The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

We have photos availale for viewing at the show...we print onsite and offer digital images on CD's.....That being said...after the show for those who wish to shop after the show we Charge a $25.00 deposit to post online which is applied to the purchase....we also advise the customer as to how many images they have.. and if for some reason we see nothing but poor jumping shots..we advise tell the customer, feeling it isn't good business to charge for posting if we feel they won't find something they like...worse case is they buy nothing but have their images online for their viewing pleasure for one year....when posting complete shows with no deposit we found way too many posted on Facebook etc with proof across them....stolen from our website....

I would never pay to view proofs...and I have paid $$ to my show photographers for good shots.

I don't steal and don't want to be penalized for those that do. Why pay a fee to go into a store because others shoplifted? Amp up your security/penalties and not punish those that follow the rules.

I saw this for the first time at a dressage show this year. You could view the proofs while on site for no charge, but to access online, there was a pretty significant fee. I can see why they'd want to do that since people have no problem pulling proofs off the website and not purchasing them... But having been to more than one show where the photographer missed my horse in the class entirely or just didn't get any well timed ones that I'd want to buy, I would have a HARD time paying this fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Branam View Post
    We have photos availale for viewing at the show...we print onsite and offer digital images on CD's.....That being said...after the show for those who wish to shop after the show we Charge a $25.00 deposit to post online which is applied to the purchase....we also advise the customer as to how many images they have.. and if for some reason we see nothing but poor jumping shots..we advise tell the customer, feeling it isn't good business to charge for posting if we feel they won't find something they like...worse case is they buy nothing but have their images online for their viewing pleasure for one year....when posting complete shows with no deposit we found way too many posted on Facebook etc with proof across them....stolen from our website....
    Your website doesn't work though.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    Something like Photoshop and make online proofs mixed B/W and color. In a way to make them look freaky.. You could also watermark them and offer rewards for turning in theft and then the website might even name names of people caught.
    This. A friend of mine is semi pro photographer. Even her on-line posted photos have PROOF emblazoned across them, so little point in "stealing" them off the internet. $50 to look? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    This. A friend of mine is semi pro photographer. Even her on-line posted photos have PROOF emblazoned across them, so little point in "stealing" them off the internet.
    Clearly you only know really honest people or never venture off your own Facebook page.
    There are people all over FB (and other places) who have photos that say proof right across them.
    Adding a watermark does not stop people.

And I have, in the past and while being HEAVILY pressured by a family member, removed watermarks from photographs. It's not that hard.

I think slapping a big ole Joe Boxer smiley over the face of the horse or rider would be a bigger deterrent.

IE: THIS took me a titch over two minutes, including d/l'ing it off my FB page and then uploading to my photobucket account to link (so my friends don't think I'm bonkers).
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yep Jenners, I think that would definitely deter stealing!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    And I have, in the past and while being HEAVILY pressured by a family member, removed watermarks from photographs. It's not that hard.

I think slapping a big ole Joe Boxer smiley over the face of the horse or rider would be a bigger deterrent.

IE: THIS took me a titch over two minutes, including d/l'ing it off my FB page and then uploading to my photobucket account to link (so my friends don't think I'm bonkers).
    What? No helmet?

OK, is it sad that I briefly considered a helmet on the smiley??? But I wanted to be quick to prove a point!!

3 members found this post helpful.

That does not look like proper hunter hair under that helmet, Jenner.

The pros at my events, almost all take horrid photos. Out of focus, rider not in shot, off centered, and odd take off/landing shots. My BF bought me a nice camera 4 years ago and he comes to most of my events and takes my photos. 10x better than the "pro" pics and he does metal fabrication and upholstery for a job. Not like he takes pro pics for a job.

So honestly, photographers need to get better at mailing pics for the llarge price, need to take better pics, and/or be nice to those considering buying pics. I feel horrible for the ones that have been ripped off due to people stealing pics and proofs. I report them to the photographer when I see that. But charging money to see proofs, yeah no thanks.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

My old Photgrapher would mail the hard copies with the ugly PROOF on them. No electronic pics. I dont know if enough bought them from her to make it worth while but it wouldn't be as easy to just save and edit.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I don't know.. I still have a difficult time wrapping my mind around purchasing a computer print out as a photograph. But then again I still do film as a ammie photographer as I get red eye no matter what set up I have used point n shoot and a real nice dslr no go.

I have to wonder how difficult it would be for the show photographer whe he hands off the memory card to his assistant for that assistant to make a "contact sheet" for those who may want to buy photos so they can see them? Or even a "contact sheet" of all off the competors and put them away and sent if asked, and they have 6mts to a year to order then they get tossed out and memory gets wiped. Then printed, when ordered off contact sheet. That is how they can prevent (not all but some) the theft of their photos.
    Friend of bar .ka