The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I will only make light of this because he appears to be doing better...

I think he just needed a man around who could understand what he was going through!

GotGait is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    I wonder if the more minor procedures are worse for owners because the vet probably lets the dogs go home quicker? Mine came home after a tumor removal and was less goofy than after her teeth cleaning. Post the "real" surgery, she was just sleepy; after the cleaning, she was loopy and restless.
    He stayed overnight because my vet said they could get him past the initial hurdle. I figured that meant he would be easier to deal with when I got him.
    I really think it was the pain meds. He's pretty much ok today and isn't on them. He puts his tail up when he's outside, but drops it when he comes in - and gives me a pathetic squeak.
    Yesterday was nonstop squeaking.
    We actually went to bed at 7:30 hoping he would collapse while we watched TV and that's what happened.

But ljcfoh, my hubby can't relate to him. He hasn't been neutered.
    He did cry like mad when hubby got home like, "Look what she's done to meeeeeeeeee! BWAAAAAAAAALLLL!"
    Shibas are very dramatic once you figure out something is NQR. They're so stoic beforehand that it's very hard to tell they're sick. I think mine bottles it all up and unleashes it after whatever he has gets fixed.

Sounds to me like he's dysphoric. It can happens frequently with low doses of valium (makes them excitable instead of calm).

Original Poster

He's better but still moping. He only has the typical Shiba curly tail when he's gets to go for a walk.

Haven't read the replies, but often opiates do have this effect. It ought to pass by morning

Original Poster

Once he started eating dog food again I put down some of that RedPaw I bought and he's been chowing down on it ever since. He's terribly picky about kibble, but he's really loving it. Good since he lost a lot of weight when I couldn't get him to eat before and after surgery.
    He's doing great now. Can't show him anymore, but it's not like I've been able to show him lately anyway.

That's awesome news GotGait! I'm glad he's doing better and likes the Redpaw! Mine sure do and they are doing awesome on it.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama