow your children to crawl around sniffing for where my puppy peed?
    You can borrow them, but then you have to keep them. I'll warn you though... they are a little afraid of trailer dividers, for some reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you probably cursed worse than a Sailor and that scared the kids!
    OMG! The words that came out of my mouth, I think even made my hubby blush a little!

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    ...Maybe a bit clutsy, but not sucky.
    Maybe a little more than a little clutzy.
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

You guys are cracking me up!!!

My best horse-related one was cleaning the paddock and my son (3 y/o at the time was helping). I scooped up a shovel full, turned around to fling into much bucket, and smacked him full in the face with loaded shovel. Knocked him down and covered him in manure!

I dropped a mayonnaise jar on my 10 month old's head when she was crawling around in the kitchen in front of the fridge. She's allergic to horses so I never injured her horse-wise.....

And one of the most important questions..... How's your toe?

Glad your kids are OK. Although unfortunately I'm sure you'll be hearing about it long after they're into adulthood....
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I'm fairly certain that we don't remember things from when we were very young for a very good reason!
    I'm guilty too.
    1. The first time my son EVER rolled over, EVER, was when I stepped away from the changing table a whole 3 feet away to get clothes from the dresser.
    2. I learned why the baby carrier/bouncer says "do not leave unattended" when I got out of the shower and saw that somehow my daughter had bounced it clear over on top of her. She was strapped in and small enough that she was hanging suspended in a little cave, so it could have been worse.
    3. I completely lost my daughter on our property once.
    But DH is guilty too. He was riding our son on his shoulders and bouncing him up and down, but forgot that there is a beam between the living room and dining room. Ouch! My son didn't like to ride his shoulders after that.
    Fortunately none of these were serious injuries and even better, there are no memories of them either!